Stranded! And the only thing I can do is get it towed

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at homeport, in port hueneme, CA, they put me in charge of P&E.
Okay, I have to ask...what timeframe were you stationed at Port Hueneme in? I ask because I spent quite a bit of quality time there in the spring of 1998...

Tim.. I'm betting most electric car owners have no idea what happens to the worn out batteries when they finally fail. At this time nobody recycles them so its yours to take home. So here you are at the dealer and they install a new battery.. Your as happy as a puppy with 2 petters. Then they tell you ... Thats your battery and you have to take it with you.. We do not want it. They weigh over 1000 lbs and sure as hell wont fit in the trunks of those battery cars. Maybe they give you a loaner trailer to get it home and plant it on the lawn or in the driveway.. Yeah.. Its a hidden problem you find out bout when its too late to change....I'm really not aragont enough to drive a pius or other electric car. I was driving my daughters 2015 Acura. There is no ignition to put a key in nor is there a key like I'm used to using. Al you need is to have the remote in the car. Then don't forget to press the brake. then push the red START botton and let go. It starts on its own. When you want to shut it down again press the start button. Leave the car with the remote and the doors auto lock as you walk away... WTH.. So I walk back to the car just to check if the doors are locked and you guessed it.. The doors open because of the remote in my hand or pocket.So that car is parked in front of my home. Daughter is in Florids on business and I have her car. Get to make another trip to LAX and pick her up Saturday I think.. I do not like her new car at all. Way too many bells and whistles. Driving to the LAX she told me make sure you use the turn signals when changing lanes or the steering wheel starts bouncing telling you to use them. Wow. Another bells is if you use a turn signal and someone is in your blind spot that rear view mirror flashes a yellow caution sign and a buzzer goes off.....I know what your going to tell me... READ THE BOOK.... Nope.. I like driving by the old ways.....
Gary, you think the Acura's bad...you should see the new Cadillac XTS that my company's replacing the Town Cars with. You practically need a computer science degree just to drive the car :rotflmao It's quite a learning curve, although I'm technologically inclined enough to understand it pretty well. With that said, I actively dislike the fact that there's too much automation in cars these days...it results in people becoming disconnected and losing situational awareness. But, I could rant about that for hours...

Don't even get me started on disposing of the batteries and whatnot...disposing of and replacing the batteries is a huge cost (both financial and environmental), and is enough to push me away even if range weren't an issue! I was simply addressing that specific issue in my earlier post.

That's when she bought the Prius. She gets better mileage than The Warden's TDI.
Them's fighting words :fight: LOL :shocked: Seriously, I concede that it gets better in-town mileage, but has she/have you done a hand-calculation on fuel mileage after a long run on the freeway where the battery doesn't have a chance to replenish itself and the engine has to do all the work? I'm willing to bet that, without the battery as a helping factor, the mileage numbers would be much closer...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was stationed in Port Whoneedsme from 96-99
in 98, i was only there for october - december
the beginning of the year, i was deployed to Yokuska Japan.
i was attached to NMCB 4
i was also married, so if i wasnt in my apartment, i was at the port hueneme beach or channel islands surfin it up
(rookie surfer)
back then i drove a brown 1966 Cadi Coupedeville
and a beat up blue 68 Pontiac lemans

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was stationed in Port Whoneedsme from 96-99
in 98, i was only there for october - december
the beginning of the year, i was deployed to Yokuska Japan.
i was attached to NMCB 4
i was also married, so if i wasnt in my apartment, i was at the port hueneme beach or channel islands surfin it up
(rookie surfer)
back then i drove a brown 1966 Cadi Coupedeville
and a beat up blue 68 Pontiac lemans
Sounds like fun LOL I was part of a crew going down there from the Bay Area every weekend from February to May '98 getting this beauty ready to be put in the water:

