7.3 Filter Head Checkvalve

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I need the check valve found on the 7.3 filter head. I have seen them available somewhere but I don't recall which Ebay seller was offering them. Anyone know who sells them. I never have had this air bleed off on my filter head and am wondering where the trapped air goes that is found in the filter area. My onlt thoughts is its going thru my Moose pump and we do not want that happening. All I have is a fuel in and a fuel out line. No real way for the air to bleed off. I understand how these check valves operate. They bleed off the air till the fuel pushes closed the spring and ball in it. Really simple operation. The only one I have you can see right thru it. When I bought the truck many years ago this valve was capped off with a rubber cover. Why.. I still don't know... Naybe the owner had the wrong return line kit that didn't offer the correct caps for this to operate...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
E8TZ9K061A - Check Valve, Filter Return fits Ford 7.3L 1988, 1989, 1990 & early 1991 with 3/16 return inch line

E9TZ9K061A - Check Valve, filter return fits 1/4 inch hose Late 1991 to Early 1992 Ford IDI 7.3 L

Sold here: http://oregonfuelinjection.com/index.php?pid=12 scroll down to the fuel filter assembly repair parts section, the last two parts (no pictures).

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also wondering the same thing, I changed mine out this weekend and installed the electric fuel pump and if I take the hose off the check valve with the pump running fuel squirts out I thought it was meant to return fuel to the filter head not the other way around. Can someone explain it to a Georgia Boy?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
;pThis valve is designed to vent off air that ends up in the filter. As I had posted eraly on. My truck never had this system setup but I had the valve. Truck runs like a scaulded dog but where is the air going. I just paid $2.00 for one at my favorite pick a part... It was a pocket part. Everyone knows I steal the small pocket stuff seeing I just paid the entry fee. This time I found an older galvanized funnel so I placed that in my blue Nappa 5 gallon bucket and showed it when I wlaked out the exit check point. Nice heavy duty funnel too. Not some plastic wallmart **** from crapland china that some poor ******* here lost his or her job to when they could make a cheaper throwaway funnel. It even has a clip ring to hang it on... Same thing grandad used so you know its going to outlive me... Maybe I should paint it blue and donate it to the blue truck crew....:eek:

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the fuel in the return lines flowed around the injectors and back to the filter head but if I understand you correctly it flows in the opposite direction am I correct?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... The fuel flows out of the filter head and into the return line system. Then it exits out the back cylinder number 8 return line header manifold at the firewall. More fuel is sent thru the pump and return system than is actually burned in the engine per minute. The fuel is lube and cooling too for all the mechanical parts it touches.