Best location for a fuel CHECK VALVE???

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to be proactive with hunting down air intrusion in order to beat difficult hard starts. The check valve should prevent fuel drain back.

So I would think the best place to install a fuel check valve in these trucks would be in the soft fuel delivery line just before the lift pump inlet nipple?

& If you have deleted the headlines then I think another good location is at the fuel inlet going in the IP if you have a soft line.

Is there any benefit to running more than 1 check valve? I would think no, so long as it’s positioned anywhere on the fuel line after the fuel selector valve

Is this on the right train of thought?

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
My truck's previous owner put one between the lift pump & filter housing which just seems odd.

I was thinking of putting one directly on the 1/4 (?) npt inlet of the lift pump and then just like you suggested before the IP.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to be proactive with hunting down air intrusion in order to beat difficult hard starts. The check valve should prevent fuel drain back.

So I would think the best place to install a fuel check valve in these trucks would be in the soft fuel delivery line just before the lift pump inlet nipple?

& If you have deleted the headlines then I think another good location is at the fuel inlet going in the IP if you have a soft line.

Is there any benefit to running more than 1 check valve? I would think no, so long as it’s positioned anywhere on the fuel line after the fuel selector valve

Is this on the right train of thought?
Nope. What about all the return lines from the injectors and the ip, that all gather together and run down the back of the engine to the fuel tank? That is where the fuel goes when air comes in. And you can't put a check valve in that line.

The fuel needs to go back to the tank when the engine is running. I had the idea of a electrical solenoid in this line to plug the line with the ignition off. But I have never tried it and I do not think anyone else has either. And a solenoid would be another piece to fail later on.

Just keep after it till you find all the minor leaks.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only check valve you need is in the return port of the injection pump.
anything else, youre spending time to remedy a problem without fixing the actual problem.

I’m interested in understanding this better. I don’t have any knowledge of what goes on inside that pump. Can you explain why a check valve would be beneficial on the return port of the IP? Currently I don’t have any check valve on my system

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in understanding this better. I don’t have any knowledge of what goes on inside that pump. Can you explain why a check valve would be beneficial on the return port of the IP? Currently I don’t have any check valve on my system
The factory return fitting on top of the IP has a check valve in it.

James

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fuel in the bowl has a check valve to release excess pressure

Attachments

• 81365970_2507107599609173_1294048344632459264_n.jpg
    81365970_2507107599609173_1294048344632459264_n.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 14

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the check valves you need in the system are already present.

There are 2 in the mechanical lift pump, and 1 in the injection pump. Any others added would be redundant and unnecessary.