So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From what I have found online it looks like it is a dana 50, with 3.54 gears.

I believe it is a replacement axle, because the axle code on the door label is 39. And that is supposed to be a Ford 10.25 in an econoline van
A Dana 50 is a front axle. Like TNBrett said, the 10.25 was only a rear axle so you probably have documentation for both of your axles.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa wouldn’t let me order one off of their website last night, but Jegs did. It said it would ship from the manufacturer so I don’t think my odds are that great, but I guess we’ll see.
I'm not surprised with such low stock. The manufacturer(felpro) is out if I'm reading hacked89 correctly, so you eta from jegs, summit, and everybody else shipping direct from felpro would be 15 months.

Call your napa store personally. There might not be exactly 3, as warehouses tend to show stock of things they don't have from my experience. But they still should be able to get you at least 1.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this a while back. Think I even mentioned it here. Thought I'd just show it.
You must be registered for see images attach

The yellow is the old road tube. It used to hang down behind the engine. Man, there is a LOT of oil all over everything down there, from that tube! I'm going to clean that up, to make sure it isn't coming from something else. But I'm pretty sure it is all from that tube.

It would smoke like the truck was on fire, at a stoplight. Lots of angry looks.

Decided to pull it up to where you see it now, and put an extension on it so it would go into the intake. The red is a plastic irrigation elbow. And the yellow is the new tube. Clear vinyl tubing, reinforced with fiberglass strands.

My one concern was whether or not I would end up with "run-on". That has not been even close to a problem. But if that ever happens, I can pop the hood, and yank that hose out of there. It's purposely not anchored at that end, for that reason.

The truck in fact, runs smoother now. When at idle at a stoplight.

That clear tube is black now. There is a lot of oil that comes through that. I have plans to make a homemade catch can, which I will put in place of the irrigation elbow.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's one of those fancy oil soak filters, anyway. LOL K&N, I believe.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They used really big rivits to hold these in place. You can just drill them out. I could not find ones as big as Ford used the day I did the job. So used the biggest ones I could find. (O'Rielly's or Ace Hardware.) They were a little smaller, so I put a washer on the back of the rivet before I pulled them. Worked good!

You could also replace with stainless bolts if you don't want to goof around with rivets.

Well I'm glad you said something because I got looking into it and figured out how I'm going to attack that particular problem.

That should do the trick! $7 plus shipping through McMaster-Carr for a bag of 10. They're only Zinc plated, but the rest of it will be stainless. It might be overkill but I'll thank myself whenever I go to put dynamat in the doors!

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m mentally preparing myself to take all my pedals out once I get home so I can install the firewall reinforcement plate. I am lucky because I work literally 5 minutes from my house so believe it or not I have been riding my little mini bike to work some days LOL. I’m sure I look like a tweaker but it saves a bunch of money.

Attachments

• 8A6F64C9-94B7-4A89-9475-6BFCFDBB4E9D.jpeg
    8A6F64C9-94B7-4A89-9475-6BFCFDBB4E9D.jpeg
    603.7 KB · Views: 7

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit the right side of the truck with clay bar, scratch compound, polish, ceramic wax. Windows got clay then wax, and bumper got polished and ceramic wax. Sun is out and getting hot so left side will have to wait. Time for brake lines!
If you get board you are more than welcome to "practice" on my all black CC Dually

I was just looking at my truck yesterday realizing it is overdue for a good wax job. It's a lot of work!

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I spent the day working on my truck. Instead I’m helping do a fuel tank and carburetor on a buddy's truck. Now he can help me do my fuel tank next time!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 7

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol well he kind of got thrown through the ringer and taken advantage of. It’s his first truck, he wanted a highboy but ended up with this 79 F100. He bought it out of Maryland and it had a plow attached: so yes, LOTS of rust :/
He paid 5K for it too… no brakes, sending unit was bad, fuel tank had a crack in it, floor pans were absent on driver side pretty much, passenger side just had a giant hole.
The bed has holes you can see through because of rust. Cab corners rusted, frame has lots of rust, exhaust non existent because rust has ripped holes everywhere… BUT even though I told him not to buy it and he did doesn’t mean I won’t help him bring the old dog back to life! So far we have the new fuel tank in, filler neck, fuel pump, filters all around, carb rebuilt and a new radiator ready to go in. New belts as well. It has the 400M or 6.6L I believe.
The thing is PO jerry rigged a bunch of **** everywhere so it’s a lot of “*** is this and why did they do it like this?” Helping him today though made me realize how much more I like our mechanical Diesel engines. People say they are more complex or harder to work on but idk, I think the opposite at this moment. Freaking carbs are so damn particular. I can literally dump ATF in my fuel filter and my truck still runs great! Well, there’s the extended skinny @IDIBRONCO. After a long day, no lunch, and a six pack of natty light :Thumbs Up

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks. I love Dent Sides, but I also have to agree that he was taken advantage of. A year ago, I looked at a couple of High Boy Dent sides for a friend. If you took the bale bed off of the one that had it, you could have bought both for that $5000 and they both ran, drove, and stopped. Naturally they also had less rust. All I could think while reading this was "who in their right mind would put a plow on a F100?!?". That's just insane to me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have guys at work ask me all the time to look at vehicles they are buying. It seems like the worse it is, the more likely they are to ignore what I say.
Funny how that works, isn't it? My dad did the exact same thing years ago. He knew that I rode a guy's wife's motorcycle to work so she could take her test and get her motorcycle license. He asked me what I though about it. basically I told him that it was junk and that he shouldn't buy it. It was a very short period of time that passed when I saw it under his car port. He had it for a few years before he died and I don't know if he ever rode the thing. A lot of times there was tools sitting next to it or a battery charger hooked up to it, but it was there every time that I looked. It ran fine, but it was honestly the worst motorcycle that I've ever ridden. I didn't say anything, but I hated to see him waste his money like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online