Starting an 093 turbo install on my 91 F350

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing on the CDD site. Might have to make one. After looking of some completed turbo setups I think it would just be easier access to move it. I just don't want the truck down so long. Oh well, first world problems.:)

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point I would look into it, but I don't know what it takes to set it up. Would I use the controller, or all new parts?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
With all the AC stuff on the passenger side I don't know where I'd put the thing. I can't just fab up something like you could. lol.
Years ago when I had my 088 ATS Turbo on my '90 engine my controller was back there behind in the "V" & I hated it.
I had already done some mods on my pass side battery box. Decided to weld small flat metal plate to side of battery box with couple holes drilled to fit the controller. Moved the controller there & rewired it in to fit & supply for glowplugs. Not a very hard chore.
I'm fixing to do the same now with my '94 Factory IDIT 093 engine. Get the silly mounted controller off the pass side valve cover.

BTW, back in about '91-'92 I was at ford house & asked the mechanics how to wire push button glow plug controller???? One them said "Simplest way is find the black ground wire coming from the controller that goes to ground, cut it & splice longer wire to your push button, then from there run it to a ground. When button is pushed you're grounding it & activating your glowplugs."
I've had this setup on this current truck since then as well as 2 other trucks

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I want to say that one aftermarket turbo kit came with a similar bracket. Maybe for the 093?
It came with the turbo kit, it's not on their site. Give him a call and he may sell it separately

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, back in about '91-'92 I was at ford house & asked the mechanics how to wire push button glow plug controller???? One them said "Simplest way is find the black ground wire coming from the controller that goes to ground, cut it & splice longer wire to your push button, then from there run it to a ground. When button is pushed you're grounding it & activating your glowplugs."
I've had this setup on this current truck since then as well as 2 other trucks
Then how do you disconnect from the ignition switch? The reason I never did it before is because my controller always worked fine. I think I replaced it when I got it in 04 just because I didn't want problems down the road. I did the gp's then too. But I'm not liking the way it looks buried behind the turbo in the pics I seen.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Then how do you disconnect from the ignition switch? The reason I never did it before is because my controller always worked fine. I think I replaced it when I got it in 04 just because I didn't want problems down the road. I did the gp's then too. But I'm not liking the way it looks buried behind the turbo in the pics I seen.
I turn my key on, then push my push button for my glow plugs, count to bout 8-9-10, let off. If it's pretty cold I do it again after a few seconds. Then I turn key on to start & starts truck. Glow plugs don't keep on cycling.
Don't have to disconnect from ignition switch. All I'm doing is engaging the ground & that makes the plugs work, without all that cycling. Supposedly makes plugs last longer.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like ttman4 said, Turn key, hit the Toggle 10 - 12 sec (when really cold like it`s been here, 8 -18 deg at night) start cranking with peddle down slightly. Then after 10 or so sec, another 10 sec while still cranking, then one or two cly start to wake up, and she slowly comes to life.

If she is running a bit rough, maybe a couple 5-6 sec after glow till she smooths out.
This way I control the plugs. Now this is on my 86 with the older style Controller.
One wire goes to the relay, and connects to where the purple was was, other side goes to (Pos + Hot) with the key on.

Never messed with the newer style Controller, but seems like you could remove the relay, mount it on the Pass side fender, and deep 6 the Controller and not have it on the valve Cover.
That would clean up things.......NO?

Goat

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to move the gp controller to the fender. Might as well simplify while I'm at it. Been looking at old posts and pics so it should be easy. Actually might do the White Rodgers gp controller. Looks pretty heavy duty. Still gathering up some other odds and ends then I'll get it done.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to move the gp controller to the fender. Might as well simplify while I'm at it. Been looking at old posts and pics so it should be easy. Actually might do the White Rodgers gp controller. Looks pretty heavy duty. Still gathering up some other odds and ends then I'll get it done.
I use white rodgers on the fender, manual setup, if you have any questions let me know.

I know bullnose and bricknose wiring harnesses well too if you need any general wiring things.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure to clearance the hood hinge. I was warned and still forgot... thankfully it was fused first like it should be.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The white rogers isnt a controller its just a relay. If your controller is working just let it do its thing after you move it. Mine was staying on even after glow light went off. I just cut the ign circuit, put in a button..BUT left the controller because the ligh goes out then I let go.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
nope.
sadly.
Actually it's the Banks Side Winder. They show it on the website in the pictures of the kit and they also show it in the installation manuals. The way that Banks works, I will bet that they would sell it separately. They seem to be good that way.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
After doing a little more research, it's item # 64. Part# 60081 in case anyone wants to order one.
Actually it's the Banks Side Winder. They show it on the website in the pictures of the kit and they also show it in the installation manuals. The way that Banks works, I will bet that they would sell it separately. They seem to be good that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online