“The 6.9” project thread

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Nothing like trying to track down a leak that shows up some place that isn't leaking. Talk about frustrating.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you I am too. Literally has been an off and on issue for a year. It would be fine for months and then leak for a week.
My reservoir hose clamp was loose and when pressure would build or burp it would shoot a bit out towards the fan and fling everywhere. Took me a bit to figure out, thankfully I didn't get into testing the rad or replacing.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you all will find this as comical as me. Yesterday I swapped my axle in. I noticed that the rear u joint had some play and Im just assuming the pinion bouncing around effected that. New axle is awesome though. I get home. My friend comes over in his 97’ 7.3. We go to look at the car I ended up bringing home. About a mile from my house his clutch just explodes. No idea how that happened. We pull over and take the inspection plate off and springs and clutch material fall out. How wonderful. So I go home and get my truck to tow him home. Once I get him home I notice that the u joint has not gotten so bad I can’t drive over 20 mph. Wasn’t a good day for the Fords LOL Today will consist of fixing my u joint and pulling his transmission. His clutch only has 10000 miles on it.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a new U joint in. I jacked it up to spin everything just to make sure everything is good. The passenger side nut that holds the hub/spindle on backed off and absolutely destroyed one of the bearings!!! I have no idea what I did wrong. I torqued it down and backed it off a few clicks like the book said. So now I’ll be pulling the other side apart as well to make sure it’s safe. Then new bearings on the passenger side and I’ll drain all the fluid and stuff. Im very happy that I jacked it up before driving anywhere.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a lighter note, I’ve never really taken advantage of Black Friday or cyber Monday shopping but today I bought a diy traction bar kit and saved a very solid amount of money.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I put a new U joint in. I jacked it up to spin everything just to make sure everything is good. The passenger side nut that holds the hub/spindle on backed off and absolutely destroyed one of the bearings!!! I have no idea what I did wrong. I torqued it down and backed it off a few clicks like the book said. So now I’ll be pulling the other side apart as well to make sure it’s safe. Then new bearings on the passenger side and I’ll drain all the fluid and stuff. Im very happy that I jacked it up before driving anywhere.
Laine I believe you are talking about your front wheel bearings? The trick is if you put in your own races press them in tight with a press. (VS hammering them in.) If not your truck will push them in and your bearings will be loose. Then grease and tighten the wheel bearings, spin a few times. Loosen, tighten, and spin again. You want to make sure the grease is in the way and fooling you into thinking they are tight. Then tighten and release slightly. Then lock them in place. Not sure on your year how they lock but guessing a washer in the middle and a second nut.

Maybe you had a bad bearing or maybe it was just the Budweiser working it’s magic the first time.:cheers:

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laine I believe you are talking about your front wheel bearings? The trick is if you put in your own races press them in tight with a press. (VS hammering them in.) If not your truck will push them in and your bearings will be loose. Then grease and tighten the wheel bearings, spin a few times. Loosen, tighten, and spin again. You want to make sure the grease is in the way and fooling you into thinking they are tight. Then tighten and release slightly. Then lock them in place. Not sure on your year how they lock but guessing a washer in the middle and a second nut.

Maybe you had a bad bearing or maybe it was just the Budweiser working it’s magic the first time.:cheers:
Hahah. I’m not a big drinker. Wish I was then I could explain all the crap I’ve broken. I was talking about the rear end sorry for not clarifying.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I understood that it's the rear end. You mentioned replacing the u-joint right at the yoke on the rear end and then you jacked it up (the rear end that you were just working on) to spin everything to check it all out.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understood that it's the rear end. You mentioned replacing the u-joint right at the yoke on the rear end and then you jacked it up (the rear end that you were just working on) to spin everything to check it all out.
After further investigation it absolutely destroyed the passenger spindle. Pretty pissed off at myself for not catching it sooner. I think my best option is swapping the guts out of this axle into my old one.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After further investigation it absolutely destroyed the passenger spindle. Pretty pissed off at myself for not catching it sooner. I think my best option is swapping the guts out of this axle into my old one.
Bummer. Any other clues as to what could have caused the issue. You don't want to repeat that catastrophe.