So what did you do with your truck today?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was supposed to be finish customer stuff, but part delay gave me some time. My dad came by with a popped off power steering return hose (00 4.2 f150).

I snuck out to the bus and got the fuel part of the electric pump hooked up.

Realized the coloring of the wires on the plug on the new relay were somehow swapped but got the pump running and pushing out fuel. Right now pulling right from a can.

I was hoping with a new single fresh battery I could get it bled, but no luck. Just not getting fuel to the lines when cracked

But as I write this, my neighbor's automatic generator just came on, which means neighborhood lost power. Which makes sense, it's 2pm, sun is shining, no wind.

So day over I guess.

Might have to relocate the passenger side battery to have two going to prime it with the new pump?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to get the other 2 belts on, Alternator and power Steering.
Woke up to 21 deg at 8am and deep blue sky, and was predicted to maybe snow.
Around noon went out to swap belts, notice clouds forming over Tahoe and whole MT. range.
It`s cold with snow still every where from the past month, but at least no wind.

Loosening up all the bolts on Alt. PS Pump and Vac. Pump not a big deal to get to, but wish they didn`t have 2 different sizes for Alt. and PS.

Remove Vac, Alt. then PS belt, then replace in reverse order, and tighten down.
Most difficult part is walking each one over the Fan and fan Shroud one blade at a time.
Yeah I know if I loosened the shroud would make it easier, but was dooable.

New belts are stiff and a mind of their own. get PS lined up is it`s pulley`s. Tighten it down, and the dang thing jumped over to the next grove at the bottom...GRR.
At least there is the square hole for a 1/2" breaker bar to fit in to pull it tight.
The bar has to come in from the back side, there is a PS steering hose kind of in the way. Noticed the fitting into the pump is loose and woobly, but no leakage.....HMMMM

Going on RA and order new hoses just in case later tonight.

The Alternator is always a pain in the lower extremities to tighten. Using a metal bar always slips. Found a 2ft piece of hard wood about 1 3/4 x 1 3/4", and was able to pry the Alt. over much easier.

Once it is tightened then the 2 Vac. Pump bolts.
I reblue Lock-titted them again. :cheers:

Removed all the tools off the core support and Air Cleaner lid, and double, tripled checked for any hidden tool. Dont need to hear a clang,bang from under the hood on start up. Always something I over look.

Cranked her up, and all is good, even the Alt. Belt has no slop.....well for now.

I put these Gates belts on 8 years ago, and don`t look all that bad for the billion times they went around those pulleys. Even bending the inside back, not really cracked like some I have seen in the past. Wondered how they even held together.

By the time I get done, have my fuzzy hat with flaps and chin strap on, my ears are freezin, my fingers so cold almost no feelings and hurt.
And there is some dusty stuff flyin around. Got done just in time. By this time is 2:15pm.
Hour or 2 later, just enough to make the ground white.
has dropped to 38deg and wind it picking up.

Goat

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Loosening up all the bolts on Alt. PS Pump and Vac. Pump not a big deal to get to, but wish they didn`t have 2 different sizes for Alt. and PS.
That does make it kind of a pain.
Most difficult part is walking each one over the Fan and fan Shroud one blade at a time.
Yeah I know if I loosened the shroud would make it easier, but was dooable.
I've never found that to be terrible. Just a minor annoyance because they always like to get caught on at least one fan blade.
Noticed the fitting into the pump is loose and woobly, but no leakage.....HMMMM
If it's the line inside the nut on the end, then I think it's ok. I don't think that they're supposed to get tight and not move. If it's the nut on the end of the line that's loose in the fitting it goes into or the fitting in the pump, then that should be tightened. My Red Truck had the high pressure line that would get tight and not move as I tightened the nut. That was a huge PITA to tighten that nut and get it tight enough for it to not leak. I finally gave up and replaced the line. The new one would still move a little bit and was much nicer to tighten.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I got about 3/4 of the first Belt over the Fan Blade, discovered if I lined up the depression of the Cog side with the blade, it was easier to fit between the Fan Shroud.

New belts are stiff and don`t want to cooperate kind of like a stiff frigid Maiden.

Nice to see both sides of the ALT. belt not flop around. I know, it eventually will. Amazing it doesn`t seem to shorten it`s life.

Few days ago when I replaced the Vac. Pump belt after I lost it. Tightened the Alt. then the VP. Started the engine and the Alt. belt was flopping on both sides. Like a Fat Girl running a marathon.
New Belts are Gootentite for now.

I like the idea of the Tensioner Pulley that I just read on another thread for the Alt. belt.

Goat.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will not be getting back on the idler pulley for about two weeks. Wether or not it will be a tensioner or just an idler remains to be seen. I can make it either easily but simple is better and the alternator is an effective tensioner it’s just that the space between pulleys is too far.

TygreII

Reaction score
I blew a fusable link the other day and finally got it replaced. Went to start it and nothing....
He turns over, but doesn't even try to fire.

So, after replacing the fuel pump, how lond does it take to get the fuel up to where it needs to go( 3/8 tank of fuel). So far I've cranked it over a bit. I haven't let it crank for more than 10 to 15 seconds a shot. I had someone shoot WD40 into his throat too. Nothing.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I blew a fusable link the other day and finally got it replaced. Went to start it and nothing....
He turns over, but doesn't even try to fire.

So, after replacing the fuel pump, how lond does it take to get the fuel up to where it needs to go( 3/8 tank of fuel). So far I've cranked it over a bit. I haven't let it crank for more than 10 to 15 seconds a shot. I had someone shoot WD40 into his throat too. Nothing.
You won't be able to prime it without bleeding it at some point in the system.
Best way is to crack the injector lines, and keep at it until you have steady fuel at each individual line. Tighten up, give it throttle, should be good to go.
Doesn't take long at all that way.
After so many times, you'll be able to bleed it under a minute assuming fuel and voltage are good.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Back in the game folks!
You must be registered for see images attach

She's obviously a little rough in the cosmetics department, but very solid mechanically. Made a 2 hour drive back. It's a 92' NA 7.3 zf5 4x4.
I don't want to rush the super duty project, so I figured this should do the job for the meantime.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Nice truck.

Did you really even leave? :cool:
Lol, yeah I've still been around.
Got way too many irons in the fire right now.
Also, I found out the fuel gauge is inaccurate...
I was heading to town to fuel it up at a quarter tank, then I found out quick, it wasn't actually a quarter tank.....
It stalled out within coasting distance of the station thankfully. Primed it up, and off we went.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Didn't do a whole lot today, but mostly because I spent a lot of time swapping doors and adjusting them.
I feel like I'm driving a Rolls Royce, I got me some power winda's and locks,lol
I was rather surprised that everything functions properly on the new doors

I didn't think it could look any better....but lo and behold.. hahaha
I drove it to church this morning (yes, really) and it did great. Started decent this morning for not being plugged in.
I'd like to start driving it to work next week or so. I have a few things to do first to go through it.

Aside from that, I have a surprise for the truck in a few weeks. It's gonna be interesting, so stay tuned...

Rock

Attachments

• IMG20230219174716.jpg
    IMG20230219174716.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online