Wrong Color Smoke Loss of Power

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been a long time since I found myself posting here. I've had this 86 F250 4x4 for probably 16 years. 14 or 15 years ago I pulled the tired 6.9 out and put a good 7.3 in it with an ATS Turbo. Its been a really great truck and I've done a lot of work on it.

A few weeks ago I went up to the Chama, NM to puchase a compact tractor and drag it back home. The elevation here at home is about 6,000 feet and its around 8,000 feet in Chama. There are a couple of pretty long and relatively steep grades. I didn't have any trouble on the way up empty but on the way back with the load the truck seemed low on power. I was using 3rd and 4th gear to engine brake down one of those grades when I noticed clouds of blue/gray smoke, no throttle just coasting and my heart sank. At the bottom of the hill it continued for a while but then under throttle the smoke seemed to clear up but it still seemed low on power. I got home and I haven't driven it since.I have my own ideas but I'm curious about what some of the gurus here think about it. Thanks in advance

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Check your cdr valve. There's a vent pin hole on it, if it's plugged it gets stuck wide open. I've had a similar experience.

Black dawg

Reaction score
This sounds a lot like sticking advance piston to me. Run a bunch of power service...silver bottle, and see what happens.

This has been something that I have been noticing with my trucks since it really is only used occasionally lately. Usually clears up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online