“The 6.9” project thread

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pardon me dredging up an old tip but what is this trick of Chillman’s if one ever springs a small leak??? Is the trick to specifically use a lower psi radiator cap should you ever spring a leak because the lower psi cap reduces overall pressure in the coolant system?
Sort of. I blew a leak on one of my hoses and after redoing my system and adding new coolant, to be safe I swapped the 13lb for a 7lb as recommended by Chillman. Still runs at 190 no matter what I do to it

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an advocate that everyone should know how to work on their car a little, like being able to change their own oil, and change a flat. But then there's some people who shouldn't be allowed near tools....
Plus newer cars are making it dang hard to change their oil. My audi doesn't even have a dipstick, it's got a digital gauge I look at through the radio. What a joke.
That's how I met the woman that became my wife. She was in auto shop to learn some basics about cars because she didn't want to be scammed when she moved out of her folks house........ and then she met me....... and we got married....... and now I work on her vehicles.

I don't think she got scammed too bad.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's how I met the woman that became my wife. She was in auto shop to learn some basics about cars because she didn't want to be scammed when she moved out of her folks house........ and then she met me....... and we got married....... and now I work on her vehicles.

I don't think she got scammed too bad.
I end up having to do the work, and whatever I decide to outsource, I have to do the deliveries, because I've overheard how businesses talk to her vs me. So disappointing that people can be just terrible like that.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I end up having to do the work, and whatever I decide to outsource, I have to do the deliveries, because I've overheard how businesses talk to her vs me. So disappointing that people can be just terrible like that.
If I saw someone close to one of my vehicles with what could be discribed as a "tool"...... I might breaka da hand....

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an advocate that everyone should know how to work on their car a little, like being able to change their own oil, and change a flat. But then there's some people who shouldn't be allowed near tools....
Plus newer cars are making it dang hard to change their oil. My audi doesn't even have a dipstick, it's got a digital gauge I look at through the radio. What a joke.
The beetle didn’t have a transmission dip stick. You had to jack it up and loosen the drain plug.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey i just started this from the begining, i have the same turbo kit, did you find a paper elememt ? I havent been able to just k&n
So with the 085 I had, I just looked up the part number and it’s a pretty common filter size. For the factory turbo kit I just used whatever a&m filter that fit the pipe. It’s a non oiled filter

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The beetle didn’t have a transmission dip stick. You had to jack it up and loosen the drain plug.
I've done my fair share of fluid changes on the vw 01m and the 09a, the stand pipe setup is super weird. Give me back my dip stick!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is almost related.....but my red a white 86 bronco doesn't have a dip stick, but there's a weird reason. So I bought it from a kid for $1000, someone stripped the oil pan drain bolt and he followed through by completely screwing up the threads. So there it sat without oil until I bought it. So why doesn't it have a dip stick? The block is out of a 79 car, and it's a Mexican 302 there's no hole on side of the block for a dip stick, so the correct oil pan should have a dip stick in the side of it, but it didn't have the correct oil pan! And all I had was an 80s 302 oil pan that doesn't have a dip stick hole, so what did I do? I couldn't afford the correct oil pan at the time and they're hard to just come by, so I cleaned the oil pan I had, put 6 quarts of water in it, marked it at the level, drilled a hole and installed a 1in sight glass. So I just have to look under there from time to time.

Old Farmall tractors from the 40s and 50s have two drains on side of the oil pan that you open to see if it drips and that's how you know they're full.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep,

Gal I work with had a coolant leak on her car. She took it in more than once with the complaint, and kinda got brushed off every time…. even when it was dripping on the floor in the service drop off bay. Tried to pass it off as “residual” from when they fixed it. Next trip in, her dad took it in… it was fixed on that trip…. Worst part of it. She isn’t a “dumb kid” she is in her 40’s…. and knows how to work on vehicles…. it was under warranty is why she took it in….

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is almost related.....but my red a white 86 bronco doesn't have a dip stick, but there's a weird reason. So I bought it from a kid for $1000, someone stripped the oil pan drain bolt and he followed through by completely screwing up the threads. So there it sat without oil until I bought it. So why doesn't it have a dip stick? The block is out of a 79 car, and it's a Mexican 302 there's no hole on side of the block for a dip stick, so the correct oil pan should have a dip stick in the side of it, but it didn't have the correct oil pan! And all I had was an 80s 302 oil pan that doesn't have a dip stick hole, so what did I do? I couldn't afford the correct oil pan at the time and they're hard to just come by, so I cleaned the oil pan I had, put 6 quarts of water in it, marked it at the level, drilled a hole and installed a 1in sight glass. So I just have to look under there from time to time.

Old Farmall tractors from the 40s and 50s have two drains on side of the oil pan that you open to see if it drips and that's how you know they're full.
Yup! Our old M has that.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this. It has all the stuff for a speedo. I know that I could make a mount to run it divorced, but the only hang up is the yolk situation from the t case to this. I’d literally set it up like a divorced t case, but I’m not sure how I’d mount a yolk or flange to the front or this. What do y’all think?

Attachments

• 9BB085EB-F50A-4636-8803-E3E5242D413B.png
    9BB085EB-F50A-4636-8803-E3E5242D413B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this. It has all the stuff for a speedo. I know that I could make a mount to run it divorced, but the only hang up is the yolk situation from the t case to this. I’d literally set it up like a divorced t case, but I’m not sure how I’d mount a yolk or flange to the front or this. What do y’all think?
Seems like extra stuff that might break. And it's expensive.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like extra stuff that might break. And it's expensive.
From what I’ve seen, the US gear overdrive box is super strong. A lot like a brownie. Just shifted electronically with a toggle. If I could make it work, that’d be pretty sick to split gears. I hate the price but that’s about what they run usually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac