8th Gen 7.3 IDI C.O.I?

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Waiting on rebuilt turbo, injectors and pump to arrive and am looking for a decent aftermarket cold air intake.
Saw one from S&B Filters and was wondering if anyone had experience with those, or has a different recommendation?
I haven't found an intercooler kit for a 7.3 V-belt system, so just need to get the truck on the road for now.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frozenboost.com for your intercooler setup. Not specific to the truck, but it is what several members have used.

It is a liquid/air intercooler, btw. Common options also include 7.3 and 6.0 Powerstroke intercoolers. I found a Mishimoto one on Amazon warehouse for $140 a while back, but I've got a bullnose and it doesn't fit, hence going liquid/air.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting on rebuilt turbo, injectors and pump to arrive and am looking for a decent aftermarket cold air intake.
Saw one from S&B Filters and was wondering if anyone had experience with those, or has a different recommendation?
I haven't found an intercooler kit for a 7.3 V-belt system, so just need to get the truck on the road for now.
Hypermax engineering sells intercooler kits for these trucks.

I put a stock 6.0 PSD air filter system in one of my trucks. The thread is called 6.0 air intake. It has worked very well for me.

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Frozenboost.com for your intercooler setup. Not specific to the truck, but it is what several members have used.

It is a liquid/air intercooler, btw. Common options also include 7.3 and 6.0 Powerstroke intercoolers. I found a Mishimoto one on Amazon warehouse for $140 a while back, but I've got a bullnose and it doesn't fit, hence going liquid/air.

Hypermax engineering sells intercooler kits for these trucks.

I put a stock 6.0 PSD air filter system in one of my trucks. The thread is called 6.0 air intake. It has worked very well for me.
Mine isn't a PSD. Gen 8 are the last IDI non-turbo.
When Centurion did the Bronco conversion they added an ATS 088 turbo to the engine with all the interior mods, but it still has a V belt system.
As I understand it, the only intercooler kits are for serpentine belt, which means finding a 92-97 unmolested in a junk yard for hardware, plus AC and Alternator.
The only ones I've located so far are 1000 miles, so had to put off taking this build to that level for now.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I put the air filter from a 6.0 on my 7.3 IDI
When Centurion did the Bronco conversion they added an ATS 088 turbo to the engine with all the interior mods, but it still has a V belt system.
Hypermax makes an intercooler kit. For these trucks.
As I understand it, the only intercooler kits are for serpentine belt, which means finding a 92-97 unmolested in a junk yard for hardware, plus AC and Alternator.
The only ones I've located so far are 1000 miles, so had to put off taking this build to that level for now.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just to toss it out there, I have a spare serpentine belt kit, all it's missing is the alternator, ac compressor, and the vac pump pulley. Tensioner bracket needs a little repair but if you know someone who can aluminum weld should be a sinch. I'm also not 1000 miles away

THSIM9

Reaction score

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That kit is for v belt without AC, or serpentine belt only.

THSIM9

Reaction score
That kit is for v belt without AC, or serpentine belt only.
Where are you seeing that? Or do you know from experience?

Reading the page it mentions it fits 87-94 trucks with diesel core support, and even mentions fitting in front of the A/C condenser which would indicate that it should fit v belt trucks that had A/C.

You must be registered for see images attach

Curious because I have a stage 2 kit with intercooler on order with CDD and I have V belts and A/C.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a universal intercooling kit to save some $$$. This is the one I used.

The intake I used a KN filter. I struggled getting that big Donaldson air filter everyone likes to use to fit in my truck, the K&N was a breeze.

Only other cost was extra silicone boots to adapt the piping to my turbo and the CDD intake hat. Even tho it worked fine, I’d recommend the v-banded intake manifold.

Also gotta think about crank case ventilation. I deleted my CDR and routed 12AN hose from my timing cover plate to a catch can and then into the intake. Works really well and doesn’t suck up any oil from the timing cover plate.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Where are you seeing that? Or do you know from experience?

Reading the page it mentions it fits 87-94 trucks with diesel core support, and even mentions fitting in front of the A/C condenser which would indicate that it should fit v belt trucks that had A/C.

Curious because I have a stage 2 kit with intercooler on order with CDD and I have V belts and A/C.
I called them to ask, because when I originally bought my stage 1 turbo, it comes with the same air filter pipe as the intercooler kits, and it interferes with the ac compressor of the v belt system.

THSIM9

Reaction score
I called them to ask, because when I originally bought my stage 1 turbo, it comes with the same air filter pipe as the intercooler kits, and it interferes with the ac compressor of the v belt system.

Gotcha. Well that’s good info I appreciate it. Guess I will have to get creative with the intake on this truck. I like what @Lumberjackchuck did in the posts above.

Either something like that to avoid the A/C on my V belts or maybe get the stuff and convert to a serpentine setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online