Turbo ??????????

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work on diesels all day long but never V8 navistars. I have worked on alot of DT466 engines but 95% of my experience is either Detroit 60, MBE(Silver POS) and ISB,ISC,and the Big Cummins.

So Humor Me If my questions seem stupid. I have this '93 F250 That I bought wrecked for $1000. I have had it on the road about 3 years and have been fine tuning the suspension that I replaced and Fixing all the other odds and ends. The engine has been and still is sound.

It is now time to start making MORE POWER. I am in the process of fabricationg a 4" freeflowing exhaust from some salvaged exhaust off of an International 4400 pepsi truck. I was taking a good look at the turbo the other day to see how I am going to route my downpipe and noticed something that has me scratching my head because I dont know what to think of it.

Question#1: By vin my truck should be N/A I have an ATS filter box on top of my engine and a turbo and have always assumed someone installed an aftermarket turbo setup on this truck. While I was looking at my turbo I noticed it was a Garrett Turbo. So does ATS use Garrett Turbos. Or do I have a pieced together setup.

Question#2: The exhaust outlet of this turbo is 3" slip fitting setup like none I have ever seen before. I am planning to adapt to 4" right from the outlet. the intake however is smaller than I think it should be and want to know if there are housing upgrades to go bigger so When I install an intercooler I can run larger ducting. If anyone knows what I have and where to find aftermarket parts for it I would appreciate it. I can take pics. and email or maybe post them if needed.:dunno

tractorman86

Reaction score
well we kinda need pics to tell you what model you have, ATS uses garret and made the factory turbo for ford in 93 and 94 it sounds like you have a 093 turbo. there are some housing upgrades just wait for russ typ4 and a few others can tell you what up grades there are for the compressor. as for the turbine sounds like you already have the upgraded exhaust half

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sits more off to the pass side and the exhaust side looks a little different. I will look again for some numbers. I couldnt find any the other day. I will take some pictures. here shortly.

tractorman86

Reaction score
it is an 093 ford factory turbo then. very good turbo especially with the exh upgrade you already have. use the 3" down pipe it is the biggest you can fit in there without drasticly chopping the firewall, just put an adapter on the end of it to 4". get a pyro and a boost guage then turn up your fuel and the wastegate accordingly

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to intercool later I can hook you up with the bigger compressor wheel and housing to make more boost down low, also wrapping the crossover helps a lot too.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ddec4me I'm down in Twin Falls. Look me up if you are ever down this way. But anyway I agree with tractorman86. Leave the dp alone and go 4" off of that. But another option to fit a 4" dp would be to add a 3" body lift and do some minor trimming. As for the intercooler setup what are you looking to do. Are you gonna make a custom setup or buy one from a place such as ATS?

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust is done

Here are the pictures of my turbo that I said I was gonna post. Also I got my 4" exhaust done and here are pictures of that also. My son and I had a blast building it. I tried a 4"dp and without a lift it isnt happinin so I went 3" just past the firewall and then used a reducer 3"-4" I adapted. Came out really clean and sounds Nice. Cant wait to turn up my pump and Increase airflow but a little at a time. Next is to get a pyro and a Boost sensor.(Dont Want To Melt Anything). I talked to a guy Friday that melted his intake on his duramax racing up hill pulling a trailer because he had no guages. I dont know yet what I am gonna do for a CAC but was thinking about using one out of a M2 freightliner maybe. I think I could make it fit. As far as the upgraded turbo parts I am more than interested.

I have never posted pics in a message yet so here it goes.

Attachments

• turbo1.jpg
    turbo1.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 22
  • turbo2.jpg
    turbo2.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 19
  • turbo3.jpg
    turbo3.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 14
  • downpipe.jpg
    downpipe.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 20
  • exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 16
  • outlet.jpg
    outlet.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 20

tractorman86

Reaction score
cool looks good man! but what's with that tip, you can't make it into anyones window with it pointing down like that!

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to compensate for the short length somehow. I work nights and It whistles and grumbles off of the houses enough as it is.

sootman73

Reaction score
man i'm glad i dont have an ATS non-gated turbo. those things just look stupid. i wouldn't be able to take it seriously. may work good but still come on! no offense to those who have them but more to ATS.