Rebuilding a 7.3

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i thought it was 175 vs 185 hp. either way a turbo will make up for it. i guess i'm just scared off by the C word.

personally i think Big Ed would graduate to "ultimate truck" status with a Cummins under the hood. match the best chassis with the best light truck engine. as long as i'm spending Darrin's money

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
i thought it was 175 vs 185 hp. either way a turbo will make up for it. i guess i'm just scared off by the C word.

personally i think Big Ed would graduate to "ultimate truck" status with a Cummins under the hood. match the best chassis with the best light truck engine. as long as i'm spending Darrin's money

What's with all these guys and their Cummins talk. Stay Pure, build an idi, and deny, deny, deny that Cummins is better even when faced with overwhelming evidence.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
What's with all these guys and their Cummins talk. Stay Pure, build an idi, and deny, deny, deny that Cummins is better even when faced with overwhelming evidence.

:rotflmao Barney dont get me wrong i love my IDI but it's a recurring thing here. a lot of the guys who push the power envelope blow them up. OK not all do such as Mel but it seems to be a bit of a pattern with the hot rodders *cough Travis cough*

i love the IDI for it's simplicity and reliability in stock form. it's just not the best platform to make big power numbers. someone above (on edit: oops it was you) said the truck aint stock anymore anyway so why not?

all it took was a ride in Travis' truck to make me a believer. now the Dodge chassis, well my old man had Chryslers all my life so i learned my lesson. though 20 mpg might sell me one day

but i'm a guy who keeps things kinda stock (NA 6.9 and now stock PSD) so what do i know about performance. i like longevity

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

:rotflmao ;Sweet

It has been considered, and I even had in my posession a 92 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins 5 speed that I picked up for $1200.00 It had front end damage. That would have made a good doner truck but the timing wasnt real good and I was able to sell it for $2500 and not even touch it. I just can't dump 6 to 7L into a Cummins swap right now and that it what it would take to do it right.

Ok So,..I decided to rip into spare motor #2, I purchased it about 2 years ago from a 92 F350 that had an engine fire. Complete motor for $100.00 I figure that I will pull it apart and see how the heads and valve train is.

I get it down to where I am ready to pull the heads, and the bolts are smaller than spare motor #1,...IT is a 6.9 :mad: also, I can't turn the motor over so it may be locked up.

So at this point I have a day and a half into tearing apart 2 motors, parts all over the shop and I am back to Square 1 !

That reman 6.9 on Ebay is looking better and better,...

Gotta head out for now, I will check back in later.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I didn't form my last post very well. I realize that's not big Ed's motor. I was just wondering if Darrin had actually verified that it was a head gasket, and not a crack. As for the Cummins talk, I almost voted for Travis at the IDI Rally. Tom's catagory of "Best Engine" was difficult to assess what it was that he was really wanting us to judge (no fault to Tom, who in his defense has never been to a rally and doesn't know the usual catagories), but if it was for modability or horsepower, then there was obviously only one winner there. The point of keeping the IDI is to be different. Cummins powered trucks are so commonplace now, that not having one is really the challenge worth mastering. If Big Ed were really to be honored with a different motor, it would have to be something else totally. A Cat or DT-466 would be a worthy project.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I guess I didn't form my last post very well. I realize that's not big Ed's motor. I was just wondering if Darrin had actually verified that it was a head gasket, and not a crack. As for the Cummins talk, I almost voted for Travis at the IDI Rally. Tom's catagory of "Best Engine" was difficult to assess what it was that he was really wanting us to judge (no fault to Tom, who in his defense has never been to a rally and doesn't know the usual catagories), but if it was for modability or horsepower, then there was obviously only one winner there. The point of keeping the IDI is to be different. Cummins powered trucks are so commonplace now, that not having one is really the challenge worth mastering. If Big Ed were really to be honored with a different motor, it would have to be something else totally. A Cat or DT-466 would be a worthy project.

