80-91 tilt column rebuild

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a much more durable replacement and I believe it's a bigger bearing.

It goes on the bottom of the column where the steering shaft bolts on.
Well day light came and went, didn’t have time after the sway bar and brake light connector

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for ball bearings, you can try McMaster Carr. Their listings almost always have CAD drawings with detailed dimensions. I had a spare column to scavenge parts from, so I mix & matched until I had the best parts between the two. Most of the parts only needed a good cleaning in my case. The U-Joint also needed to be tightened a bit.

The only thing I wasn't able to fix was the hinge pins for the tilt mechanism, so it's still a bit loose. Someday I might try making new ones on the lathe, but I ran out of time and patience.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will 2nd that columns are not fun to mess with. I had to go to my local Ford dealer a long time ago and ask how to take the column apart to replace the pot metal ignition actuator that breaks on all the tilt columns. They sent me to one guy, he was their "steering column guy". What does that tell you? They were all very friendly and he gave me good advice on what to do to get the actuator in without tearing it completely apart. The broken actuator comes right out, the new one that is not broken is harder to get back in.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will 2nd that columns are not fun to mess with. I had to go to my local Ford dealer a long time ago and ask how to take the column apart to replace the pot metal ignition actuator that breaks on all the tilt columns. They sent me to one guy, he was their "steering column guy". What does that tell you? They were all very friendly and he gave me good advice on what to do to get the actuator in without tearing it completely apart. The broken actuator comes right out, the new one that is not broken is harder to get back in.
Actuator is a peice of cake if you know what to cut off

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut off? I put it in like I bought it.
I didn't have to cut anything off of any of the ones I have done, usually end up having to do alot of file work to get it to function smoothly though.

James

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have to cut anything off of any of the ones I have done, usually end up having to do alot of file work to get it to function smoothly though.

James
But the thin end and filled it down that was years ago so I don’t exactly remember maybe just filing is good?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine many years ago. Would not surprise me if China made a batch that do not fit very well. Happens alot.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these supposed to just slide in and out? If so was this really just the snap ring, bearings do have a little slop anyways so I’ll still be doing that if anyone has a link for the one pictured
Also twisting input and output opposite meaning the u joint appears to be ok

Attachments

• IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 5

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea this feels like junk

Attachments

• IMG_1874.jpeg
    IMG_1874.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 5

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the,
Aluminum lower bearing retainer
1 Upper bearing from bronco graveyard no way in hell I’m taking the tilt apart
And a beautiful 9/16-18 die for the steering wheel nut threads since the 5/8 fine threads is pretty well gone

Wish me luck I guess