What is gear roll-over noise?

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
From what I have read it's a rumbling/rattling/grinding sound as the engine pulses through the tranny. It mostly only happens under 1000rpm and lugging hard. The ZF stock DM flywheel should take care of most all rollover...but I hear converting to SM or doing the lucky mod will make the ZF talk a little. BTW...my T19 has a SM (stock) and has some good rollover.

EDIT:
DM = dual mass
SM = single mass

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you get going at low RPM's, it sounds like a bunch of marbles rolling around on the kitchen table. will clear up past 1500rpm

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
So I take it you have some noise in the ZF? Mel has been using thicker oil. I think he might even be up into synthetic gear oils. Do you have the dual mass flywheel still? And if you have single mass or lucky mod make sure you get the friction disc with springs.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Still have DMF. My transfer case also leaks pretty bad. So I think I'll drop the case and rebuild it. While I'm at it I'll do a ATF drain and fill (don't know when or if ever this has been done (I only check level)), using ATF and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online