So what did you do with your truck today?

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I could think while reading this was "who in their right mind would put a plow on a F100?!?". That's just insane to me.
Exactly. Who does that, and who buys an F100 that had a plow on it?
I think @TNBrett nailed it. It’s kind of like when I was young and my friends would tell me the gf I had was toxic. But I wouldn’t listen a bit and still go with her until I ran all my credit cards up and finally realized the b**ch is cancer :frustrate

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this happened today. I wish I could find out if I just crested 200k or 300k. The previous owners (with all due respect) are interesting people, take that as you want to. They insist that it had 85k on it when I bought it but I know that to be not true at all. Still wish I could figure out an estimate on what it really has on it. I’m assuming 300k

Attachments

• 3DB23551-F539-4571-AEC1-69B64B55D8D0.png
    3DB23551-F539-4571-AEC1-69B64B55D8D0.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
this happened today. I wish I could find out if I just crested 200k or 300k. The previous owners (with all due respect) are interesting people, take that as you want to. They insist that it had 85k on it when I bought it but I know that to be not true at all. Still wish I could figure out an estimate on what it really has on it. I’m assuming 300k
Often the front drivers seat and door will tell you a lot about it’s millage. If the seat is not torn on the corner and not a re-upholstery job, it had 85 k. If it was torn and missing foam it was likely 185k. If it was trashed or re-upholstered then more like 285k. If the door shuts nice figure 85k. A little loose and have to pull hard to make it shut, figure 185k. If loose on the hinges, missing part of the seal, door shakes on dirt roads, door rest/handle broken or missing figure 285k. It’s not scientific but it’s often pretty accurate.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Often the front drivers seat and door will tell you a lot about it’s millage. If the seat is not torn on the corner and not a re-upholstery job, it had 85 k. If it was torn and missing foam it was likely 185k. If it was trashed or re-upholstered then more like 285k. If the door shuts nice figure 85k. A little loose and have to pull hard to make it shut, figure 185k. If loose on the hinges, missing part of the seal, door shakes on dirt roads, door rest/handle broken or missing figure 285k. It’s not scientific but it’s often pretty accurate.
Yeah its got all of those. That’s how I knew they were wrong on mileage. The door was very loose and there’s a nice rip in the seat. One thing I also looked at were all the body mount bushings. None the less it’s been a good truck

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to track down an annoying drive line vibration. What's everyone's opinion on this? It was done by the shop that changed the carrier bearing a couple years ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's really not bad at all below 55. Around 60 it gets annoying and around 70 it gets downright miserable.

I may have a tire balance issue too, but this particular vibration has been around longer than the current tires.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to track down an annoying drive line vibration. What's everyone's opinion on this? It was done by the shop that changed the carrier bearing a couple years ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's really not bad at all below 55. Around 60 it gets annoying and around 70 it gets downright miserable.

I may have a tire balance issue too, but this particular vibration has been around longer than the current tires.

Chris,

Quick trick, pull the clamps off (unscrew until you can separate them). Then, go grab 2 zip ties, and replace the hose clamps. My OCD says to put them 180 out, kinda like those clamps are. But you are going to have much less rotating mass with 2 plastic zip ties, vs those hose clamps. Just remember to leave the tails on the zip ties, that why when they start beating on the bottom of the truck, you think you have MUCH BIGGER problems..... LOL not that I have ever seen someone use a 1/4" by 2 foot long zip tie on a driveshaft before....... LOL

It doesn't take much weight on a spinamathing to cause a vibration. I've been in a front wheel drive vehicle that when driving in the snow, and busting drifts, you get a weird vibration. Figured out it was the snowpack stuck to the half shafts. Knock the pack off, vibration went away.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris,

Quick trick, pull the clamps off (unscrew until you can separate them). Then, go grab 2 zip ties, and replace the hose clamps. My OCD says to put them 180 out, kinda like those clamps are. But you are going to have much less rotating mass with 2 plastic zip ties, vs those hose clamps. Just remember to leave the tails on the zip ties, that why when they start beating on the bottom of the truck, you think you have MUCH BIGGER problems..... LOL not that I have ever seen someone use a 1/4" by 2 foot long zip tie on a driveshaft before....... LOL

It doesn't take much weight on a spinamathing to cause a vibration. I've been in a front wheel drive vehicle that when driving in the snow, and busting drifts, you get a weird vibration. Figured out it was the snowpack stuck to the half shafts. Knock the pack off, vibration went away.

