....Towing a big trailer down too my buddies property...

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys, I have a quick question on towing an office trailer about 35 feet long and estimate its weight at over 8,000#s. My buddie bought some property up the Mendicino Coast in Nor Cal, He had a pretty large office trailer delivered up there via 3 ton truck, Like a kodiak. The guy whom brought it there didn't want to drive it down to the site of its new location, bad road. My buddie asked me if my ole ford could bring it down to the new spott for him. F-350 4x4 srw crewcab longbed, and new BFGs ATs. I told him it will tow anything anywhere its a FORD. Well now I see the trailor and its a biggin, The trail is pretty steep and soft dirt. No brakes on the trailer and wanted your guys thoughts, I would be in 4 low with hubs locked and just crawl down there and was wondering if I might have problems getting down there? I would only have to go 1/4 mile tops and just wanted to make shure I don't end up in a raveen. To give you an idea of the angle of the trail I can go up it in 2wd when its not raining, Sorry no pics but I will have some when I get home and post them. This might happen on sat. Thx for your input. Bernie

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm that sounds pretty questionable...might have someone hooked to the back of the trailer (in another truck or tractor) in case it begins to get out of hand they can help slow it down.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for. I pull a 40 footer once and awhile with mud trucks on it down some pretty nasty roads. 4 low and she shouldn't have any issues.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would take that opportunity, sounds like a good treat for the ol' rig. That would be a good one to video, good luck.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much weight can you add at the front of the bed? Any would be a help.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The downhill, soft dirt, and no trailer brakes is a little concerning. I will quote the late great MCA, "Slow and low that is the tempo."

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much weight can you add at the front of the bed? Any would be a help.

Do not add weight. You will have more than enough.

My truck has done the same thing you are describing, but pulled the office trailer (10k lb+) several hundred miles, then the last 5 dirt, and another mile off road. Go very slow, as you need to worry more about the trailer than the truck.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The downhill, soft dirt, and no trailer brakes is a little concerning.

X 2. A heavy trailer with no brakes going down a steep dirt grade can be a problem. If you loose traction at all, that sucker will push you where ever it wants. Why in the world would you have a trailer that heavy without trailer brakes? Not the idea setup. Be VERY careful with that sucker.

Heath

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you problly know about my bumper theres a reason for it being as heavy and flat as it is.
if it was really sketchy and muddy i would use a push truck in front to slow me down when needed. but push trucking is risky in its self if you do not know how.
if you wanna push truck pm me ill give ya a fast lesson.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Low range, 1st gear, when going down the steep hill. I've pulled 22k down an 7% grade, that was solid ice w/ my IDI w/ chains on. ( I wont lie, I was a little white knuckled. I had no trailer brakes either, you disconnect the brakes on your trailer(s) in that situation) The goal is to never touch the brakes (or need too) If your in low range, and geared down, that thing will hold back a mountain.
If it's just loose dirt chains probably wouldn't help much, but if there is some aggregate or rocks in that dirt road I'd chain up the front axle for a little extra "protection."

From the sounds with what you are up against, I'd do it. Just remember "Low and Slow"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance