Bad filter head check valve..

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well reading thru ld post's i found that i should check the condition of the retern hose check valve on my filter head. I checked it earlier and i's wide open, not working at all.. Any chance it's to blame for the hard start issue?? Funny thing is it said in the older post's that the check valve being bad wuld cause air to get into the filter head causing a hard start. However every time i've pulled the filter it's been completly full.. So should i replace it, or will it not make any diferance.

Here's the valve i speech of..
You must be registered for see images attach

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I would say if you pull it and can see through it, replace it. It could just be some air in your return lines causing the hard start, but that check valve is almost for sure the culprit. Also, just in case you have a small lift pump issue like I do, try parking the truck facing downhill. Mine always starts great like that. If I face it uphill, hard starts...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i pulled mine out with no noticable issues, mine is just plugged now so i can switch my fuel supply for WMO. they help but are not neccisary.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My rig has never ever had this check valve in the filter head. I understand it has a spring and ball in it. Any trapped air will pass thru it but fuel causes the ball to stop flow. I dought you can buy just this valve but try anyway...

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guy's saying i don't even need a return for the filter head and i could just plug it??

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
How do ya know iffin its bad? This the port the return lines goes to? I removed a bunch of stuff from mine and i dont rememeber what was where.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it's a return hose for the filter head, when you remove it you look thru the hole.. If you can see light thru it it's bad, the check valve should always be closed unless fuel is flowing thru it.. Thats how i understand it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea i removed and plugged mine since i have two filters and a solenoid to switch between the fuel systems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online