Tips to help keep my egt down without takin the smoke away?

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
hahaha i do love the smoke and no i will never buy a cummins lol well maybe the engine but not the truck

Oh cool dude ;Sweet

I didn't know Cummins made a pickup, I knew Dodge made a pickup WITH a Cummins though :dunno

Good thing I wasn't telling you to buy a Dodge. ;Sweet :rotflmao

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed that you were in Utah. If you are going up into the mountains around there, then you REALLY need to turn the fuel screw down and advance your timing a tad. Most Bosch pumps have some sort of altitude compensation which cuts back the injected fuel amount and advances the timing above 3000 ft, but Stanadyne pumps are cheap, you need to figure that out for yourself. There is less air at altitude and if you try to shove too much fuel into the engine you are going nowhere, it doesn't make power if there isn't enough air to burn it, in fact you make LESS power than if you had cut the fuel back. You make the most power at the leanest mix possible.Gobs of smoke would only be doing anything if you had 35 lbs of boost worth of air to go with it to actualy make some of it burn, otherwise it's just making you loose power and heat up.

zpd307

Reaction score
i just went out to utah last fall for elk hunting. i noticed my truck smoked a little, from the altitude. i also could tell the difference in power. i also noticed all the other newer diesel trucks smoked a bit too. this was the first time i had been in the mountains.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, just curious, but with an IC or that cowl induction hood or both on my truck... if i saw 20 to 30hp or even a little more because of the combination of the two, how much would a guy notice it? I mean compared to now will it set me back in my seat? Compared to the 93 factory turbo i used to have, granted it was a lighter truck, i could spank the 85 with the 93. They both have turbos i just dont know why that is either. Im not sure about the 93 but the 85 seems to run real cool... crusising at 70 or so i think around 5 or 600.maybe that isnt low idk :dunno

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was the factory turbo. But it had the wastegate plugged... if that matters. but this 93 would spank it... this 85 dont have sh&% compared to the 93. probably in pulling or anything. Even when i get up to 70mph. WOuld an intercooler and cowl hood matter much? would i keep up then?

shafermartinez

Reaction score
Farr West?!? Hey you aren't too far away from me! Good to have another Utard on the board ;Sweet Do you have the Aurora kit then? Not too many here have that kit... :sly

yea im about the only kid around here with one and the only one with a aluminum flatbed white single cab but do you know how the hyper max thing works.... whats involved

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A truck like yours should smoke a little but it shouldn't be blacking out the sun and three lanes of traffic either. It should only smoke when you really get on it. The hypermax cowl induction helps a little. You won't notice much by the seat of your pants, but the intercooler is supposedly very noticeable so say the folks who have installed it, but it sounds like a really big project. You could stand to know what your boost is before you mess with anything too much, also getting the timing between 8.5 and 9.7 with pulse or 0-3 with luminosity would probably go a long way toward keeping your egts in check.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
yea im about the only kid around here with one and the only one with a aluminum flatbed white single cab but do you know how the hyper max thing works.... whats involved

Wow I'm 99% sure I saw you in Tremonton awhile back--did you have a stack on it for awhile? That's a nice rig if its the one I'm thinking about... Anyway there's a write up on the Hypermax setup somewhere. I was going to do it before I went with the intake off my 85 parts truck and it works good enough for me for the time being ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rot Box the factory intake is not bad, the hypermax cowl induction does get some reduction in intake air temps but not drastic reductions. I'm basing this on info from Sycostang and his air intake experiments. That info should be around here somewhere.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Rot Box the factory intake is not bad, the hypermax cowl induction does get some reduction in intake air temps but not drastic reductions. I'm basing this on info from Sycostang and his air intake experiments. That info should be around here somewhere.
FWIW, I think this is the thread you're talking about: http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43812 ....and, while Sycostang didn't post hard numbers (not possible since he lost his probe), he said that the differences were similar...with that said, it seems to me that the cowl induction should also provide some positive air pressure. A shame no one's tried this with an air pressure gauge...

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i just installed a hypermax cowl intake a couple weeks ago. not much of a performance increase, but the turbo is much louder, it feels more responsive than before, and i'm sure my egts have gone down. with my pump unchanged since the turbo upgrade, 4" exhaust and the cowl intake i'm bettin my egts are pretty low.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I needed mine because I had done away with the factory intake tube back in the day and was just sucking in hot underhood air. That was the worst method by his testing. One can fabricate something that works. I really thought Gus (biofarmer93) hood intake was nice, then there are the "Moose Tube" and "Ghost Tube" designs. Hypermax's snorkel is nice for anything that is truly cowl induction because it is molded just the right way to seal with the lip of the firewall where it screws in. Any of these designs or even the Ford factory intake are pretty decent. None of these mods will help as much with cooling the charge air as an intercooler or water injection, but it is better than nothing.