Cleaning fluid related tools

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the Mityvac brake bleeder from HF and hope it’ll last more than one bleed. For transfer pumps and bleeder tools anyone have a good way of cleaning out the fluid after use?
Putting here since gotta bleed the IDI again

Assuming isopropyl would work fine but not sure if there are any reasons to use something else

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a few vacuum bleeders/fluid extractors. Brake fluid is cleaned up easily enough by soap and hot water, then I let it air dry. Oil based stuff I just rinse it out a few times in the solvent tank, and then wash that out with soap and hot water, then let it air dry too.

The nylon hoses just gets dingy, yellow, and hard with age. Nothing you can do about it. I've replaced mine with the stuff on the roll from my local ace hardware. During covid I tried buying new hoses/fittings from mityvac, but most of the sellers online don't actually stock it, they just drop ship it direct from mityvac. After ordering and having it cancelled numerous times, I just gave up and improvised.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with our units. They're usually good for a few years, and are only tossed because of damage(stupid users), not because of wear. We kept burning through hand vacuum pumps, until I realized someone was sucking fluid with them and letting it get into the pump itself. The last one I've bought I've kept it hidden and it's still good, hoses are hard, but the pump is still good.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've had pretty good luck with my Harbor Freight bleeder. I thought it went bad because it quit pulling out the old brake fluid. Something had gotten inside the end of the hose that goes over the bleeder valve and clogged it up. I cleared it out and it works great again.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The plastic mightyvac I had didnt last long.
Mac tools offered a solid aluminum one that not only had vacuum, but a reversing dial to do pressure.

I think I've rinsed it out with just water maybe 2 or 3 times. Have had it for 7 years and works strong to this day.