Stranded! And the only thing I can do is get it towed

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to go pick up some parts about 30 minutes from the house.
While on my way back, I went to stop at a stop light, and BAM!!!
Clutch went to the floor.
Almost slammed into a Prius
Light turned green and started it in 1st
Made it into a shopping center.
And this is where I sit waiting on a tow truck
Pics to come

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Linkage underneath??? Hopefully!
Hydrolic or pp?
Thats a new clutch aint it?
Firewall?
Good thing its sunny!

Hang in there

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that happen, slave cyl broike.

and I just got the last 2 bolts out, I figure someone put standard thread bolts in metric holes. things will move along now.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Ok I'm being half serious. But did you tell the TowTruck Company that you have a freaking long truck?
I've never seen a rollback that was long enough to handle your truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do not allow a tow truck to lift front end and tow off that end. Only way to tow a ZF5 speed when the back end in on the road is remove the drive shaft. Towing in neutral will not splash enough oil to lube the trans. Ask towcat bout that.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not allow a tow truck to lift front end and tow off that end. Only way to tow a ZF5 speed when the back end in on the road is remove the drive shaft. Towing in neutral will not splash enough oil to lube the trans. Ask towcat bout that.
Listen to what Gary said...THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

You might be able to get away with putting the transfer case in Neutral; I don't remember for certain either way...but, the output shaft on the transmission absolutely cannot be spinning with the input shaft not spinning; this WILL burn out the transmission.

Went to go pick up some parts about 30 minutes from the house.
While on my way back, I went to stop at a stop light, and BAM!!!
Clutch went to the floor.
Almost slammed into a Prius
Light turned green and started it in 1st
Made it into a shopping center.
And this is where I sit waiting on a tow truck
Pics to come
Am I the only one who was hoping the story would end with the Pious getting creamed? LOL Wouldn't have even left a scratch on the truck ;Sweet I guess it wouldn't be good for insurance rates, though...

I had a clutch slave cylinder let go on me as I was coming up to the toll plaza for the San Mateo Bridge...I think this was in 2003. I had this trailer strapped to the truck:

You must be registered for see images attach

No trailer brakes and all the weight was on the back of the trailer :shocked: cookoo Got her stopped in time to pay the toll, put the truck in 1st, cranked the starter (pulling the whole rig along the way), and by some miracle the engine caught...I was able to float gears across the bridge and on to the destination cookoo

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been there man!

The oil feed fitting broke off in the housing on me. I was about 15 miles from the house on the way back from a 100 mile trip. Got a roll back to come get me. Then pressure washed oil for a while. Seriously under coated the truck good.

So, what broke?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can drive it without a clutch. If it's not warmed up, put the tranny in neutral, let the glowplugs work and get it started. Let it run till the engine will start without using the glowplugs.

Stop the engine, put it in 1st or 2nd(whatever you normally use to get going) and then get ready to go. See if the way is clear, start the truck with it in gear, and you are off. Once you get out on the road rev it up, put a little pressure on the gear shift lever and let off the throttle. The lever will come out of the gear you are in and the synchronizers will let it go in the next gear. If it's a little stubborn, stab the throttle when it's in between gears and try again, just like you would double clutching.

Hopefully you won't have much traffic, I would wait till it's lessened some. If you need to stop, turn the ignition switch off and hit the brakes. While you are sitting there put the shifter back in the 1st or 2nd start out gear, and when the light changes, crank the engine and you are off again.

Been there done that, it's a little hairy but you can get it home.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
back on the road again!!!

the linkage between the pedal and the master snapped in half.

i could claim ignorance, and tell you that it was all sherry and giggles before.
but the matter of the fact is that i knew this needed attention.
i just hadnt addressed it yet.
so much for that jerry rig'd job..
youll see what im talking about.

luckily i know the tow truck driver, and he was actually on his way back, and his yard is right around the corner from my house.
he charged me 60 bucks for the tow, i handed him a 80, dispatch quoted me 160.

i had to cut a bend off it to get a piece of 3/8" steel fuel line to depress the 3 prongs in the master.

see how *****'d the rod end is? i knew something was gonna happen.

the pin is straight trashed also. this truck saw a really hard life before me.
slowly and steadily getting her back up to par.

i fired up the superduty thats been sitting for a month..
took a ride to the local hardware store purchased a 3/8" standard thread heim, a 4" bolt, and a "jam" nut.
a 1/4" drill bit. i know the cashier, a cute lill latino chick, brightened my day.
at ACE they are on the honor system with nuts and bolts. i told her the prices that were in the rack, and she looked at me with a cute lill smile and said
"they were all $.20 right"?
"thats right beautiful!" ;Sweet

cut the head off the bolt where i needed it to be, and chucked it up in the mill so that i can drill straight down the center, so that the new rod
wasnt just welded to the side i cut off. i figgured 1.5" would be enough.

fired up the TIG, and turned the gas on...***!!!!!

SOME DUMBSH-cuss FUC-cuss AS-cussOLE FORGOT TO TURN THE ARGON OFF THE LAST TIME I WELDED!!!

so i resorted to the MIG.

so
$80 for the tow
$ 6 for the hardware and new drill bit
$120 for a Argon refill
thats 206 down the drain...

THEN!..... as i was being towed home, all my dirtbag tweeker neighbors persisted to talk trash...
they wernt too happy when i test drove it and fogged them out.
i wish i knew an exterminator.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I just got the last 2 bolts out, I figure someone put standard thread bolts in metric holes. things will move along now.
dude. you better be enjoying your new grand kid! im in no rush. appreciate the update!

Ok I'm being half serious. But did you tell the TowTruck Company that you have a freaking long truck?
"i dont know how to say this, but im kind of a big deal" LOL
most of the tow truck drivers round here know me, i help them out so you know the saying, "what goes around, comes around"
I LOVE KARMA!!

Do not allow a tow truck to lift front end and tow off that end.
imma flatbed only kinda guy, ill pay the extra $$$$

Am I the only one who was hoping the story would end with the Pious getting creamed?
i would love to test the durability on my chincy assed bumper. however there were kids in the back seat.. my bumper woulda cracked their melons!

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who was hoping the story would end with the Pious getting creamed? LOL Wouldn't have even left a scratch on the truck ;Sweet I guess it wouldn't be good for insurance rates, though...

Nope definitely not. A part of me was disappointed when he said it survived. Not that I want anyone in a wreck, but also not like you would even feel it as you drove over a Prius...

Glad it's back on the road and it didn't catch you in a worse spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a particular and specific dislike for the Prius because a crazy/ drunk / I dunno what lady came all the way through my lane and smashed into our (fully paid for) Dodge Caravan even though I was 3/4 off the road and ended up in the ditch on our side. I had my wife and 3 of 4 kids with me and we were on our way to a Halloween party. Ruined our van and our night. We were 100% Okay.
Down side is the van was paid for. Up side we got a Ford instead, an 06 Expedition Eddie Bauer with just 86k on the clock (but it's not fully paid for).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc