Unusual coolant leak on 1993 7.3 IDI factory turbo

jj339629

Reaction score
I have a 1993, 7.3 IDI factory turbo. It’s winter here in Wyoming and I only drive my truck on the weekends.

I noticed that midweek and midday when I’m not driving my truck it has started to drip coolant from above the starter. I can’t tell where it’s coming from. One guess I have is the block heater. Any other idea or places I should look?

jj339629

Reaction score
No leak when hot, no leak at the peak of cold like middle of the night. It only happens when it’s cold and the day warms up some and the truck is not being driven.

ihc1470

Reaction score
Best bet would be to put a cooling system pressure tester on the radiator and pump it up to 15 pounds and start looking. Might be able to borrow one from a parts store if you do not want to buy one.

Yes it could be the block heater. There are some soft plugs in that area also along with the block drain. Could also be running down from higher up on the engine maybe from head gasket.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is probably leaking from the back corner where the intake manifold mates to the cylinder head. There is a coolant port that is blocked off by the intake manifold and gasket. However, the manifold is kind of cantilevered out in that area, and there is only one bolt providing the clamping, and it is susceptible to leaking. When a leak occurs, the coolant runs into the valley pan, out the back of the motor and down past the starter. Check up top, and work your way down.

jj339629

Reaction score
It is probably leaking from the back corner where the intake manifold mates to the cylinder head. There is a coolant port that is blocked off by the intake manifold and gasket. However, the manifold is kind of cantilevered out in that area, and there is only one bolt providing the clamping, and it is susceptible to leaking. When a leak occurs, the coolant runs into the valley pan, out the back of the motor and down past the starter. Check up top, and work your way down.
I’ll post some pictures today. Is that a head gasket job?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is only on 6.9 engines. 7.3 engines have steel plugs that block off coolant from ever reaching the intake manifold. Unless one of those plugs was missing, this couldn’t be possible. My bet is external headgasket leak, somewhat common on 7.3s.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is that a head gasket job?
No it isn't. You'd have to remove the injector pump, the intake manifold, and then the valley pan. Of course, it would be more complicated for since you have a turbo. That's why you'll have to determine where it's leaking from first.

jj339629

Reaction score
Update with a few pictures from today: any better leads from this or any idea how I can try and track it down better?
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpeg
    IMG_0845.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 14

jj339629

Reaction score
It only does it when I’m not driving and the day begins to get warm and the sunlight warms the truck up.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it isn't. You'd have to remove the injector pump, the intake manifold, and then the valley pan. Of course, it would be more complicated for since you have a turbo. That's why you'll have to determine where it's leaking from first.
I did all that today, to replace lifters. Had to remove my intake hat and turbo drain tube, on my Hypermax equipped 7.3. No other turbo parts had to be removed.

ihc1470

Reaction score
If I was doing the looking the first thing I would do is hose off the engine. Let it dry and then pressure test without running so the fan would not be blowing anything around.

If nothing shows up given a reasonable length of time then I would plug in the block heater so you get a temp change within the cooling system.

Starting with the engine dry you should be able to detect where the leak is coming from.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How do I track a coolant leak from top down?
They also make a dye that you can put in your cooling system to help find leaks. You will have to run the engine and then shine a UV light all over to see where the leak is at. There's more to it than what I said, but it's the short version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.