6.9 E350 camper down in Cranbrook, BC

gandalf

Reaction score
I think JesusFreak (I think is was JF above) is thinking along the right line. I'd say the problem is at the fuel selector valve, mounted on the frame rail. It may have an intermittent short (good luck on that), or it is sucking crap from the tanks. In either case it is blocking the fuel flow.

Try an alternative fuel source. Try setting up a jerrycan feed directly into the lift pump. In doing this you will eliminate the entire fuel system between the lift pump and the tanks. If that works, move the temporary connection back toward the tanks, say on the engine side of the fsv. If that still works, move to the tank side of the fsv. If it does not work, you've isolated the problem between the fsv and the lift pump. Simply put, keep moving the fuel source toward the rear of the truck, eliminating sections as they work well. You can even start by feeding directly into the fuel filter, eliminating the lift pump.

Keep us informed about your progress.

Last edited:

parkergn

Reaction score
My guess is that there is water in the fuel tank and it's freezing, blocking flow.

If it sits in a warm shop it thaws out until it's driven outside and freezes again.

You can tee in a vacuum gauge to the suction side of the lift pump to verify if there is an inlet restriction while the problem is happening.
Hey thanks for the reply!

Been outside now in above freezing temperatures. Still plenty of air in the intake of the lines.

I added a clear hose on the outlet of the pump right before the filter. A lot of visible air lines flowing out of the pump.

parkergn

Reaction score
I think JesusFreak (I think is was JF above) is thinking along the right line. I'd say the problem is at the fuel selector valve, mounted on the frame rail. It may have an intermittent short (good luck on that), or it is sucking crap from the tanks. In either case it is blocking the fuel flow.

Try an alternative fuel source. Try setting up a jerrycan feed directly into the lift pump. In doing this you will eliminate the entire fuel system between the lift pump and the tanks. If that works, move the temporary connection back toward the tanks, say on the engine side of the fsv. If that still works, move to the tank side of the fsv. If it does not work, you've isolated the problem between the fsv and the lift pump. Simply put, keep moving the fuel source toward the rear of the truck, eliminating sections as they work well. You can even start by feeding directly into the fuel filter, eliminating the lift pump.

Keep us informed about your progress.
Okay yes that’s a great idea. I’ll try that tomorrow or suggest that to a mechanic if I can find another one in town. I’m not going back to the guy who left the van stranded Friday night.

I’ve attached a clear hose today, on the outlet of the lift pump. Plenty of air.

Drove to fill both tanks with diesel, no difference with air in the lines. At 1/2 tank or full on either tank.

I’ll keep you’ll posted

Attachments

• 5870858F-4780-4DE4-9BF0-508379A06E13.png
    5870858F-4780-4DE4-9BF0-508379A06E13.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: Clb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eta fuel switching valve 101 by old bull
Bad mechanics
First 2 knee jerk reactions

Bad showerheads will suck air at a 1/4 tank.
j f hit on pinholes above the full tank line
Are tanks full?

Shower head parts in fsv can do some weird stuff.
if the fsv gets stuck mid swing you get issues
Back blow the lines.

"Below" this is for back blow the lines above...my puter dicked me. vvv

Pull the line off before the pump, remove the caps from the tank and burp in low pressure air (as if you jack 100# psi into a full tank its gunna puke

E pumps are allways suspect.
Oem mech pumps are hard to come by.
I am really interested in frozen h2o in the system as it can literally take days to thaw.
look at them Scandinavian crawler builds
Sounds like it's not the pump

Also sounds like a lame business model leaving a test drive on the road and closes shop.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This should be helpful to you...

parkergn

Reaction score
FIXED! And back on the road on Monday.

Used a jerry can, and with clear hose, worked my way inserting at each part. Ended up being the replacement water separator I attached in the fall. The Amazon water sep had a hard plastic filter housing that seemed to crack on the top, so no diesel would leak but the crack got worse and worse. I’ve by-passed the part and back on the road, holding prime with no air at all in the lines.

Thank you everyone for all your help!! Been back in the mountains

Attachments

• F8D5411A-30C6-422A-B14D-90FC09DD5D46.jpeg
    F8D5411A-30C6-422A-B14D-90FC09DD5D46.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 5

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the "shower heads" are the plastic pickups that attach to the metal tubes in the tank. It really could still be a janky fuel selector valve. I don't think we have a replacement valve that anyone is happy with on here.
You must be registered for see images attach

I know I'm late to the party, but this is the fuel selector valve I currently am using. It has close to 15k miles on it with no issues.... so far.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, figures. I sent my reply after only reading the first few entries of the thread and not only am I late, but now I find out the party is over. I'm glad you got the issue figured out. :thumbsup:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also running the standard brand valve in my 83, been on since atleast 18. No idea if the quality is still there post covid though.

James

gandalf

Reaction score
Oilburners to the rescue once again. I'm glad we were able to help you through your problem, suggest a solution. The collective knowledge here is more than you'll find at any Ford dealer, and we're always here and willing to help. Happy travels.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry that scamazon has struck you with flawed product.
Nice camping spot.
Beautiful