Unusual coolant leak on 1993 7.3 IDI factory turbo

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it use coolant? Could it be flashing off when it’s up to temp and running? Do you have a sweet smell when it’s up to temp and running?

As the day warms, pressure builds and it externally seeps....

Or maybe it’s just the nights frost melting and dripping down :rotflmao

Head scratcher for sure. I’m posting above my pay grade :cheers:

jj339629

Reaction score
I’ve narrowed it down to the upper radiator hose at the top of the metal housing above the thermostat.
BUT I just did that this summer… why would it be leaking? I can squeeze the upper radiator hose and see a slow ooze coming from there. I’m also using the stock tension style hose clamp. Should I change the hose and clamp?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Should I change the hose and clamp?
It may be an unpopular opinion, but I say YES! I used to reuse those clamps until, one winter, I put both radiator hoses on new for a customer. He and his wife stayed in a local motel that night, The next morning, he was on the phone in a panic because his truck with a brand new engine had a big puddle of antifreeze underneath it. Some new worm style hose clamps fixed the problem. After that, I didn't take the chance and threw those away.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with the factory tension clamps as long as whatever the hose mates with is free of rust pits. If it is pitted I would recommend switching to a good quality worm drive clamp (do not use the s h i t t y Chinese ones from the chain parts stores or you will strip them out before reaching the tension of the factory ones).

I save every old clamp I can get my hands on.

James

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve narrowed it down to the upper radiator hose at the top of the metal housing above the thermostat.
BUT I just did that this summer… why would it be leaking? I can squeeze the upper radiator hose and see a slow ooze coming from there. I’m also using the stock tension style hose clamp. Should I change the hose and clamp?
What did the pipe look like when you did it? Was it rusty and nasty?

Since you already did it once, I’d recommend taking that pipe off, power wire brushing it where the hose contacts it and replace the thermostat while your at it. Get it cleaned till it’s nice shiny metal.

jj339629

Reaction score
What did the pipe look like when you did it? Was it rusty and nasty?

Since you already did it once, I’d recommend taking that pipe off, power wire brushing it where the hose contacts it and replace the thermostat while your at it. Get it cleaned till it’s nice shiny metal.
It really wasn’t that bad. I cleaned all the rust off and did the thermostat this summer too. Did a full coolant job and even added a coolant filter

Black dawg

Reaction score
With the spring style claps, they need to be nice and square with the hose. Also, if you re used the hose and clamp, you really need to get the clamp back pretty close to the way it was on the hose.

jj339629

Reaction score
nice, got it squared away. Thank you.

Now I have a fuel pump problem but I just started a thread on. Any help there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online