Yet another heads thread

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well spent some time on the truck, got it all stripped down minus actually pulling the heads. I got all the head bolts out, but the rear most one on the drivers side is fighting me to get out, it's interfering with the firewall. Any tricks? Or pull it with the head? Passenger side is all off with the air box out of the way.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Do they swap out injector cups?
That's a good question. I believe there's a spec for how long the crack is. I'll leave it up to Justin to determine.

Block deck is all cleaned up.

So for this cooling mod, do I just knock out the 4 freeze plugs on the deck? That's the gist of what I was understanding in that thread.

How about the holes? Engine is going to be exposed until I get the heads. I'm going to throw a plastic bag over the engine until I get the heads back, but I want to prevent rusting. Should I spray some WD40 in the holes or soak it with a little oil?

Edit, I just put a little oil in each hole, barred the engine over a few times, then left each piston a pinch below deck with a shallow pool of oil in the corner. Covered it up with a few engine blankets and plastic, should be fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
When switching to the 90cc pump, do I need to get a better lift pump? I'm still using the mechanical one.
I asked Justin @ R&D about this one a year ago or so. He told me back then the stock lift pump can do an 80cc no problem, but the 90cc's are hit or miss. He said some of the factory pumps can and others just don't flow enough to keep up. I would guess that condition of the lift pump probably plays a big role in this.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'll try running the stock pump for now. I had replaced it about 2012ish, and it's never let me down, but an e pump isn't outside the budget if I need it.

Stripped the heads down, got all my fittings off of them, just gotta box them up and sent them to Justin.

Man I hope I get these back soon. Having my truck down is making me nervous.

But on another note, finally installed this sucker in the optimal location since access was moderate.

You must be registered for see images attach

Anyone interested in my old valley pan? I made sure to not ding it up when taking it off. I have a new one to use.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I spray some WD40 in the holes or soak it with a little oil?
I would not use WD-40 on the bores...just oil...

I tried that on a 302 with real good pistons one time long ago and it ruined the pistons...pitted all around the ring lands...

That was an expensive and disappointing lesson...

What do you want for the valley pan..?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
WD40 was the go to cause it's an alternative to use when fogging an engine, but I loaded some 15w40 into an oil can and used that.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, when pulling the locating dowels out of the heads, I messed one up really badly, it was really stuck in there! Does anyone have a source for new ones, or is that something Justin will have?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Heads are shipped. Fun fact, 183lbs combined on a pallet.

One other thing I forgot to mention was I had asked Justin about the mechanical lift pump feeding the 90cc pump, he said about 50% work fine, the other half don't, it depends on the quality of the lift pump.

THSIM9

Reaction score
Nice! We are on very similar timelines. I just got my heads back last week. (Not from Justin) last parts I’m waiting on are the pump and injectors coming back from CDD. I got my new pistons installed last weekend, hoping to get the heads on this week and start getting ready to stab this thing back in the truck. I probably aught to start my own build thread…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online