Zf5 swap

ethanbooth11

Reaction score
Hi I just recently swapped a zf5 out of a early 94 7.3 into my 86 that had the t19 4 speed in it. New smf and clutch. I noticed that the starter is cutting a groove into the new flywheel. I was told that the starter off of my 86 would work and is interchangeable on the 94. The truck starts up but almost seems like starter is not engaging all the way. At this point I'm stumped would I need to get a starter for a 94? If not what else could it be? Like I said everything is new including the starter and everything is tight.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the angle on the teeth, that is machined into the flywheel from the factory. It helps the starter and flywheel teeth line up as the starter is engaging. Also, yes the IDI starters are all interchangeable with the exception of the early direct drive starters in like 83-84. The others do fit and work, they just require changing the wiring a little bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it is chewing into the flywheel teeth, I think that you should be able to hear it being louder than normal. If it is, check the top bolt on your starter. Make sure that it's tight and the top of the starter is drawn up against the adapter plate (the piece that the starter mounts to). That could be your problem. When installing a starter, I will use the palm of my hand and hit up od the bottom of the front of the starter when I think the top bolt is tight. That way, I double check myself to make sure that the starter is actually mounted correctly.

ethanbooth11

Reaction score
Okay, I will do that I checked everything else. I'm not sure how I over looked that. I bought this truck from a guy that just pulled it out of his field and had been ran to the ground. It's been a job for sure so I just a starter and some batteries turned into a full on drive train.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I over looked that.
I'm not saying that this is the problem, but it's a possibility. Most people don't even think about it. I used to not think about it until the time that I could actually see that the starter wasn't fully seated. After that I started doing my "hit the starter" trick every time as an extra precaution.