“The 6.9” project thread

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last cummins I had to R&R you had to remove the valve cover and both rear rockers to squeeze the engine out from underneath the cowl. So much for assembling a clean engine on the stand and then installing it. I'm sure I missed a few bits of the firewall/cowl insulation after I scraped the new engine on it going back in. Truthfully, IDK why I didn't raise the cab for it, as nearly all makes require you to do that now. Heck it's getting so common for so many components it's laughable. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they weld the hood shut and just have the whole cab/front clip raise up via hydraulics like the cabover semis used to do. It's not like the average joe checks their oil anymore anyways. I have to tell people multiple times per week to do that, especially when their 3 year old car starts to burn the "allowed" quart per 1k miles and burns through the entire crankcase per oil change.

And people question me when I say electric cars would be beneficial for the public. We're already at the point where people just get in and drive across the country without checking an F'ing thing. Pre-check before a trip? Never heard of it.........

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Shoot, some class A drivers don't even do pre trips... You should see some of the heaps I have to work on at times. Some of them were so bad we had to decline all work due to liability of everything else around the engine.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy Vince bought this. 7.3 with factory turbo kit and e4od. Runs awesome. Except the other day we were resealing the turbo and we cut out a bunch of wires from the glow plug harness because the relay was still behind the intake lol. I disconnected the relay power wires, the signal wire, and then the ground wire. I’m not sure if it’s coincidental but I’m assuming we messed something up because now there is no tach and because of that he has no overdrive.

I gotta look at it but I’m guessing a ground or something. Y’all have any ideas?

Are you sure it didn't get unplugged? I don't know why the Tach wires would be in the back but I can't remember how they're routed for sure. I think they're in the harness with the IP wires? Maybe it just finally died?

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m probably going to make you guys mad but I find the undercarriage of this cummins extreme pretty to look at.

So you would fall for the bait from daisy duke that is a trap...
:joker:

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y’all will be excited to hear that…. I haven’t done jack **** to my truck because I’ve been busy. Really miss being 16. Anyways. My girlfriend got her insurance crap settled and got a pretty nice settlement. We just bought her “replacement”. Exactly the same as her old one, 4.0 automatic 4x4. This one only has 115k on it, and it was owned by an old lady. I don’t know where she finds these pristine trucks at but I need her to start shopping for me LOL

Attachments

• 0F17E8E8-4C38-41A5-BAB0-510C8F364E0A.jpeg
    0F17E8E8-4C38-41A5-BAB0-510C8F364E0A.jpeg
    360.8 KB · Views: 14

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y’all will be excited to hear that…. I haven’t done jack **** to my truck because I’ve been busy. Really miss being 16. Anyways. My girlfriend got her insurance crap settled and got a pretty nice settlement. We just bought her “replacement”. Exactly the same as her old one, 4.0 automatic 4x4. This one only has 115k on it, and it was owned by an old lady. I don’t know where she finds these pristine trucks at but I need her to start shopping for me LOL
I used to know a guy that would show up with the most pristine unique rare ford cars and trucks for cheep and sell them at extreme prices. I couldn't figure it out either.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful lookin truck. Better keep your GF and dont go shopping for another one...LOL

Looks like you live in an apt complex.
Yeah 16, and you were living on the farm, 18 or so they boot you out the door to the cold cruel world.

18 and I was in Uncle Sams Yacht Club...
Later on, the"Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club".

You must be registered for see images

Goat

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful lookin truck. Better keep your GF and dont go shopping for another one...LOL

Looks like you live in an apt complex.
Yeah 16, and you were living on the farm, 18 or so they boot you out the door to the cold cruel world.

18 and I was in Uncle Sams Yacht Club...
Later on, the"Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club".

You must be registered for see images

Goat
Nah I don’t live in an apartment. That was actually the lady’s retirement home.

My mommy and daddy still let me live with them so I’m thinking by the time I retire I can afford to move out. At least here in California LOL. I’m hoping I can build a house out on the family property. Also…. Thank you for your service. My dads a marine, cousins are in the navy, and I just drive a skid steer around. Where did I go wrong LOL

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last cummins I had to R&R you had to remove the valve cover and both rear rockers to squeeze the engine out from underneath the cowl. So much for assembling a clean engine on the stand and then installing it. I'm sure I missed a few bits of the firewall/cowl insulation after I scraped the new engine on it going back in. Truthfully, IDK why I didn't raise the cab for it, as nearly all makes require you to do that now. Heck it's getting so common for so many components it's laughable. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they weld the hood shut and just have the whole cab/front clip raise up via hydraulics like the cabover semis used to do. It's not like the average joe checks their oil anymore anyways. I have to tell people multiple times per week to do that, especially when their 3 year old car starts to burn the "allowed" quart per 1k miles and burns through the entire crankcase per oil change.

