....Towing a big trailer down too my buddies property...

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is one of the situations where you need a lot of that sixth sense, as in the common version. I have towed heavy trailers for a lot of miles, and will just say that I think the only way anyone can really say here is to see this situation first hand.....

If your gut says don't do it, then don't!!

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Before you do, just make sure everyone is clear on who will pay for any damages to either vehical.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm that sounds pretty questionable...might have someone hooked to the back of the trailer (in another truck or tractor) in case it begins to get out of hand they can help slow it down.

I like this idea myself. No one can see the road you are talking about, so I don't know how they can judge you will make it, but if there any turns on this downhill run in loose dirt or gravel, it will be very easy for the trailer to jack knife since it doesn't have any brakes.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although you might want to be a nice friend and help him out, this idea is a little concerning. Equipment can become damaged when it could have been prevented. Most importantly, someone can get hurt and that is never worth the risk. Safety should always be first on the list when thinking about doing something out of the norm.
Maverick1701 has a good point if you are going to do this anyways....regardless of our opinions. Good luck

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 4 LO and 1st gear, your gonna have a lot of engine braking also. In 4 LO and 3rd gear, top speed is only 35 MPH. You sure there is no brakes on that trailer, check for brake drums and if some then wires going into them.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is nuts, I was about to ask the same thing here, although I am not doing any offroading. I have a 32ft office trailer I need to move Saturday. Mine also has no brakes or lights. It was delivered her by a wrecker with a high hitch attachment. Not sure if I should start new thread or hijack this one, but my two questions are:

how should I light it up? Magnetic tow lights?

how do I know the weight of this thing? Mine is a simple one, no bathroom, bought it used, so I haven't found any info on it.

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and hijack, I am going to hook it up and get a better feel. When I was younger and dumber I did stuff like this all the time and didn't even think twice about it. I will check for brakes on the trailer and hook them up if I can. I think the ole girl would be fine. I put her in 4low just for the hell of it tonight ( its been along time ) and i think she'll be ok. I didn't tow this up there, I am just going to help bring it down the the landing spott where it will live the rest of its life as a make shift hunting lodge. I know its heavy but you only live once and if my buddy brings it down with a half ton chevy I will die. I will be safe thanks to all for the concern and the help. Good luck Danielle with your office traler too. Bernie

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in too, just be careful and take it slow. Hopefully someone can video it for you, that would be a memory worth keeping.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is nuts, I was about to ask the same thing here, although I am not doing any offroading. I have a 32ft office trailer I need to move Saturday. Mine also has no brakes or lights. It was delivered her by a wrecker with a high hitch attachment. Not sure if I should start new thread or hijack this one, but my two questions are:

how should I light it up? Magnetic tow lights?

how do I know the weight of this thing? Mine is a simple one, no bathroom, bought it used, so I haven't found any info on it.

Harbor freight has cheap trailer lights, good enough for what your going to do, in fact just as good as any RV store has. No bathroom, couch, chairs, refrig, bed etc., it shouldn't weigh over about 6500 at most. How far and on what roads you going to tow on and with what truck? Geez, thought you had it parked at the shop already with all the wireing questions.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
My head hurts after translating that... make sure you get this on tape, should be a good one.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight has cheap trailer lights, good enough for what your going to do, in fact just as good as any RV store has. No bathroom, couch, chairs, refrig, bed etc., it shouldn't weigh over about 6500 at most. How far and on what roads you going to tow on and with what truck? Geez, thought you had it parked at the shop already with all the wireing questions.

You are correct, Trailer has been here, and in process of hooking up. Thursday, After the town gave me the ok last week, they gave me the "un-ok". Someone with no ID came by Thursday while I was on a parts run and yelled at my lube tech told him we had to have trailer out by this Saturday (tomorrow!) or I would begin getting fines. Now I have to go move it, no clue where! And no one knows who was at my business! Zoning/construction office says wasn't them, borough office has no idea.

Love this town!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to use crew cab to tow it, but the hitch on it is 5k limit. I don't want to use the Bronco, since the trans on it likes to overheat (put coolers and bigger lines on it but have not towed since), but looks like Bronco is it.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Some many years ago I was a wind farmer. They were replacing a bunch of old turbines on a steep ridge across the highway from the field I worked at. The crane company they hired was trying to get a 100 ton Terex RT up a steep embankment at the top of a ridge, the crane simply would not get enough traction to climb the embankment. No problem, they hooked the brand new rigging truck, a 4x4 crew cab superduty to the front rings of the crane, and tried to use the truck to help get the crane up the embankment.

No go... Just wouldn't do it.

But in the process they overheated the hydraulics on the Terex. Those cranes don't have traditional drum or disk brakes, they are all hydraulic. When the pump overheated it melted the rotor head and blew all the fluid out... No fluid means no brakes. It started rolling down the hill with the crewcab still hooked up. Word is, the crew cab was in 4 low, trans in drive and floored with the tires spinning the opposite way and the terex still was pulling the truck down the hill. The crane operator and the driver of the truck jumped out just before the whole mess went over the edge and landed nearly 1000 ft down the bottom of the canyon.

Not trying to scare you, just keep it all in perspective. If you do it, like others have said, do it slow...

Good luck!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About this down hill tow trip.. Honestly without actually being there and seeing it my feeling are not to do it. I am trying to "see" everything about this short trip down hill but what and where will you end up if thing go badly. Just because a 3 ton rig got it there does not mean you need that much to get it down hill. But remember this too. The guy that got it there hopefully does this for a living and knows his limits. If he was not willing to get it down the hill with his bigger heavier rig.. why are you thinking your smaller lighter rig will do ok. Once again I can't see whats going on there so my thoughts are to not do it. So my guess is there is enough posts telling you how much they have towed on the rods.. Well that means nothing compared to what your attempting to do... Go down hill in soft dirt with no triler brakes. A straight soft rods is one thing but now throw in some cliffs and turns. If there are any tells me to pass it up. I may feel differant if I actually saw this hill and load but not seeing it... My thoughts are pass it up and save your truck... Maybe even your life. Now if and when you do this you know everyone here wants to see a viedo...

Black dawg

Reaction score
The reason I asked about tongue weight is that it the truck is balanced weight wise, you will have a much better chance at keeping the whole works straight.