6.9idi head retorqueing.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
reading this thread it seems the advice is to torque the head bolts even if there is no obvious problems
since it's advised to loosen then tighten each bolt would it be acceptable to replace the bolts one at a time
I wouldn't necessarily say it is advisable, but many get away with it.
Even newer engines people are doing it that way. (Cummins, powerstrokes)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
reading this thread it seems the advice is to torque the head bolts even if there is no obvious problems
since it's advised to loosen then tighten each bolt would it be acceptable to replace the bolts one at a time
I don't think that you can get all of them out with the HVAC box still in the engine bay.

Black dawg

Reaction score

I didnt read the whole thread, but in my experience the 6.9 head bolts are really fragile. I would not be messing with them unless there was an obvious issue. Even then, the damage to the gasket is already done and might as well fix it correctly.

I had the heads off of one last week that no bolts broke removing them..........that is the first time that has ever happened.

I say leave them alone, unless you are ready to pull the heads anyway.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt read the whole thread, but in my experience the 6.9 head bolts are really fragile. I would not be messing with them unless there was an obvious issue. Even then, the damage to the gasket is already done and might as well fix it correctly.

I had the heads off of one last week that no bolts broke removing them..........that is the first time that has ever happened.

I say leave them alone, unless you are ready to pull the heads anyway.

What if you're turboing a 6.9 truck?

Leave the bolts and chance gasket failure or would you try and remove the bolts to swap for studs?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Just be careful, have the engine at room temp or warmer if you can, break the bolts loose (by hand) a 1/4-1/2 a turn, then retorque back to spec or a little better if you choose. (by hand). Yes anything can break, but I have yet to break any head bolt on anything (knock on wood), so long as I don't get cocky and start being rough with things

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online