You must be registered for see images attach

If memory serves, she had been sitting in that parking lot for a while before we took ownership of her, so she may have been there while you were there...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun LOL I was part of a crew going down there from the Bay Area every weekend from February to May '98 getting this beauty ready to be put in the water:

If memory serves, she had been sitting in that parking lot for a while before we took ownership of her, so she may have been there while you were there...

i never spent much time at the docks!
when we did, it was doing brodies by the MLO warehouses, or in our pintos playing bumper cars lol

A 20 yr hitch was mandatory for retirement in my day!
You'se a luckeyfukk
it was an OTH discharge...
walked in the the MAA's office and demanded a **** test after i tried to get out legitly.

gandalf

Reaction score

Them's fighting words :fight: LOL :shocked: Seriously, I concede that it gets better in-town mileage, but has she/have you done a hand-calculation on fuel mileage after a long run on the freeway where the battery doesn't have a chance to replenish itself and the engine has to do all the work? I'm willing to bet that, without the battery as a helping factor, the mileage numbers would be much closer...

I didn't say it was a legitimate comparison. I took advantage where I could. Your TDI will get far better mileage on the highway and a Prius. The Prius is designed as an "around town" car. It's advantage is that it's gas engine shuts down when not needed. Take it out on the highway and you loose that advantage. I think I've seen lawnmowers with larger gas engines.

If I were to buy a car right now I'd tend heavily toward a VW TDI.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bawhahaha I was a reading tween the lines!
The comment was for the non combat ( pougies) that say " oh I retired" after a 2-3 yr hitch!

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
back on the road again!!!

the linkage between the pedal and the master snapped in half.

i could claim ignorance, and tell you that it was all sherry and giggles before.
but the matter of the fact is that i knew this needed attention.
i just hadnt addressed it yet.
so much for that jerry rig'd job..
youll see what im talking about.

luckily i know the tow truck driver, and he was actually on his way back, and his yard is right around the corner from my house.
he charged me 60 bucks for the tow, i handed him a 80, dispatch quoted me 160.

i had to cut a bend off it to get a piece of 3/8" steel fuel line to depress the 3 prongs in the master.

see how *****'d the rod end is? i knew something was gonna happen.

the pin is straight trashed also. this truck saw a really hard life before me.
slowly and steadily getting her back up to par.

i fired up the superduty thats been sitting for a month..
took a ride to the local hardware store purchased a 3/8" standard thread heim, a 4" bolt, and a "jam" nut.
a 1/4" drill bit. i know the cashier, a cute lill latino chick, brightened my day.
at ACE they are on the honor system with nuts and bolts. i told her the prices that were in the rack, and she looked at me with a cute lill smile and said
"they were all $.20 right"?
"thats right beautiful!" ;Sweet

cut the head off the bolt where i needed it to be, and chucked it up in the mill so that i can drill straight down the center, so that the new rod
wasnt just welded to the side i cut off. i figgured 1.5" would be enough.

fired up the TIG, and turned the gas on...***!!!!!

SOME DUMBSH-cuss FUC-cuss AS-cussOLE FORGOT TO TURN THE ARGON OFF THE LAST TIME I WELDED!!!

so i resorted to the MIG.

so
$80 for the tow
$ 6 for the hardware and new drill bit
$120 for a Argon refill
thats 206 down the drain...

THEN!..... as i was being towed home, all my dirtbag tweeker neighbors persisted to talk trash...
they wernt too happy when i test drove it and fogged them out.
i wish i knew an exterminator.

So you took new rod from cylinder, welded the ball end to the bolt then threaded heim onto threaded bolt end?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but I think you've gotta cut the rod down so that the assembled length is roughly the same as before.

I need to do this too.................................

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you took new rod from cylinder, welded the ball end to the bolt then threaded heim onto threaded bolt end?
I went a little farther, I drilled into the bolt so the rod would fit in about 3/4". so not only is the rod welded, it has no chance of the weld breaking and falling apart.