And people question me when I say electric cars would be beneficial for the public. We're already at the point where people just get in and drive across the country without checking an F'ing thing. Pre-check before a trip? Never heard of it.........
Haha, the incompetence here being semi-related here but how about the people who do try to maintain their car but never picked up the manual or looked at a YouTube video.

Next thing you know they’ve royally screwed up so bad that the mechanic is draining straight coolant out of the oil drain plug ‍

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder to all in case you were not aware -

1) It is ok to use a lesser PSI rated cap in a pinch. (I will remember Chillman's trick if I ever spring a little leak.)
Pardon me dredging up an old tip but what is this trick of Chillman’s if one ever springs a small leak??? Is the trick to specifically use a lower psi radiator cap should you ever spring a leak because the lower psi cap reduces overall pressure in the coolant system?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Where did I go wrong
Considering that you're driving a truck powered by an IDI and you're not afraid to work on it, nowhere! Only different.
Pardon me dredging up an old tip but what is this trick of Chillman’s if one ever springs a small leak??? Is the trick to specifically use a lower psi radiator cap should you ever spring a leak because the lower psi cap reduces overall pressure in the coolant system?
Yes. It may help to eliminate the leak or at least reduce it until you can get it fixed.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, the incompetence here being semi-related here but how about the people who do try to maintain their car but never picked up the manual or looked at a YouTube video.

Next thing you know they’ve royally screwed up so bad that the mechanic is draining straight coolant out of the oil drain plug ‍

I have been watching the YouTube channel Just Rolled In… which are ~3 minute videos of “Customer States”….. some of them are doosies…….

One of the recent videos had a vehicle in the shop with a coolant in the oil complaint…. Someone had connected the PCV Valve hose to the coolant overflow barb on the radiator…….

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm an advocate that everyone should know how to work on their car a little, like being able to change their own oil, and change a flat. But then there's some people who shouldn't be allowed near tools....
Plus newer cars are making it dang hard to change their oil. My audi doesn't even have a dipstick, it's got a digital gauge I look at through the radio. What a joke.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been watching the YouTube channel Just Rolled In… which are ~3 minute videos of “Customer States”….. some of them are doosies…….

One of the recent videos had a vehicle in the shop with a coolant in the oil complaint…. Someone had connected the PCV Valve hose to the coolant overflow barb on the radiator…….
I watch the same channel, multiple like it actually. One I saw last week(not sure of which channel) customer changed their own oil, and had a shifting complaint afterwards. Come to find out they dumped the trans fluid instead of the engine oil, and then overfilled the engine by 6 quarts. There's no way they pulled and checked the dipstick after that, and thought it a-okay. Who changes the oil and doesn't pull the dipstick after to verify? Our oil guns all have counters on them and are accurate to the .01 of a quart, but I still don't trust them that much not to pull the stick.

I actually had a customer of mine do his own oil change and had a leak afterwards. It was a 2.2 eco-tech which uses a cartridge filter and reusable plastic cap similar to a 6.0 powerstroke. I had to show him how to remove and replace the o-ring off the cap because he'd never done it in the 6 years and dozens of oil changes since owning the car, and he had no idea what the o-ring included with the filter was for....... FWIW the old o-ring was brittle, fell apart, and had a piece missing, which is why it leaked.

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I figured I would kinda use this as a way to compile all my work and really just a way to look back at some good memories of my truck. So here is my truck.

it started out as a high mileage 6.9 with an ats 088 turbo and a c6 automatic. It wasnt running at all when I got it. The first thing we did was put new glow plugs in it, and new batteries. After a couple minutes of cranking and bleeding air we were able to get it running and it wasn’t running terrible. I drove it like this for probably a year. All I did during that time is put some used tires on it, change the oil, injectors and IP from Napa, and a new radio with some nice speakers.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hey i just started this from the begining, i have the same turbo kit, did you find a paper elememt ? I havent been able to just k&n