And so it begins!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
After battling with pneumonia for the last 2 months, I've finally got the 7.3 in place. I need to finish building the motor mounts and then yank the engine and trans back out to clearance the firewall a bit for the turbo downpipes. Once that's done, it all goes back in and I can start hooking things up. It actually fit better than I thought, and, if it didn't have a turbo, it wouldn't need to come out again. I can't wait to pay $4.00/gal to get 3x the fuel milage of the gasser!;Sweet

Attachments

• dually.jpg
    dually.jpg
    667.7 KB · Views: 378

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After battling with pneumonia for the last 2 months, I've finally got the 7.3 in place. I need to finish building the motor mounts and then yank the engine and trans back out to clearance the firewall a bit for the turbo downpipes. Once that's done, it all goes back in and I can start hooking things up. It actually fit better than I thought, and, if it didn't have a turbo, it wouldn't need to come out again. I can't wait to pay $4.00/gal to get 3x the fuel milage of the gasser!;Sweet

Man o man! That's quite a project you have going there. Looking really good. The turbo is worth the trouble!LOL Keep us in the loop.

Heath

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Thats how GM should have done it to begin with!

It does almost look like it was made to go in there. Only needed a slight notch in the frame for the rightside header to clear. I'll keep refering to it as an IH though.LOL

More pics to come as I complete things.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Man o man! That's quite a project you have going there. Looking really good. The turbo is worth the trouble!LOL Keep us in the loop. Heath

For the short amount of driving I did in the donor truck, I was impressed that it could get that much weight moving that quickly. Much better than the 454, and since I'm at 4500ft, it should tow quite nicely. Not looking for massive HP, just enough to get out of it's own way. Could have gone with a Cummins, but I got the whole truck for less than just an engine, which is saving me time and $$$. Plus I like to be kinda unique. Or is it weird?:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow comes to mind... Gees, you don't have to change the vacuum booster for the brakes either. It already has the hydroboost setup... Just like any 1 ton truck should have from the factory..... I really love the hydroboost on my 89 Crew Ford and my 79 standard cab Chevy truck.....;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, Hydroboost is awesome - after I converted it my '79 short stepper halfton Chevy would lift the rear axle off the ground if I floored the brakes, it was a scarey experience from inside teh cab but I've been told by people following me that they damn near creamed their pants when they saw daylight under the tries :D God help you if you try that on wet pavement though, I had the brake-turn-throttle-turn-brake routine mastered after a few times it did a 360 during a panic stop on the freeway, still stopped faster than people in the next lane tho :D

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Wow comes to mind... Gees, you don't have to change the vacuum booster for the brakes either. It already has the hydroboost setup... Just like any 1 ton truck should have from the factory..... I really love the hydroboost on my 89 Crew Ford and my 79 standard cab Chevy truck.....;Sweet

That was a big plus too. I do need the vacuum pump to operate the heater controls though, I was hoping to get rid of it.

Now for a question to those in the know, the donor truck came with a US Gear exhaust brake, do I use it or lose it? I've read this engine doesn't do well with extra load on the valve train. Fact or myth?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to do the torque converter lockup mod? If you do you cam just leave the converter locked when decelerating and when going downhill, tis supposed to work real good, so maybe no exhaust brake necessary?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Are you going to do the torque converter lockup mod? If you do you cam just leave the converter locked when decelerating and when going downhill, tis supposed to work real good, so maybe no exhaust brake necessary?

That's what I've been thinking.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some really good pics when you get this done ,;Sweet I have a diehard chevy guy at work that is going to s&*# himself when he see's it.:D We will call it a ford engine for his benefit.:rotflmao :rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, your not the only converted Chevy here. Looks good! Congrats. ;Sweet

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, your not the only converted Chevy here. Looks good! Congrats. ;Sweet

I'll be the second (as far as I know). I saw his after I decided to do mine and have asked him some questions. He also did way more than I'm planning though!

If you happen to see a shot of my plate, it reads R MOOSE. We named it way before I thought about becoming an oil burner, so I'm not trying to copy you!;p