Question about fuel filter housing

Sparks-IDI

Reaction score
Well my fuel filter heater started leaking bad so it needed fixed asap. I have read that most guys generally remove it and plug the hole and simply eliminate it. Since I am in Florida, I also saw no need for the heater and figured I would do the same. I did not do the typical 1/2 NPT pipe thread and plug the hole, because I did not want to modify/destroy the housing just in case I ever wanted to re-install a heater. So I came up with a scheme that does not modify the hole in the adapter.

What my question is in regard to is the return line port. When I took the housing apart, I found a spring sitting in the housing as seen in the picture. I did some measuring, see dim. sheet. With the dimensions I measured, a 5/16 dia. check ball would fit at the end of the spring and up against the .260 dia. step. What I want to know, can anyone confirm there that there should be a check ball or check disc there that would fit up against the spring? I have had some issues of air in the injector system, after sitting overnight.

Attachments

• Housing with loose spring.jpg
    Housing with loose spring.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 24
  • Return Port Dimensions.jpg
    Return Port Dimensions.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Return Line Fitting and Spring Assy.jpg
    Return Line Fitting and Spring Assy.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Housing Machined.jpg
    Housing Machined.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Manufactured Heater Plug.jpg
    Manufactured Heater Plug.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Sparks-IDI

Reaction score
Some additional photos.

Attachments

• Heater Plug Installed 01.jpg
    Heater Plug Installed 01.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Heater Plug Installed 02.jpg
    Heater Plug Installed 02.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Filter Assembled 01.jpg
    Filter Assembled 01.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 14

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a thread.

Another

Another

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what you did with that heater plug. I have a spare filter head that I intend to mount after the fuel tank selector valve and before the electric fuel pump, which I have mounted on a frame rail. The plan is to have a water separator for additional filtration. What type of material did you use to make that plug? I presume that's a buna type "o" ring, right? Lastly, how well has it been working as far as being leak free?