What is this bracket for?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My Blue Truck still has the jack. No handle or lug wrench.

Attachments

• 102_4460.JPG
    102_4460.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 7

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what I have...or don't have...probably none of the above...

I'll look in the morning...

I do know that I had to buy a 4-ton floor jack to lift mine in the back to do the brakes, brake lines and hoses, parking brake cables, shocks, U-clamps for the lower shock mounts, and re-wire the tail light and trailer light harnesses, and mount a new trailer ball mount....

I spent some time underneath 'Ol One-Ton...and I am glad I did...

I did a lot of 'love' talking to that truck...

Oh, yeah...rear axle bearings and seals with new bearing preload nuts and wedges...

I would not have wanted it any other way...I love my truck...

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what I have...or don't have...probably none of the above...

I'll look in the morning...

I do know that I had to buy a 4-ton foor jack to lift mine in the back to do the brakes, brake lines and hoses, parking brake cables, shocks, U-clamps for the lower shock mounts, and re-wire the tail light and trailer light harnesses, and mount a new trailer ball mount....

I spent some time underneath 'Ol One-Ton...and I am glad I did...

I did a lot of 'love' talking to that truck...

Oh, yeah...rear axle bearings and seals with new bearing preload nuts and wedges...

I would not have wanted it any other way...I love my truck...
This thread has "cupholder thread" potential.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm catching myself thinking about what other use I can make out of that bracket...

JF...I need you to talk me off the ledge before I take the plunge into another 'project'...I gotta focus on the really, really important stuff right now...but it has been raining...so..I have had time to ponder...

Help me out...what could we do with unused factory jack brackets...?

There I go again...I just can't stop....it's hell, I tell ya...

We are gonna have to start a campaign to 'restore' all of the underhood jacks and jack misc. to their 'proper' location...

The pristine, 'never-been-used' jack, wrench, and twirly bar setups get the highest ratings and it is on a sliding scale from there...with those that have a real good reason for missing or relocated components getting an honorable mention...

Whaddayasay..?

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Jack, Wrench and Crank Handle, but in the shop some where.
Don`t know if I would really trust that Jack.

I tried to lift the rear of the 86 the other day, wanted to pull the Studded tires and put the street tires back on. The Kioti CK30 would not lift it. Don`t know it`s lifting capacity, but thought for sure it would lift it.
But she does have Cup holders.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have the Jack, Wrench and Crank Handle, but in the shop some where.
Don`t know if I would really trust that Jack.

I tried to lift the rear of the 86 the other day, wanted to pull the Studded tires and put the street tires back on. The Kioti CK30 would not lift it. Don`t know it`s lifting capacity, but thought for sure it would lift it.
But she does have Cup holders.

A Craftsman 3 ton floor jack would lift the F250 rear but not the RV's rear. Had to use a big (12 ton) bottle jack with a "Bottle Jack Buddy" (the bigger one) for the RV. Haven't jacked up the van any yet, but I carry the 12T bottle jack & buddy for it.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory jack is a screw jack so won't leak down if left in place long term. It is a micro adjustable jack stand. I like them so much I bought several at the PicknPull. I'm surprised Old Goat didn't snag them first,

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is that a three ton floor jack can’t lift one side of the back of my service truck… gotta use two, or a bigger bottle jack…

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old factory screw jacks are much tougher than most people give them credit for. Keep them lubed up and they will last forever and lift way more than they are rated for.

The newer ones not so much, the ones that have the plastic screw knob are made of much lower quality materials and are common to strip the jack screw.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm catching myself thinking about what other use I can make out of that bracket...

JF...I need you to talk me off the ledge before I take the plunge into another 'project'...I gotta focus on the really, really important stuff right now...but it has been raining...so..I have had time to ponder...

Help me out...what could we do with unused factory jack brackets...?

There I go again...I just can't stop....it's hell, I tell ya...

We are gonna have to start a campaign to 'restore' all of the underhood jacks and jack misc. to their 'proper' location...

The pristine, 'never-been-used' jack, wrench, and twirly bar setups get the highest ratings and it is on a sliding scale from there...with those that have a real good reason for missing or relocated components getting an honorable mention...

Whaddayasay..?

Put a small fire extinguisher in it!
.... well.....I really didn't want to be too tough on y'all by correcting your theology too much, but the truth is.......it's really not for a factory jack...... it's actually....... and I'm really sorry to mention it here, but....... it's actually a place to store an extra can of Coke if your inside cupholders are full. Ford's theory was to put it close to the AC box to keep it cold for when you got an empty cupholder. But when they realized that the Coke got warm(and who drinks warm Coke) that they'd have to reperpose the bracket by putting something stupid and useless there like a dinky dangerous jack that will kill you lifting the front of your IDI powered 3/4-1 ton pickup unless it's used under perfect conditions(which don't exist when you have a blow out). So there you have it @XOLATEM .......it's really a cupholder.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old factory screw jacks are much tougher than most people give them credit for. Keep them lubed up and they will last forever and lift way more than they are rated for.

The newer ones not so much, the ones that have the plastic screw knob are made of much lower quality materials and are common to strip the jack screw.

James
They are tough, but on a perfect surface which isn't on side of the road when you have a blow out. Great in the driveway...... BEFORE the tire is flat.