Rebuilding a 7.3

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
One of my options for fixing Big Ed is to rebuild a motor that I have in the shop, It runs but has a bad lifter. What cost is involved if I just install new rings, bearings and gaskets to freshen it up and install it instead of just doing the head gaskts on my truck?

How much of the work can we do in the shop and what should be sent out to a machine shop? or is it something that you really don't know till you take it apart?

Any input is apreciated! :thumbsup:
thanks

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well for one thing, You may re hone the cylinders or put a sleeve in them. Then You may want to check the block and it could need more work too so it is a matter of refresh an engine or re manufacture it.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
You already know what I'm thinking Darrin, I don't even have to type it :D

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
<cough> CUMMINS <cough>

I didn't say that though...

I'd pull the pan and slip some new rod and main bearings in, and stick new lifters in from the top. You could pull the heads and freshen the gaskets much easier on an engine on a stand than you can in the truck. What kind of mileage is on the used engine in the shop?

Ryan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Which motor ran better? What mileage is on either motor. About 700.00 for a rering kit on Ebay all the time. Its really hard to just do some of the things when your in that deep. For sure do the oil cooler o-rings on either motor you choose to use.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I would just totally go though the engine at this point.You spend so much time on paint,Body,accessories,etc on big Ed already that it wouldn't be right to just polish up a **** and drop in.Do it once,do it right!Might cost more up front but your gonna end up doing it anyway and then your actually out more money since the new bearings are worthless at that point.Personally,I would replace the headgasket to get the truck back going and rebuild the other engine and drop it in when your finished if your in a hurry and need a Big Ed.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Put your spare motor in, and rebuild the one that's in there now.

No sense having a stock motor in a custom truck.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
$$$$ wise bearings, gaskets, etc will cost more than head gaskets for your engine.
put head gaskets on and run your old engine.
then work on building the spare one.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs but has a bad lifter. What cost is involved if I just install new rings, bearings and gaskets to freshen it up and install it instead of just doing the head gaskts on my truck?

How much of the work can we do in the shop and what should be sent out to a machine shop? or is it something that you really don't know till you take it apart?

Any input is apreciated! :thumbsup:
thanks

Well, on my '86, when it blew a piston, I did the "freshen up" I honed it, put in new rings, threw in a used piston, bearings, used head bolts, and then drove it. It's still running today(after 60,000mi with a total of over 300,000) but it burns oil like mad. I got 4 years out of it at a cost of about $1,000.

On my new project, my '93, I decided it was gonna be a keeper, so I did the engine up right. I actually built the engine before I had a truck to put it in.

I had the block bored out .030, new everything, new "special" heads, studs, balanced etc. I still have the "new engine anxiety", but it starting to fade a bit. Thing runs amazing, and I hope it continues, but I did drop over $3,000 on the engine alone.

You got to decide for y'self. Do you want to just keep it alive, or is this the final engine for the Ed. Do you care to pull the engine again in 6 months when your used engine calf's etc...

Zigg :)

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
You already know what I'm thinking Darrin, I don't even have to type it

Hmm... a 30K mile Blizzard Motor perhaps,... :dunno The thought has crossed my mind.:D

<cough> CUMMINS <cough>

I didn't say that though...

:rotflmao Yup That is a possibility but probablly more like a 3 to 5 year plan. If I do it I want it done right and that takes real money. Not that I have been doing reaserch or anything,..;Really

I don't know what mileage was on that motor. I do know that it was supposed to be a good motor and I had it installed in the infamous Colorado truck. That is when we found out it was only running on 7 cylnders. When I got the rebuilt one that Ron installed he tore into it and found the bad lifter. It is a Clean Motor!

I think I am leaning towards what Nick and Freight said, just fixing the head gaskets, getting Big Ed back on the road, and then rebuilding the spare motor. Then I can do a good performance build like Zigg did and take my time with it.

Thanks! ;Sweet

,......skips off to buy head gaskets,....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think I am leaning towards what Nick and Freight said, just fixing the head gaskets, getting Big Ed back on the road, and then rebuilding the spare motor. Then I can do a good performance build like Zigg did and take my time with it.

Thanks! ;Sweet

,......skips off to buy head gaskets,....

If I were in your situation, I would do exactly that, just throw in new head gaskets in the Big Ed engine, then rebuild the other one. That way you can take your time in rebuildeding the other engine and not have to rush it along.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather do it myself and know it was done right. Who knows what might have gone into this motor, but that is just me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above. It could just be a purdy polished ****....:dunno If looks sell then buy it but be prepared to take it apart so you know whats been done inside. Thats gonna cost you a valley pan... About $50.00. A complete gasket set... About $150.00..... But at least you will know what you have....