Should I rebuild IP, or send it out?

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Ive been talking with a local shop here in town about my truck and through out our conversations I have been kicking around the idea of rebuilding my IP. But I just have to ask, is this a job I can tackle my self or should I send it out? I have seen the O-Ring kits on the interweb for less then $50.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a spare pump that is in known good working condition, actually in better working condition than the one you run now, then by all means go ahead and try your own rebuild - this way if it don't work out quite as you expect it you got something to fall back onto. But it is my understanding that after a rebuild the pumps need calibrating, for which you need a special machine...

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
well for one the truck wont start now, because algae in the tanks, and I would like to clean as much of that S*** out of the IP as I can. I also don't know how many miles are on the IP either.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that particular job would require specialized tools that you probably don't have. But, I've never done it. Mel or Russ would be the guys who could give you a definitive answer.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you no sh*% know nuts and bolts and have directions for dissassembl reassembly and other than the algea the pump works than its not too hard but you probly don't have the equipment to check tollerances and if so would then need to order worn out parts and if any parts are changed you would then need to recalibrate it on a calibration bench wich I bet you don't have and if you do let me know where to get it. zzi know people who rebuilt them back in the day and say all they did was reme out the advance piston bore and put a new piston in and replace worn rollers and plungers but that would NOT be the same as a reman as the calibration is not checked and adjusted as neccisary but if you are confident you cvan take it apart correctly and put it back together corectly then for 50 bucks its worth digging in to it cleanning it out and seeing how it runs most pumps are replaced due to built up crud running a fule system cleaner thew didn't get out wich is a good thing keeps cost on remans down for every few that need hard parts a bunch are cleaned vent wire replaced and calibrated. Oh and you will definatli need to replace the vent wire you will also need a new governor arm IIRC. actualy with the cost of a reman I would try everything to get all the crud out of the system and throw a reman and injectors in and be done with it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to contact dieseldummy from the 6.2 forum. He ha rebuilt DB2s. The right way to do it is to have the machine that calibrates them and so forth. No one here has been brave enough to overhaul and strap it on their beloved IDI, but if the G guys can do it why not us? Just understand what you are risking 1) It won't work at all....trashed core, money down the drain....probability significant, but unknown 2) Do it mostly right but it bolts on and runs ok, just not quite right, still has core value at some shops(if you don't tell them too much) Probability probably pretty high. 3) It runs great!! just like a rebuild (you were lucky or someone upstairs was smiling on you...or you got a pump that was good, just needed new seals and you were good enough in there not to mess anything up, probability unknown 4) You fir up your truck and it lurches toward the governor...scares the hell out of you if you can shut the fuel off, scatters the truck if you can't(probability unknown, but very real) Really, Justin, aka Dieseldummy was very helpful. He has no commercial interest in DB2s and won't me with anybody else's but he'll tell you what he did...very clever, probably beats the heck out of some of the bad "rebuild" shops nowhere close to the best ones. It works well for his "hot" 6.2 app.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You need to contact dieseldummy from the 6.2 forum. He ha rebuilt DB2s. The right way to do it is to have the machine that calibrates them and so forth. No one here has been brave enough to overhaul and strap it on their beloved IDI, but if the G guys can do it why not us? Just understand what you are risking 1) It won't work at all....trashed core, money down the drain....probability significant, but unknown 2) Do it mostly right but it bolts on and runs ok, just not quite right, still has core value at some shops(if you don't tell them too much) Probability probably pretty high. 3) It runs great!! just like a rebuild (you were lucky or someone upstairs was smiling on you...or you got a pump that was good, just needed new seals and you were good enough in there not to mess anything up, probability unknown 4) You fir up your truck and it lurches toward the governor...scares the hell out of you if you can shut the fuel off, scatters the truck if you can't(probability unknown, but very real) Really, Justin, aka Dieseldummy was very helpful. He has no commercial interest in DB2s and won't me with anybody else's but he'll tell you what he did...very clever, probably beats the heck out of some of the bad "rebuild" shops nowhere close to the best ones. It works well for his "hot" 6.2 app.

I contacted him he replyed one time and never gave me no information:confused:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken lots of pumps apart, but never put one back together. I don't have the patience for it! And that is without actually "fixing" anything. It's a forgone conclusion that the pump will need an advance plunger. That means the bore will need to be machined out, and an oversize piston installed. If your unfortunate enough to have a pump that has reached the maximum number of rebuilds, then the bore will have to be sleeved and the smallest original piston put in. By the time you replace everything that is worn, and assuming you get it back together, now you have no calibration machine which looks like this....
You must be registered for see images

In short, while you may be able to do it, the time and effort that it will take you - a person not set up to do this all the time - will be exponentially higher than what it actually takes with the right tools and equipment. My time is valuable and I would imagine yours is too. I don't think it's worth it, especially when an IP is something that when done right, will probably outlast your interest in your IDI.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ive had them apart and then back together with good results, but never replaced anything that would require calibrating. a couple of times to replace shaft seals, and a few modified for more fuel.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Ive had them apart and then back together with good results, but never replaced anything that would require calibrating. a couple of times to replace shaft seals, and a few modified for more fuel.

Thats what I was planning on doing, my main plan was to strip it down and clean all the crap out of it and rebuild it with new seals and O-rings. Would that be a good idea? :dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. Or calibration fluid as I think it is called.