starting problems....

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having terrible starting problems. I have one burnt out autolite glow plug, and I am putting new beru's in it. However no matter the temp It doesn't want to start. I believe I'm getting air in it and I have found a small leak at the top and bottom of the fuel/water filter. Could this little bit of air cause my problems? I'm going to go to a one piece filter, and Also my plug on top is mangled and the one on the bottom is too. I do not believe the fuel heater is working do to this. Any ideas? Im only a shade tree mechanic and there isn't much shade at my place...lol...........

badasp118

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where exactly are the fuel return lines located? Im trying to find a good chiltons manual........Im going to try to hunt the leak down. the wierd thing is once it starts it runs perfect. and restarts are fine until the motor is cold.. is this normal with air intrusion.....

badasp118

Last edited:

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
This has been discussed many times here as it's a common problem.If there is any air in the system it is hard starting and since you found a leak at the filter start there first.Look for any wet places around valve covers etc. also and replace what you find.I had the same problem and it was the filter so once the system is purged of air it starts again.Do you have any problems when it gets HOT?

sassyrel

Reaction score
I've not noticed any problems once its hot. Once it starts it seems to run great.

when you shut it off hot----and wait about 10 minutes--does it instant restart, or you have to turn it over 3 -5 rounds before it starts..that tells you if the inj pump is bad--the fuel returns are on top of the injectors

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where exactly are the fuel return lines located? Im trying to find a good chiltons manual.....

badasp118

The return caps and lines are located on the injectors between the injection lines and the hex portion of the injectors. They are plasic with fuel line connecting them together. If these areas are wet with diesel, get a kit and replace the caps, lines and o-rings on each injector.

I've not found much motor information in the Chilton manuals, but they do have good chassis stuff. For motor info, get a Haynes manual that covers the IDI's.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I am having terrible starting problems. I have one burnt out autolite glow plug, and I am putting new beru's in it. However no matter the temp It doesn't want to start. I believe I'm getting air in it and I have found a small leak at the top and bottom of the fuel/water filter. Could this little bit of air cause my problems? I'm going to go to a one piece filter, and Also my plug on top is mangled and the one on the bottom is too. I do not believe the fuel heater is working do to this. Any ideas? Im only a shade tree mechanic and there isn't much shade at my place...lol...........

badasp118

You are on the right track and those 2 locations will introduce enough air into the system after shutdown to create a major no start issue.

As susggested the return lines are also a major player in air intrusion but if they're wet with fuel they'll point ya to the problem children.:D

If you do have to replace them do the entire loop, orings and caps all at one shot as if you change one cap and not the one next to it, chances are if that one wasn't leaking it will be when you're done.

As far as shade goes, there's so much shade on this site that a tree will never be needed due to the wealth of knowledge provided here on this forum.:thumbsup:

We'll help ya spend yer money............................. Wisely! ;Really

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
I did forget one comment and that was also check hoses especially the one from filter to pump as I had a dry rotted hose and the cracks in the line were sucking air.Any air at all in the system will start to cause the problems all the fellow's have been discussing.When they run great they do just that but when you start having pronlems they are a major pain!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the tech article "Thoughts on hard starts and air".

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did read the tech article. I checked for leaks around the injectors and lines and it all looks bone dry. The wierd thing is once warm the truck runs great, and will start right away. But if it sits for any leangth of time then it won't. Ill check the line from the pump to the IP.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I did read the tech article. I checked for leaks around the injectors and lines and it all looks bone dry. The wierd thing is once warm the truck runs great, and will start right away. But if it sits for any leangth of time then it won't. Ill check the line from the pump to the IP.

thats what i was telling you above-----yet you said it would instant restart--yes,it will,but when you let it set for 10-15 minutes,the inj pump hot soaks,and the internal clearances open up, and make it near impossible to start--and theres another way to check that-------

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I drove it quite a bit yesterday, and you are absolutly right. if I let it sit for over 20 min or so im right back in the same boat. So whats the other way to check it? Im starting to feel like Im on the right track. I really do appreciate you guys steering me in the right direction. Theres just no way I could afford to take it to a shop right now.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Try driving it again like you did and leave it sit again same amount of time and if it don't start pore a glass of water on the IP and if it starts then you know the IP is starting to go.Again another common problem but also make sure your batteries are good as mine did the same thing but my batteries were dieing so I escaped a bullet for NOW!..I will replace thou with IP,caps, injectors etc.on the list.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A fuel leak at the filter will cause hard starts. How many miles are on the fuel filter. About the fuel heater not working cause the top wire connecter being messed up. At that connecter there is an o-ring. The cost around $2.0o at international. The part number is1811053C1. Buy two and have a spare. Replace theis when you change the filter. Remove the heater coil with a 1 inch wrench or socket. Push the heater out of the fitting. Use a dental pick to get the old o-ring out. Then install the heater and new filter. Fill the new filter with fuel and atf. It will be tuff to restart because of the small amount of air trapped in the new filter. Don't crank longer than 20 seconds. Let the started cool down. Hopefully this fix is all you need. Post back for more help..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel