7.1L IDI engine

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhere I remember seeing a 7.1L idi engine. The company I think put 7.3L heads on a 6.9L, or it was the other way around. Anyone know what I am talking about?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
A 7.1L would be a bored out 6.9, heads have nothing to do with it except you'd have to use the 6.9 heads on that 7.1.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.1 L would be half of the overbore to make a 7.3. I think the difference is .110, so a .055 overbore would make 7.1L (displacements are all rounded up or down so the exact bore to displacement would have to be calculated by bore and stroke).

The 6.9L and 7.3L blocks have the same water jackets, so any 6.9 can be bored to 7.3L or more barring cavitation perforation.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I had thought about rebuilding my old 6.9 and boring it .060 over and bolting heads from a 7.3 on it. However, the head bolts for a 7.3 are 1/2" and the 6.9 uses 7/16" head bolts. I contacted a couple machine shops and it is possible to have a custom set of head studs made that are 7/16" to thread into the 6.9 head and 1/2" on the top for the 7.3 head to sit on. I'm still debating to do it or not. I figured that only going .060 over would still leave some "meat" on the cylinder walls and still increase my displacement to approx. a 7.1L engine.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I had thought about rebuilding my old 6.9 and boring it .060 over and bolting heads from a 7.3 on it. However, the head bolts for a 7.3 are 1/2" and the 6.9 uses 7/16" head bolts. I contacted a couple machine shops and it is possible to have a custom set of head studs made that are 7/16" to thread into the 6.9 head and 1/2" on the top for the 7.3 head to sit on. I'm still debating to do it or not. I figured that only going .060 over would still leave some "meat" on the cylinder walls and still increase my displacement to approx. a 7.1L engine.

Geez that would get expensive for those studs. If you were going to go that far I say just have the machine shop drill and tap for 9/16" studs in both the head and engine, blowing head gaskets would be a thing of the past ;Sweet

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
How about sleeving a 7.3 to downsize it?

No need to down size it. Milodon makes an extra thick HD sleeve for the 7.3L. So you get a cylinder wall thicker than a 6.9L with a 7.3L bore. And is made from a much better material that resist cavition and overall wear.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I'm sorry Melling not Milodon Melling part #CSL 2274 HP is the 7.3L extra thick sleeve I have used in the past. And they are available.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i assume you would still need to find a machine shop capable of properly putting in the sleeves then. i have heard stories of Dave Spanogle SP? from the other list having the sleeves drop out on a couple of his remaned engines.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember who it was that re-sleeved their 7.3L engine awhile back, but they said that they had the machine shop leave a shoulder at the bottom of each bore for the sleeve to sit on. Thus preventing the sleeve from moving down in the bore while running. My understanding is that most machine shops run a straight bore with no shoulder and this allows the sleeves to move which of course ruins the engine.
Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online