Unfortunately it happened :(

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ladies and gentlemen my injectors are going out 3 dead 5 to go. It has a really bad injector knock so time for a new set of injectors and a pump. I would like to upgrade while im in there, so, should i get the upgraded injectors or a slightly larger pump (in the near future i will have an intercooler). Any experience with larger injector or with bigger pump on a turbo application?

88 f250 7.3 idi dealer installed banks turbo system.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conestoga diesel ask for Mel
IDI Performance speak to Justin
Typ4 here or Russ...

And look at hall of shame so you dont waste money.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really the best parts can be purchased from the listed above. Beware of the cheaper ebay rip offs. Some of them test and paint. Then sell you a rebuilt item. Never in my life have I found a paint job that rebuilds anything.

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oreilley auto parts I work at I can get a pump and injector for about 620 out the door. But I'm on the fence about bigger injectors or a bigger pump

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've bought some injectors from there...there are not pop tested. Spend the coin and do it right the first time....

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so it's a no go for the injector but maybe the pump it's a BWD parts I know that's not saying much but for every thing I've seen on line a full set is going to cost about a 1000 bucks

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO...same rebuilder not worth it....my buddy works at the one here in town and has a idi and he said....JUNK...LOL

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Stay away from BWD parts garbage!
Do it right go with Conestoga diesel or R&D idi performance the first time.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with your current pump? Could get by with a good set of injectors till you can get a better pump.

I have only seen one set of the orielly injectors on an idi, and it ran very good:dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, a "new" set from orielly will almost always run better than ones with 150k miles on them.
But if you want true quality that will net you the best mileage, durability, and power, get them from one listed above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yall have convinced me I will get good injectors I want to replace the pump because a good friend of mine and who's knows idis real well and he said that with really old injectors mine are original I believe with new injectors it could blow the seals in the pump because the springs are stiff and the pump could be damaged

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so it's a no go for the injector but maybe the pump it's a BWD parts I know that's not saying much but for every thing I've seen on line a full set is going to cost about a 1000 bucks
For something like this, I would strongly recommend against going with a "mass rebuilder" who's goal is to get them out the door and doesn't necessarily have someone working on them who's willing to take the time to give the pump/injectors the love that they need.

I spent $300 to purchase a rebuilt injector pump in 2002. This was before Mel had started the Moose Pump program or Russ was around. The pump "functions"...the engine runs without misfiring or putting out any weird smoke, and the truck is drivable. However, I've had problems with this pump from Day 1. The fuel shut-off solenoid and cold timing advance solenoid had a nasty habit of sticking "on"...I had to drive about 200 miles with the cold timing advance on once, and the FSS sticking got so bad that I would have to tap the top of the pump with a hammer to get the engine to shut off (I finally replaced the top cover along with both solenoids; that solved that problem). I've also had trouble with the metering valve sticking if I don't put enough additive in the fuel. More disconcerting, when I went to time it, once I brought the RPM up, the timing kept moving all over the place...I think something's up with the timing advance; I just did my best to find a happy medium. I've also been less than impressed with the power output since putting this pump on, compared to other IDI's (even with the fuel screw turned up 90 degrees).

At the same time, since the pump "works", I can't justify replacing it until it lets go...but, I hope this will help give you an idea of why people are recommending against parts-store pumps. Better to get a pump and injectors that were rebuilt by someone who knows these pumps very well and will give you a quality rebuild that's going to give you a long lifespan. Yes, it'll cost more, but it should last longer and you'll be much happier with the results...even for a rebuild to stock specifications, it's worth spending the money. Even a "general" diesel shop may be able to get one of these pumps to a point where the engine will run, but that doesn't mean it's going to be "right". Keep in mind that these engines are not getting any younger (as of this writing, it's been 21 years since the last Ford IDI rolled off an assembly line), and the people with expertise and experience working on these engines and their components are not as common as they used to be. Mel wrote a post a while back discussing some of the important elements of rebuilding one of these pumps, and pointed out that many rebuild shops don't know some of these specifics...which in turn led to a shorter life on the rebuilt pump. I wish I could find that post; it was a real eye-opener.

Just my $.02 ;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yall have convinced me I will get good injectors I want to replace the pump because a good friend of mine and who's knows idis real well and he said that with really old injectors mine are original I believe with new injectors it could blow the seals in the pump because the springs are stiff and the pump could be damaged

Not true ,pump doesnt work like that. But It may not perform as well, there is no harm in trying injectors first. And I have some.:)

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true ,pump doesnt work like that. But It may not perform as well, there is no harm in trying injectors first. And I have some.:)

How's that for an honest answer. You ain't gonna get that at AutoZone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online