Wiring harness and thinking about selling

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about using the 24valve from your current dodge. Could even p-pump that 24v if you wanted Then all you’d need is some conversion parts if it’s a zf already there’s a kit to bolt that to the Cummins. Could then part the dodge n recoup some cost on the swap. Just my $0.02

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hehe, I was waiting for someone to go full fummins...(Some say, once you go full fummins, you never come backLOL)

As for brakes, it sounds like something is wrong. I agree lifts and big tires hurt towing performance but still.

First, have a look at this thread. It shows what can go wrong with the internal linkage of the drum brakes:https://www.oilburners.net/threads/drum-brakes-no-wait-its-good-news.91505/

It turns out I was driving my truck for years with basically zero rear axle brakes. Made a huge difference once everything was sorted out.

Next, you really should look into those trailer brakes. We often get away without them, but you're still taking a chance.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize the lift and tires don’t help. But it seems like a pain in the butt to remove the lift?

It’s my buddies trailer and he probably needs to look the brakes over.

I’ve also got to go through my front axle.

With winter coming and my registration ran out. I’m tempted to just run the dodge a bit but then I’ll need to do a bit of brake work and then get some batteries. So maybe it’s easier and cheaper to run the ford and address the front and rear brakes and the axle.

I’d probably swap in rear axle from a dually 97 psd. Considering my front axle is a 97 swap.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you know what the Ford feels like to drive. What about parking it for the winter and running the dodge so you can feel out a better decision for next spring...?

Would the Ford batteries not work in the dodge (undersized..?) then you only have brake work....

All the cool kids are p-pumping their 24v ;Poke

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@KansasIDI just funny to me in a strange sense, I was pretty young when I got into the diesel trade, and it came with it's own struggles, like more senior techs not liking my work and lack of respect sort of thing. So it unironically is funny to me that more younger people are getting into diesels.
I say this, as I'm 32, but still, props to Austin jumping into these.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI just funny to me in a strange sense, I was pretty young when I got into the diesel trade, and it came with it's own struggles, like more senior techs not liking my work and lack of respect sort of thing. So it unironically is funny to me that more younger people are getting into diesels.
I say this, as I'm 32, but still, props to Austin jumping into these.
@Laine D is in his early twenties IIRC

Austin is under 20 I think, maybe even still in HS or just out of it.

Austin might be older than I am, not certain…

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, Iam only 23 :idiot: No you`re not.
I say pick an age and stick to it.

I would have got interested in these IDI`s when I was younger, but was 39 when they first hit the market. Didn`t buy my first IDI till I was 70, that was a learning curve, after owning the Datsun SD-22 Diesel and then the Mercedes Diesels I have. Never heard of (IDI) till I got the Ford. It was refered to as "Swirl Chamber". same thing.

Signed up on FTE and learned a lot on there, and poked around on OB once in a while. till one day I bought the Ferret timing thingy for sale here. had to sign up, and here I am.
Great info on both Forums, and great people willing to help.

The IDI Platform whether Ford, Datsun or Mercedes is a simple dependable system.
The Ford is a bit more problematic with the air intrusion problem,, but really I haven`t problems with it in 10 years where it shut me down....except that stupid -Flame Thr FSV.....

No matter what engine you are in love with, they all have their quirks.

Goat