So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the bumper passed stress testing today. Wish I'd had the headlight guards built. Just a little Doe at 30mph so it could have been worse.

You must be registered for see images attach

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the bumper passed stress testing today. Wish I'd had the headlight guards built. Just a little Doe at 30mph so it could have been worse.

How did the doe do

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Note to self: if I ever build a bumper, make it 6" away from grill so when something hits me it doesn't also mess up my hood.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Note to self: if I ever build a bumper, make it 6" away from grill so when something hits me it doesn't also mess up my hood.
Yes! YES!! YES!!! Mine is out about 8"-9" or more & it has saved me about 4-5 times thru the years!! That last time I hit that big Bull Elk up here N of Madras, Or about 2AM I was very sleepy. But I'm pretty sure it weighed about 10-20,000# & stood 15-20-30' tall.... for real!
Like I say I was sleepy, maybe I was dreaming, but either way it was a BIG ELK & my stuck out bumper & grill guard saved me!
Hit that thing really fast & connected on rt 1/2 of bumper/grill guard, elk got underneath & rolled round seemed like forever before it bounced out.
I was VERY lucky nothing got bent or broke or tore up in front or underneath!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok nice I actually thought maybe it was a previous incident but couldn't be sure. Your bumper looks like it didn't move, still square etc.
Nice work!

I think it shifted just a hair, but can't tell for sure. Looks to me like the side pieces that wrap around might be just a hair lower so maybe it kicked back a smidge. Probably just the free space in the mounting holes hahaha.

I'm thinking about some heavy wall 1.75 tube around the headlights whenever I get a bender. I've got a couple cages I'll need to make before too long.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Problem, cause, solution. This actually happened last weekend, but between a big staircase being in front of the overhead door and the cold temps last week, I didn't bother taking the truck into work to fix this. The welds aren't very pretty, but it is pretty thin metal and I can't see them when the door panel is installed. It is very nice to be able to get out of the truck again without rolling down the window.

Attachments

• 101_1937.JPG
    101_1937.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 101_1938.JPG
    101_1938.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 101_1939.JPG
    101_1939.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 20

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem, cause, solution. This actually happened last weekend, but between a big staircase being in front of the overhead door and the cold temps last week, I didn't bother taking the truck into work to fix this. The welds aren't very pretty, but it is pretty thin metal and I can't see them when the door panel is installed. It is very nice to be able to get out of the truck again without rolling down the window.
nice repair. this is such a common issue they actually make repair brackets for it, like they do for the firewall flex. so if your repair doesn't hold up you could always try a bracket, or make your own.

https://cpaddict.com/door-handle-reinforcement-plate-1980-1997-f-series-bronco/

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So someone on here shared this thread. I'm absolutely flabbergasted with it. Whoever it was, thank you very very much. I suggest everyone read this thread, it starts out in a teasing manner, get over it. It gets into hard data eventually and you have to follow Crossbones communication patterns. What he started has lots of potential to expand on.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So someone on here shared this thread. I'm absolutely flabbergasted with it. Whoever it was, thank you very very much. I suggest everyone read this thread, it starts out in a teasing manner, get over it. It gets into hard data eventually and you have to follow Crossbones communication patterns. What he started has lots of potential to expand on.

I suppose it could work for some, but it did not work for me. I was active on FTE when he started that thread. I followed the advice he gave and never saw improvements. In fact I went from 16mpgs all day to 14's and no amount of tinkering or tuning improved it. Didn't gain power either.
Wish I had left a good thing alone in retrospect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.