So what did you do with your truck today?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Nothing like some free firewood you can drive right up to. Helped my uncle drag logs out of a river bottom for firewood in NE a couple times. That was a total PITA.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Well you two have it made on cheap firewood. I pay quite a bit for natural gas each winter here in CA but some years out the nose to keep my 2nd home in Maine 50* all winter.

DrCharles I like your deal on firewood but like your truck even more. Cool old school truck. I considered buying a guys old Ford pick up with a dump bed he was selling cheap. (Downsizing.) But I would have had to pay to store it so passed on it. Still wish I had a place I could have kept it.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks... it's a '65 F-350 I bought in '00. A previous owner stretched it a couple of feet and added the steel flatbed. I built the sides and tacked them up, and had a nearby shop weld it all up, and add a reinforcement under the crane, for $70. Wish it had a dump bed, I still have to throw it all down the hatch by hand!

Last year I finally got around to fixing the cab rust. That was interesting. You can read about it with pictures here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1658411-time-for-some-body-work.html

Sorry, I forgot which forum I was on :p The IDI just took us to town on the mess of slush and melting snow (they rarely plow the less-traveled dirt roads... like mine) and I added some p/s fluid. It needs a few ounces every couple years, too small a loss to go looking for...

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
As I recall the truck I was looking at was a 1964. It had some rust on the roof and hood but the rest of the cab was fine. I was more interested when he told me it had a pto and working dump bed. But as I said I was not interested in paying to store it and would not need it very often. (Already have 3 trailers in storage so know that pain.) But it was really cool.

You definitely had some rust going on with yours but you did a nice job tackling it.

My son has some rust on his 67 Galaxie hood, rear window, and quarter panels. We slow rolled getting it running as COVID slowed us down last year. In Oct my buddy closed his shop so we spent the next 3 weekends moving out all our tools, parts, equipment, and the car. Then got busy with the holidays and finding a new shop to rent space from.

Should have it running by April. So we will let him drive it for a while to enjoy it and perhaps next summer we will take a wack at fixing all that rust. Then prep and paint it. It’s a little rough around the edges so not going for a concourse paint job, just clean, neat, tidy and rust hole free!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I'm replacing my 1ton Pittsburg crane with a 2ton because I need the couple inches of longer boom for my custom run stand.
The 1ton anyone here can have it for free if you can pick it up this weekend. I'm in southeast PA. I texted a couple other truck buddies so I don't think it will last long. I've used this one for 10 years. The piston seals are a bit wet but no issues. I removed and put in an idi with it 4 times this week.

You must be registered for see images attach
In case you did not buy it yet or see the add but 2 ton HF pickers are on sale.

Attachments

• 16442936910481173048309.jpg
    16442936910481173048309.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 8

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Well, I had a little time yesterday afternoon, so I spent way too long getting the pickup bed off the crew cab. I cut all the bolts like usual, but 4 of them got stuck in the lower channel of the bed. After braking a few straps lifting the truck up by the bed, I threw a chain under the support and ****** it off with the skid loader. Then I pulled the truck forward real slow of course, and the bed caught the bumper then pulled the skid loader around sideways until the bed swung into the skid loader cab and pushed the drive levers back until the skid loader backed right into the barn,lol.
Yup...
Anyhow, after cleaning that up, I got the flatbed set on the truck so I can mock up some things. I am going to remove the bumper on the flatbed and keep my drop bumper for the hitch.
I also did the return lines and caps. This time I tried a napa echlin kit. It's much better than the other napa kits I have used.

Rock

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$0 is a good deal... on the other hand, I get this truckload for $50 at the local sawmill, and I don't even have to load it myself :D
That's my kind of logging, no offense to those that enjoy it, but cutting and splitting wood during the summer isn't my idea of fun. I helped gpa do that for a few years as that was the sole heat for the house. He had a heart attack and installed a propane furnace, and that was the end of it. This past summer my wife wanted firewood for campfires and suggested we cut it ourselves. I laughed and told her to get to it then. After my scolding I went and bought hardwood cut-offs from the local sawmill, I think the guy charged me 20 bucks and a couple beers for a backhoe bucket.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
This is still taking way too long, but it was a real pain getting it set right since it was sliding down hill

Now I get to level it a touch and mount it. Coming together pretty good though, I like it

Rock

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is still taking way too long, but it was a real pain getting it set right since it was sliding down hill

Now I get to level it a touch and mount it. Coming together pretty good though, I like it

Rock
You took the bed off...then what? Now you're already putting it back on the same truck it looks like. With no pictures of the neked frame or nothin'!

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
You took the bed off...then what? Now you're already putting it back on the same truck it looks like. With no pictures of the neked frame or nothin'!
I bought the truck with the stock pickup bed on it, which I removed yesterday. I had this flatbed sitting around that I've been waiting to use for something, so I am currently mounting the flatbed to the truck. This bed is awful heavy. It was a massive pain swapping beds by myself with a skid loader. Hopefully this weekend I'll figure out the mounts, and wiring, then new decking with access to fuel tanks and gooseneck of course.

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went over to my late buddy's place to help his widow with a few things. Truck has been sitting at least since late December when he drove it last. Fired right up first try after a little bit of cranking. I'm a little bit impressed honestly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance