SMOKE SWITCH

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
He wont blow his transmission. Its a built TCI e4od with the TCI trans. Still shifts like new and its got 266,000 miles on it. I blow a lot more smoke than alot of cummins,powerstrokes,duramaxes. I have injectors fuel pump maxed out and 14 psi of boost. I blow enough to smoke out 3 lanes and smoke a tunnel. I blow about as much as my friend with a cummins that has stacked edge and smarty.I want to know how to do it. I have the money for a tranny....

The tranny could come frm the best builder around. Do that to much it will fry.:dunno

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fordboy these guys are just trying to help you out. They dont want to see you burn up a good tranny. E4ods are an expensive animal to get rebuilt so you could use that money on someting good.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the right reason to lock the torque converter? Shoot, these trucks smoke enough without trying most of the time, no need to make more. I'm guessing the lockup might be for less friction close to WOT or the reason the C6 always have horrible fuel economy.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
What is the right reason to lock the torque converter? Shoot, these trucks smoke enough without trying most of the time, no need to make more. I'm guessing the lockup might be for less friction close to WOT or the reason the C6 always have horrible fuel economy.

Personally, I had an issue with mine not grounding properly and the switch gives me the ability operate it manually. It sucked running down the road with the RPMs all over the place because of the TC......

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have $2000 in the bank and nothing to spend it on than sure, go ahead and try it. Because thats what it will cost you to replace that transmission. Air pollution aside, why would you want to make that kind of smoke? diesel isn't getting any cheaper and smoke is wasted fuel. From what I hear you can also make smoke by setting paper money on fire.

It may wreck the tranny and then maybe not, because if you really lug the engine it won't be putting out that much torque anyway, but think about what you're doing to your poor truck. If you try and haul up a hill and the transmission slips without you realizing it, you will kill it no matter how well built the tranny is. They will get hot enough from slipping to melt steel.

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I see somebody's diesel smoking like a chimney, I am half tempted to report them to the smog nazis. What is so great about choking me with your unburnt fuel? I must have missed something in class on how to be like a 15 year old.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know ......... put a burning tire down that 8 inch stack........that'll make more smoke without killing your tranny.LOL

Just yank'n your chain. ;Poke

Seriously, this is not a good idea as many have suggested above. But, you have the info. to do it if you must.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 02 Excursion has bipolar disorder, especially when towing. Under 45 MPG with the torque converter unlocked, it can't get out of its own way. Reminds me of all those bad dreams I had as a kid with the evil vulture trying to get me, and concrete blocks around my feet. Once it's locked up, and doing about 65, it passes everything on the hill. I've been so ticked off at it's sloth like attitude, I've floored it and tried to kill it! Yes, I feel bad about that. It actually seems faster to just sit still. God I wish it was a manual. -cuss I've considered doing the TQ lockup mod many times. However, Ford seems to have designed it to take care of itself, and not give a rip about who is driving it. I don't want to spend any money on it, so I just let it be. :rolleyes:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is so great about choking me with your unburnt fuel? I must have missed something in class on how to be like a 15 year old.
The only reason I used to do that is to get rid of someone following so close I barely see their roof over the tailgate - I had one ******* pull into a gas station with me and have the balls to yell at me for smoking him, told him if he wasn't drafting he wouldn't be smelling it :backoff Those guys really used to **** me off, especially if there are more than one road lanes open and they still run like their bumper is welded to mine... Then I installed one of those 3-ball draw-bars made of solid 2x2" steel piece, and turned the pump down, and when needed just give 'em tailgaters the engine braking treatment :angel: Oh, and did I mention how much I love having 20+ mpg at 65 mph?

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I used to do that is to get rid of someone following so close I barely see their roof over the tailgate - I had one ******* pull into a gas station with me and have the balls to yell at me for smoking him, told him if he wasn't drafting he wouldn't be smelling it :backoff Those guys really used to **** me off, especially if there are more than one road lanes open and they still run like their bumper is welded to mine... Then I installed one of those 3-ball draw-bars made of solid 2x2" steel piece, and turned the pump down, and when needed just give 'em tailgaters the engine braking treatment :angel: Oh, and did I mention how much I love having 20+ mpg at 65 mph?
Heh, when somebody is drafting me, I put the right turn signal on, and slow down at every road.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 02 Excursion has bipolar disorder, especially when towing. Under 45 MPG with the torque converter unlocked, it can't get out of its own way. Reminds me of all those bad dreams I had as a kid with the evil vulture trying to get me, and concrete blocks around my feet. Once it's locked up, and doing about 65, it passes everything on the hill. I've been so ticked off at it's sloth like attitude, I've floored it and tried to kill it! Yes, I feel bad about that. It actually seems faster to just sit still. God I wish it was a manual. -cuss I've considered doing the TQ lockup mod many times. However, Ford seems to have designed it to take care of itself, and not give a rip about who is driving it. I don't want to spend any money on it, so I just let it be. :rolleyes:
mel-
you gotta keep these choker motors wound up if you want to be in the powerband. All my company rides are choker trucks except for the IH4700 which is a DT466. I am firmly convinced that they are intentionally programed to be slugs for longevity reasons as well as fuel economy. Even the bolt-action '97 f450 is sluglike in it's performance. Only the '05 f550 has something that resembles acceleration but it can't stay out of the shop. right now it's in week 2 of being over at MVFT for yet another replacement turbo. and lo and behold....it's just 500miles outside of it's 100k warranty. They should be glad I'm not the owner of the chassis, it'd be on fire on their front lotcookoo:D

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
oldmisterbill,

How did you go about putting in a fuse? I think thats a great idea!!!

Thad

I just rtan the wire fron the lockup switch to a fuse then to the ground.My setup is run from the computer to the switch to ground.It servs to only lock up the convertor when I want it to I don,t see the need to unlock the convertor by a manual method.I lock it up when ZI shift into lock up-leav it alone til I plan to stop then at 35 MPH flip the switch.The convertor will not build anywhere near as much heat in lock up as it can when unlocked.
It has proved to be the best mod i ever did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726