Tools and Spare Parts

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAA card and a credit card. Big box of prophylactics because it might take a day to get parts.

Just kidding

I tow a dodge dually 12V wherever I go..... Just in case.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I actually change parts before they fail and then add them to the spares box. Also have a rule that if it is a custom part not commonly available then I have to buy 2 one for spare...
I look at it like if it could fail, and it can be changed on the road safely then let’s have it. And when it isn’t emergency I just go to the spares kit and install the part with no hassles, get another one on my time, quality and price....not just what they had in stock.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually change parts before they fail and then add them to the spares box. Also have a rule that if it is a custom part not commonly available then I have to buy 2 one for spare...
Yes, if it broke once, it will eventually break again. Have a spare on the shelf, or in the 20mm ammo can behind the seat.
I look at it like if it could fail, and it can be changed on the road safely then let’s have it. And when it isn’t emergency I just go to the spares kit and install the part with no hassles, get another one on my time, quality and price....not just what they had in stock.

If I can do it on the road - and if I'm willing - it makes sense to have the parts and the tools tucked behind the seat. I used to drive on old bald tires and carried patches, tire irons and a bead breaker. Forty years later, there is a lot less I'm willing to do by the side of the road, especially in the winter.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I haven’t seen but I haven’t read carefully is a strap wrench. Can be a life saver if you need to change a fuel filter on the road. I Cary a spare lift pump on trips too with connector installed to drop in.

+ 1 on the AAA card. If I’m not on a long trip I don’t Cary much but it.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't carry much. Starter, Vacuum pump, belts, 12v air compressor, tire plugging kit & tool kit. Most other break downs are towable. Plenty of parts at home. If long trip, I just rent. If it breaks down, they can bring me a replacement.
Almost forgot, can of Super Whoose if glowplugs fail;)

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, if it broke once, it will eventually break again. Have a spare on the shelf, or in the 20mm ammo can behind the seat.

If I can do it on the road - and if I'm willing - it makes sense to have the parts and the tools tucked behind the seat. I used to drive on old bald tires and carried patches, tire irons and a bead breaker. Forty years later, there is a lot less I'm willing to do by the side of the road, especially in the winter.

I'll be 58 end of September. I've made a career of health and fitness, unfortunately, said career was founded on the proclivity to do risky things... In the past it's been suggested that a transmission swap was doable in a field with nothing more than a couple of sheets of plywood, a floor jack and some jack stands. Maybe when I was twenty five. Me and Chillman just did the e4od in my truck. We had air and a tranny jack. I'd be hard pressed to do it again without a lift.
In regards to tools and spares, it comes down to whatever you're comfortable with. That being said, parts that might take a day or three to obtain...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Anything is doable on the side of the road, if you are up to it.

I remember a story of a member doing an engine swap in a rest area on the Grapevine in Kali, because it was the safer, easier option that trying to get the truck and load towed off. Some of the details are a bit fuzzy, but I do remember him talking about the swap in a rest area. Too bad, he isn't here to refresh my memory........

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, it depends on where I'm going. To work and home? I try to carry my main tool set(sockets, wrenches, pliers, multimeter etc) and my dewalt power tool set(impact wrench, driver, sawzall, batteries, cutoff grinder). I rarely use said tools for working on the truck away from home, but I often help others with them.
I also (usually) carry a set of good jumper cables(to jump others), ratchet straps etc.

On a road trip... I'm carrying a bit more - fluids for engine/trans/tcase, more tools, floor jack, spare tire.
I think I have a set of injector O-rings somewhere as well, just in case.

I will say, though, that the last couple of yearly trips... I haven't needed much of anything. No coolant, no oil, everything just... working right even after 1K miles.

steve phillips

Reaction score
maybe its being old school or a hillbilly, but I have rebuilt 2 transmissions in front of napa store c-6, 350 turbo. helped rebuild int. 466 on the side of interstate 65 south of Nashville tn after driver floated valves and dropped 2 working storm trouble. helped my dad and uncle rebuild a 671 Detroit in a bus in early 60s in front of local napa. plus replaced brake line in my aunts car at 13 in front of napa. helped my dad replace 2 pistons and do a quick valve lap on a 64 chev pickup in Louisville ky , when I was 10 years old truck had way over 200,000 on it then, had to walk to find parts store.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online