That's kinda what I was thinking about trying, thank you!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just take the hose clamps off and drive it. It isn't going to die in a trip or three just because you got no clamps on there.

If it still vibrates the same, you'll know that wasn't the problem.

I'd still replace the hose clamps with zip ties after that, though.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't going to die in a trip or three just because you got no clamps on there

Yeah but that fourth trip is a doozie! LOL

I suppose my paranoia was getting the best of me a little. That's a greaseless slip joint, I think that boot is only there to keep the dirt out anyway.

The thing that makes me mad, is I had removed the OEM clips carefully and realized I wasn't going to so it myself. Then I carefully reinstalled them and the shop just hacked them off and put hose clamps on!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a slip joint like that in the passenger side front axle. I just hacked the clips off. Then when I put the axle back in, I replaced them with the thickest zipties I could find.

By the way, greaseless or not, I packed that sucker with grease anyway, then slid the boot over it and clamped it with the zipties.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
First off, due to standing on principles, I'm a flip phone hold out. I use a flip phone, a Kodak, and a PC. Since I left my camera in my garage yesterday, this is a two parter.
Yesterday I picked up the final missing part to (hopefully) put A/C in the Blue Truck this weekend. Without the belt, I would never have any cool air inside the cab during the summer. After buying that, I went back to my garage to put new tires on my miracle friend's boat trailer so he could take it home and sell the boat and trailer. First off, 4.80-8 tires aren't really much fun to work with. Then, as I was removing the second old tire, with a generous helping of swear words thrown in, I noticed the the tire said "Montgomery Ward" on it. From what I remember, they closed down in the early 90's. so that means those tires are probably 30 years old or older. That explained why they didn't want to come off very easily. He's still trying to be a penny pincher so he doesn't want to sell the boat with new tires on the trailer. He's got a surprise coming. I told him that the one tire that I looked at wasn't any good. Both of them had rubber coming off of the sides by the time I got the trailer pulled the whole block and a half (in 4 LO, 2nd gear non the less) to my garage. He told me that everyone wanted $11 to change out one of those tires where he lives so he thought that he'd bring them back to me. I'm going to tell him to bring them as many times as he wants to. I'm NOT going to be putting those junk tires back on anything.
Today, I decided to finally mount my Harbor Freight jack onto the front of my pickup box trailer. It wouldn't lift high enough to get the trailer off the ball on my bumper (it wouldn't even reach the ground) so I had to modify it a little bit. I had everything all measured out and then decided that if I should extend it 2 more inches just to be sure. It sounded like a good idea until I tried to get the trailer unhooked from the truck. It wouldn't raise the wheel at the bottom high enough to even get the jack vertical. So I had to cut 2 1/2" off of my extensions and redrill the mounting hole for the wheel. The I had to cut off the extension pieces so that they wouldn't drag on the ground (good thing that I have a grinder and some cut off wheels). After that, everything works as it should now. Of course now I'm thinking "why didn't I do this YEARS ago?" I knew that I had to drill mounting holes in the trailer frame, but I wasn't planning on modifying the trailer jack extensions so I only managed to get half of the yard there mowed. At least I know that the grass will still be there tomorrow.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    665.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    579.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    430.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    567.7 KB · Views: 9

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Of course now I'm thinking "why didn't I do this YEARS ago?"

Been there! I find it is usually because I always have something else more important to fix every time I have an extra moment. Or I have done something temporarily to get by and it keeps working so I keep using it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online