SMOKE SWITCH

fordboy324

Reaction score
Alright guys. Been meaning to ask this. My friend has a 2000 f250 with the e4od and he wired a smoke switch which throws his truck into overdrive and creates a lot of smoke. i have the e4od with a shift kit and i just purchased a tci torque converter for it. How can i wire this thing up? my friend told me a shop did his but he said they just took the overdrive wire out of the harness...spliced into it and ran a wire to his dash...my quiestion is it really that simple and what wire is it and what color if it is color coded?
THANKS!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Not worth the effort. These trucks dont smoke nearly as much as powerstrokes or cummins, and by the sound of it what you guys are actually doing is throwing the tranny into OD when it shouldnt even be close to shifting there. Dont do it. Force shifting an auto is VERY ******* them, I dont care how built the transmission is.
Trust me I know. I used to force shift my TH350 in one of my camaros using a ratchet shifter and I blew it twice before I grew up and realized I didnt have money to be fixing the thing all the time. And that TH350 was BUILT, special clutches, valve body, TC, the whole works.
My advice would be to let your buddy be the one to blow his tranny.

fordboy324

Reaction score
He wont blow his transmission. Its a built TCI e4od with the TCI trans. Still shifts like new and its got 266,000 miles on it. I blow a lot more smoke than alot of cummins,powerstrokes,duramaxes. I have injectors fuel pump maxed out and 14 psi of boost. I blow enough to smoke out 3 lanes and smoke a tunnel. I blow about as much as my friend with a cummins that has stacked edge and smarty.I want to know how to do it. I have the money for a tranny....

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey, do what ya want, but just dont say none of us didnt warn ya.
Like I said, TCI, Zoom, Dorman, Centerforce, even Trans Go, dont make a difference when you're beating on them like that they will eventually lay down and say no more.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you really really wanna smoke people out then I got a strange idea. how about seting up a pulse injector into the exhaust pipe just after the turbo and shoot pressurized wmo into the exhaust. the temps will still be hot enough to cause the oil to smoke and smell like ass for miles ;P

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
probably has a tc lockup switch on it,
haveing something ya dont know what it is is a bad thing.
I had the same thing on my 00 if your not carefull you will smoke a stock tranny.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, its the TC lock up mod and he has a 4R100 in his 00. You can do the same mod on an E4OD and the mod has its benefits in certain situations, the last reason I would do it is to put on a smoke show.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
A TC lockup switch is a transmission saver-but in the wrong hands it is a good way to tear up a perfectly good transmission.I have run a lock up switch for years and lots of towing wouldn't be with out it .but when ever some one else drives it I remove the fuse.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24108&highlight=torque+converter+lockup
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22477&highlight=torque+converter+lockup
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22806&highlight=torque+converter+lockup

Should be all the info you need right there.
Go have fun!
If its not enough info, just do a search. "Torque converter lockup mod"
There is enough info in those posts to get you to wire it CORRECTLY and safely. But like I said before, if you're going to switch it in and force shift it at too low of an RPM you'll kill your transmission quickly.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so no one will tell me how to do it?
1) 6NebIDI's just posted the links to the TC lockup mod.
2) Although the E4DOA's look similar between the '00 and your '92, they aren't. The '00 has three or four times the amount of friction material for the torque converter lockup. What does this mean? You can do the mod, but if you use it for all the wrong reasons....(read) you will burn up your torque converter and throw a code 62 on the scanner. The lockup feature is only designed to be used above 45mph.
3) This board is still populated by a bunch of grumpy(and dirty-minded) old men. We are old enough to be your dads. talk to each other like you were in their presence.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All it can take is one time and it's possible that your torque converter can take a crap leaving you as the backfired jokester learning how much it will cost to fix the truck. Good luck with it

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Fordboy

I have a TC lockup switch and would agree with the guys above. Having it is great but it does give the opportunity to break a tranny. Also, I wont let anyone drive my pickup unless they get a thorough briefing (no one has driven it but me till now) since it just makes me nervous.

oldmisterbill,

How did you go about putting in a fuse? I think thats a great idea!!!

Thad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online