“The 6.9” project thread

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For future reference it’s better to wrap a strap or chain completely around the pallet and pull that way. I’ve honestly probably loaded and unloaded thousands of pallets into and out of truck beds. It is very easy to pull most loads off of the pallet. Then you end up with a real mess on your hands.

Also, Kudos to you for having it pushed all the way forward in the bed of your truck. I have to make guys move their load forward all the time at work. A heavy pallet at the back of the truck can become a missile in a panic stop. We had a guy the other day take out the back window in a truck with 10 bags of sand on a pallet. Sadly, it happens more than you would think. If it’s pushed to the front of the bed when you load it, it can’t get the momentum it needs to wreck havoc. I tell my guys they have a choice in how fast they take off, but they may not have that choice when they need to stop.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is one I had to fix a couple of years ago. 3000lbs of sand on a pallet came through the back window. We were very lucky no one was hurt.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I always stand the spare tire up against the front of the bed to use as a bumper too. I've done this since I bought my first four wheeler. I knew another guy who didn't think it was necessary to go to that length. That is until he poked the winch on his four wheeler through his rear window. Suddenly standing up the spare tire didn't seem like so much effort. The real kicker was that he left his spare tire laying in the bed and decided to just park on top of it. I sure got a big laugh out of that one.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For future reference it’s better to wrap a strap or chain completely around the pallet and pull that way. I’ve honestly probably loaded and unloaded thousands of pallets into and out of truck beds. It is very easy to pull most loads off of the pallet. Then you end up with a real mess on your hands.

Also, Kudos to you for having it pushed all the way forward in the bed of your truck. I have to make guys move their load forward all the time at work. A heavy pallet at the back of the truck can become a missile in a panic stop. We had a guy the other day take out the back window in a truck with 10 bags of sand on a pallet. Sadly, it happens more than you would think. If it’s pushed to the front of the bed when you load it, it can’t get the momentum it needs to wreck havoc. I tell my guys they have a choice in how fast they take off, but they may not have that choice when they need to stop.

This is one I had to fix a couple of years ago. 3000lbs of sand on a pallet came through the back window. We were very lucky no one was hurt.
And even worse in the case of a collision. I remember not long ago a local logger was involved in some kind of wreck on the freeway and some logs went THROUGH his cab. And through him. After praying for the driver and his potential family, all I could think was "that employer is gonna be sued to the poor house because he wouldn't put a headache rack up". Crazy.

@TNBrett has some excellent advise here for anyone willing to learn. And it reminds me that I need to get a headache rack myself for occasional pallet loads. But one that still fits my tonneau cover and cabover camper. Hmmm...

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was not going to take any chances especially with that slick plastic Bed liner I have.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could post videos haha. I came home last night and was hearing some weird “ping” noise when I’d take off. Turns out my pinion bearing decided it was time to go. I can shake the crap out of it. I think this weekend I’ll grab a clean 10.25 instead of messing with this one as I know it probably needs more work. I really wanted to get a set of super duty axles but I just don’t have the time right now.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I also strap the load to the pallet. Then strap the load to the bed so it can’t move even during a turn. The straps always go back in the truck under the rear seat When done.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the problems with these truck, or just any brand of truck, there are not really any hooks to tie things down to.
Oh they give you one little hook/ring in each corner, how special.

What happens when you have a load to tie down and the
little hooks are now buried under the load?

I have a set of these down each side, they were a Ford option...
https://www.macsautoparts.com/1967-1996-ford-pickup-truck-pickup-box-tie-down-hook-48-46046-1.html

These are the cheapest any where on the internet along with the pads that go under them. Dennis carpenter has the lowest price on them.

When I bought the truck it had 3 on each side, now have 5, there was always a need for a hook in between.
When they were first installed, sheet metal screws were used. Later on the holes rust and the hook comes off.

To fix that, I used a super long 1/4" bit, drilled a hole thru to the inside of the bed. Then used a 1 1/8" hole saw and drilled the hole inside the bed under the bed rail.
Used hex head stainless bolts, and some of the bolts you can access from under the bed. Used 1" fender Washers and 1/4" Ny-loc nuts. The others you have to get creative to get the washer and nut through the hole and onto the bolts.

I used the long 1/4" bit (maybe 10" long) cut a straw to slip over the bit, put washer on on the Bit and stick through hole. line up with bolt and push on with Straw.
For the Nut, use a Socket with extension, put nut in Socket, and gently line up with bolt and screw it on.

When I hauled my 7.3 engine home last week, the Engine was securely strapped down. That`s a lot of weight to keep in place.

I had the Engine sitting on a tire, didn`t think of placing it on a pallet, good idea. I did have a 2x6 with a 2x4 verticle under the front of the Engine to keep it level.

I know a lot of people don`t want Hooks down the out side of the bed, they are ugly or what ever.
Most trucks are just Pavement Princes and are all show.

Goat

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the problems with these truck, or just any brand of truck, there are not really any hooks to tie things down to.
Oh they give you one little hook/ring in each corner, how special.

What happens when you have a load to tie down and the
little hooks are now buried under the load?

I have a set of these down each side, they were a Ford option...
https://www.macsautoparts.com/1967-1996-ford-pickup-truck-pickup-box-tie-down-hook-48-46046-1.html

These are the cheapest any where on the internet along with the pads that go under them. Dennis carpenter has the lowest price on them.

When I bought the truck it had 3 on each side, now have 5, there was always a need for a hook in between.
When they were first installed, sheet metal screws were used. Later on the holes rust and the hook comes off.

To fix that, I used a super long 1/4" bit, drilled a hole thru to the inside of the bed. Then used a 1 1/8" hole saw and drilled the hole inside the bed under the bed rail.
Used hex head stainless bolts, and some of the bolts you can access from under the bed. Used 1" fender Washers and 1/4" Ny-loc nuts. The others you have to get creative to get the washer and nut through the hole and onto the bolts.

I used the long 1/4" bit (maybe 10" long) cut a straw to slip over the bit, put washer on on the Bit and stick through hole. line up with bolt and push on with Straw.
For the Nut, use a Socket with extension, put nut in Socket, and gently line up with bolt and screw it on.

When I hauled my 7.3 engine home last week, the Engine was securely strapped down. That`s a lot of weight to keep in place.

I had the Engine sitting on a tire, didn`t think of placing it on a pallet, good idea. I did have a 2x6 with a 2x4 verticle under the front of the Engine to keep it level.

I know a lot of people don`t want Hooks down the out side of the bed, they are ugly or what ever.
Most trucks are just Pavement Princes and are all show.

Goat
So the previous owners of mine out about 6 tie downs on each side of the bed but they are absolutely worthless unless you’re using bailing twine. I love the ones you sent. I would love to get them. I also saw some guy who welded re bar down the inside of the bed as an anchor/tie down. I really liked that.