Should I rebuild IP, or send it out?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a single steel ball in there that is like 1/32" in diameter. Don't loose it. LOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever the "calibrating oil" is it's expensive and once it's contaminated it's junk. That's why most shops won't test an IP they didn't build. If you're dead set on building your own IP getting a really good DB pump manual would be a great idea. Word is that Stanadyne makes these manuals but you have to buy from a dealer, and probably a lot of them won't be wanting to help you take a job away from them. On the other hand if you have a decent relationship with this person they might order it because it's not like you're going to compete with them without all the calibrating equipment and you probably aren't going to like it enough to build a bunch of pumps, plus they cn charge a litte markup on the manual. I've wanted to do this often, but other things take precedence most of the time and I'm not a very patient person, so I bet I would have a tough go of it. I'd build several "bad" cores I didn't intend to use immediately just to know I knew how to put it together and not loose parts. Many of the Olds and Chevy guys will "rebuild" their pumps as far as the wear items like shaft seals and maybe the advance piston as mentioned here but if the thing really needs a good overhaul beyond that actually take it to a real pump builder. Probably ALL the pump problems I've ever had were my fault for experimenting with biofuels or from a cheap, substandard rebuild or from leaky seals and such. The pump seals leak a lot of times and if we just knew how to fix those without taking it in for an overhaul that would be a benefit the way I see it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I took a pump apart once, i couldnt even figure out how to get it completely apart, it was rusty and junk inside, so i finally got mad and pitched it the yard somewere:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online