Advice on new suspension for the dually

chumwon

Reaction score
Hello again everyone! I think it's finally time I gave the ole girls suspension some love. After my last trip to the U.P last weekend I managed to break one rear leaf spring in half... it has the 4+1 leaf pack with a helper spring above it. Also has what I call redneck airbags in the rear, two giant rubber bump spots that sit 3/4 of an inch above my axle housing. The suspension is very soft an bouncy up front with the stupid weak ttb coils. And the rear smacks my bump spots with every bump in the road. My spine and the poor truck can't take it anymore. Found some 6+1 springs from SD springs with a 4200lbs load rating. And I haven't found something I'm real impressed with for the front either but I'm having a hard time getting the damn ttb to align straight an I'm hoping it's because of wore out springs. Just looking to see what others have done for aftermarket suspension. I'm just trying to get my 1 ton to ride like a 1 ton again. I'm 125lbs an can get on that front or back of this ***** an make it hope like it's got hydralics or something......:(:dunno

Thanks in advance everyone!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You put those stiffer heavy duty springs under it, it will definitely cause spine problems. I would take those rubber things off the rear. They were put on to keep it from sagging under a load. As long as it's not excessive, sagging is not a bad thing. That is why the factory trucks all have a rake with them being higher in the rear. They designed it to have a soft ride and as you load it down the rearend comes down till it hits the overloads. All that goes out the window with all these frontend "leveling kits". With only 3/4" travel in the rear, that is why it rides so rough.

On the frontend, you probably have worn parts. Afterall, it's a 1992 model. Once the worn parts are replaced it should come in and hold an alignment. Don't become a ttb hater, there are millions of those suspensions still on the road, not every truck needs a dana 60.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not every truck needs a dana 60.

I would disagree with that....every 3/4 ton plus 4wd should have come with a d60 from the factory lol I do agree with removing the rubber bump stops, my 96 19k pound f-superduty has them and they work great to help out with the low weight rating on the truck, actually rides really good with them, but on a pickup I can see the ride becoming a little harsh lol.

chumwon

Reaction score
You put those stiffer heavy duty springs under it, it will definitely cause spine problems. I would take those rubber things off the rear. They were put on to keep it from sagging under a load. As long as it's not excessive, sagging is not a bad thing. That is why the factory trucks all have a rake with them being higher in the rear. They designed it to have a soft ride and as you load it down the rearend comes down till it hits the overloads. All that goes out the window with all these frontend "leveling kits". With only 3/4" travel in the rear, that is why it rides so rough.

On the frontend, you probably have worn parts. Afterall, it's a 1992 model. Once the worn parts are replaced it should come in and hold an alignment. Don't become a ttb hater, there are millions of those suspensions still on the road, not every truck needs a dana 60.

I wondered if those stops came on it factory or if someone put them on there. I get no where near my over load spring ever....so yeah maybe I remove them, see how I like the ride, then maybe real airbags eventually! I wanted to throw a 60 under her an make it 4wd but I've decided to perfect the ttb. It's got all new parts up front besides coils, radius arm bushings, and the pivot bushings. I want to fix it all at once when I have more confidence that it won't tip the top of my front tires out even farther then they already are. Still have to separate one stack of leafs an try to replace the one I broke aswell..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If u hve coils then u have TIB TWIN I BEAM not TTB TWIN TRACTION BEAM...there is a difference...one is 2 wd one is 4wd

chumwon

Reaction score
google up "sulastic spring shackle"
and then....there's the kelderman air ride system :O

That sulastic spring shackle looks extremely intriguing! Have you had any experience with these shackles? Love the concept if that'll hold up over time

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 91 is nice and stiff in the front, but I think the rear might be tired, Dually previously owned by a cattle rancher lol!

If you swap out to the superduty springs I'd love your input. I don't mind the ride on mine now but I always figured better ride = more sag loaded. Maybe not though?

If you hate those large bumpstops send them my way. My half ton plow truck could use a set lol!

Someone on here was praising Bilstein shocks. I think I'm going to save up for a set myself.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it turns out the op has the TIB(2x4) front end, I agree with you on the TTB setups. I'm pretty impressed with the overall solid design of the leaf-sprung TTB, and as long as your bushings are in good shape(and they aren't particularly expensive, either, aside from the labor to install), I've never seen issues with tire wear that everyone says is so common.

It just /works/. And it's solid enough that I don't need to worry about it falling apart when driving over potholes in poorly-maintained dirt roads!