“The 6.9” project thread

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After further investigation it absolutely destroyed the passenger spindle. Pretty pissed off at myself for not catching it sooner. I think my best option is swapping the guts out of this axle into my old one.

If you do that, I'd suggest getting a crush sleeve eliminator from Russ. Should help prevent the yoke loosening up in the future.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of the spindle. It may not be as bad as you think. I’ve seen some pretty gnarly looking damage that can be cleaned up with a file and emery cloth.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d just like to say that I am so out of my element with cars that need to be smogged. But I guess there’s more to life than carburetors and Injection pumps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 14

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Looks like you need to hook up a OBDII scanner and see what the computer thinks is going on. Just be careful if your not used to OBDII codes, often the cause of the issue is not what you would think based on the code. Do internet searches on VW and the code. Often vehicles have common issues. (Like oil cooler seals in a idi.) So some research online will get you looking at the most common issues and in the right direction. Scanner Danner is a great YouTube channel to learn about troubleshooting with OBDII scanners. Then how to test many components of a modern day fuel injected vehicle.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you need to hook up a OBDII scanner and see what the computer thinks is going on. Just be careful if your not used to OBDII codes, often the cause of the issue is not what you would think based on the code. Do internet searches on VW and the code. Often vehicles have common issues. (Like oil cooler seals in a idi.) So some research online will get you looking at the most common issues and in the right direction. Scanner Danner is a great YouTube channel to learn about troubleshooting with OBDII scanners. Then how to test many components of a modern day fuel injected vehicle.
Yeah I have a pretty good scanner. It’s throwing a code for the mass airflow sensor and it’s showing all the symptoms of one as well. It bogs a bunch from a start and doesn’t sound like it loves starting when it’s cold.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Pull it, look carefully (Bugs, hair, soot, dirt, grime, etc.), shoot it with some MAS cleaner. Might get it working, might not. Also look for air leaks in the intake system. Might be its sensing too little air due to a leak at idle. (Intake manifold gasket, fuel injector o-rings, EGR valve, air boot, missing boot clamp, PCV valve, etc.) This is why I mentioned earlier to question and research codes. The code says MAS but could be it is fine. Code thrown because there is a lack of air flow past the MAS. So not suggesting what it is, just before you replace a part, make sure you did a good diagnosis.

Just a 1 minute search turned this up.

But that would be cool if a new MAS fixed it and the warning light stayed off.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull it, look carefully (Bugs, hair, soot, dirt, grime, etc.), shoot it with some MAS cleaner. Might get it working, might not. Also look for air leaks in the intake system. Might be its sensing too little air due to a leak at idle. (Intake manifold gasket, fuel injector o-rings, EGR valve, air boot, missing boot clamp, PCV valve, etc.) This is why I mentioned earlier to question and research codes. The code says MAS but could be it is fine. Code thrown because there is a lack of air flow past the MAS. So not suggesting what it is, just before you replace a part, make sure you did a good diagnosis.

Just a 1 minute search turned this up.

But that would be cool if a new MAS fixed it and the warning light stayed off.
I went to the junkyard to get something With my buddy and I saw about 30 of these stupid beetles so I grabbed 6 MAF sensors lol. I just need to drive it now to see if the light comes on. It runs better. Need to smog it

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No photos but I swapped the pinion and the gears out from the newer axle into my old one and it seems great. I’m pretty sure I did it right lol. The backlash is kinda at the looser end of the ford spec but I don’t have the shims and everything and it’s a hell of a lot better than what it used to be. I’ll do the hubs tomorrow and maybe I’ll have my truck back. That would be nice

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a pretty crappy morning yesterday so I decided I needed to get out of town for the day. Glad I did. As always she did awesome. My brake light on the dash is on. It’ll turn off sometimes. I know it comes on with bad pressure or something but everything works perfect. It stops very good. I don’t have parking brake cables if that makes a difference. The e brake pedal is all the way up so it’s not that.

Attachments

• 575F4922-70F1-475C-BD86-DEDBCD6A2FC4.jpeg
    575F4922-70F1-475C-BD86-DEDBCD6A2FC4.jpeg
    839.7 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online