I actually did vote for Travis for reason's stated abave, and just because it made me laugh. call me sick,..LOL

The thing is I really like the Cummins for power capability as well as fuel mileage. What I don't like is the sound. there is just something aout a turbo V8 that you cant get with a straight 6. Like my Bro said, as we watched a straight pipe Cummins take off from his driveway,. "you just can't make a straight 6 sound good" :D . But that is just my opinion.
That and the fact that once the conversion was competed I would also hve to change gear ratios and that can get spendy, unless I swap whole axles with someone that has 3:55's and want 4'10'5 (Gruss)

Now how close was Big Ed to getting a Cummins, Check this out:

On E-bay a couple of months ago there was a 1984 F350 Crew Cab SRW 2wd in Winsconson. It has a Cummins Conversion with about 20K miles on the new motor and converosn. It had a tree fall on the hood, fender and doors but the truck came with all of the parts to repair. It was a rust free California truck as well. It had a salvage title. I was thinking that I could buy it, I would have all the parts needed for the conversion, put an IDI back in the 84 and seill it and probablly have a Cummins COnversion for free. I was watching the acution and didn't have a chance to send the guy an e-mail. With 3 days to go I was going to ask him what he would sell it for, The auciton had ended to sell at the current bidders high price,..get this,...$1200.00! I missed it.-cuss I was figuring I would pay about 2 to 2500 for it. I would buy the truck have it sit in the back of the lot and do the swap this winter.

But back to reality,... Mel, I have not done anything with my truck yet so no investigation on what the probem is for shure. I wanted to see what my option were as far as a motor replacment since it is the same amount of labor to do the heads, as it is to swap a motor.

Since I am back to square ONE on the motors in my shop I have gone into looking into other options. I have located 3 or 4 trucks with low mile or rebuilt motors that I can purchase for 1,500 to 2,000.00 pull the motors and part out the rest of the truck like I did with the motor for the infomus Colorodo truck. Essentually getting a free rebuilt motor , it just takes a little more work.

Here are the links:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/366885229.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/350317898.html

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/car/357463800.html

The last one has a turbo and a new dually box, new tires and a 5 speed. He claims that the miles are actual.

The middle one has 40K on motor and trans, no turbo, but hard front end damage, and he wants 3K for it.

I am waiting for more pics on these.

So that is where I am at, still looking at options.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was always way more fun barely pulling away from powerjokes in my last IDI than it is to annihilate them in my dodge... IDI = :peelout =slammin' gears, driving the **** out of it. Dodge = :Whatever: = eatin' a burger, talking on the phone, going too fast... Maybe I should toss an IDI in that one :rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever fully disassemble the 6.9 to see how it looked, and why it was hydrolocked? It might yet be salvageable. You could buy ARP studs for the 6.9 much less than what Ken wants for his studs, go with a set of updated gaskets, balance the motor and you'd be good to go. You'd probably want a set of new pistons and rings though and check the rods and crank real good before you call it good. Bet it would go as long or longer than a 7.3 rebuild/reman if done right.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Did you ever fully disassemble the 6.9 to see how it looked, and why it was hydrolocked? It might yet be salvageable. You could buy ARP studs for the 6.9 much less than what Ken wants for his studs, go with a set of updated gaskets, balance the motor and you'd be good to go. You'd probably want a set of new pistons and rings though and check the rods and crank real good before you call it good. Bet it would go as long or longer than a 7.3 rebuild/reman if done right.

I agree with you on the 6.9 reman!

I haven't had a chance to tear down the 6.9. After I found what it was I got a little dishearted and let it set. Still is setting.
Once I got down to seeing the real prices on what a diecent rebuild would be, and then balancing and porting I was looking at well about $2500.00

I started looking for parts trucks and found one with 8K miles on a Jasper Rebuild for $1,000.00. so that is a better way to go.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
I started looking for parts trucks and found one with 8K miles on a Jasper Rebuild for $1,000.00. so that is a better way to go.

Yep I agree too.;Sweet
So who's getting the stockpile on parts now?LOL

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on the 6.9 reman!.............................I started looking for parts trucks and found one with 8K miles on a Jasper Rebuild for $1,000.00. so that is a better way to go.

Yup, pretty hard to argue that for sure Darrin, but it also is pretty nice to drive my "built" 6.9 in my '93, that should run for miles and miles and miles, and knowing that I did it myself.

I'm sure you'll do well either way.

Zigg :)