Rebuilding a 7.3

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Darrin, I have access to a 93 van motor that looks just like that for $700 with a warranty in grand haven. I think it has 117,000 miles on it though.

Tim

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Darrin, I have access to a 93 van motor that looks just like that for $700 with a warranty in grand haven. I think it has 117,000 miles on it though.

Tim

Thanks Tim, Probablly not a bad option.:dunno

I am going to wait untill Monday when I can hear back from the motor on E-bay that I posted. He is out till then. I am leaning toward that motor cause 1750, plus shipping $250 is a pretty cheap rebuilt IDI and it comes with a rebuilt pump.

Only problem is that I would assume that he does not have a lot of knowledge about who built it, how long ago etc because he is a surplus dealer, he just buys and sells stuff.

Also in his ad it says...

A MECHANIC FRIEND HAS TOLD ME THIS IS THE BEST 7.3 THAT HAS BEEN PUT OUT AND WILL FIT UP TO 1995 MODELS

Well if it was the best 7.3 that has been put out then it would be a factry turbo IDI, and I don't remember if Ford ever put an IDI turbo in a Van? Anyone,..? Also it only goes to 94, not 95, but I can understand that mistake.

Anyway still kicking around ideas and wich way to go with this project and asking Lori what kind of money I can spend,..:D that is a tuffy since I just redid the outside. I was hoping that I could wait a year or so to do this,.. Oh Well.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I always start on the inside - drive turds but they run good!!! I was always afraid of scratching the paint doing the internals!!! :puke:

dedsqwirl

Reaction score
Ford never put a Turbo IDI in a van. I have a 1989 van for $550, bad body. I will send you an Email.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that even on a rebuilt motor if it is new to you and you don't know the builder you are getting a wild card!!

IMO rebuilding a cheaper crap engine would be a better use of funds all be it more expensive in the long run.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The seller gave me a call this morning and as I suspected he didn't have much more information. He did confirm that it is a new rebuild that has never been fired. He buys surplus stuff, and then sells it. This motor came from a purchase of a Maytag Factrory. So my quess is that Maytag had this motor on a shelf ready to drop into one if thier shop trucks.

He also guarentees it so if I fire it up and don't like what it sounds like he will give me my money back.

Now I understand that a "good" rebuild should go 300K and the only way to know if this is good or not is to see what condition the motor is in in 75K miles.

From what I have seen for sale, you cant get a good rebuilt for under $3300 shipped, and most of them are a 4 to 5K. that is a long block. With this one I also get a new $400.00 rebuilt pump, injectors lines and other accesseries not included with a standard long block rebuild.

I can get it for $2k shipped. I think it is a risk that may be worth taking. I just have to talk Lori into it.

OR, I fix the Head gaskets that will cost me around 700 to 900 once it is all said and done, baring incodences, then rebuld the extra one in the shop and do the work all over again, and probablly drop $2500 in parts alone to do it right like Zigg did.

Decisions, Decisions,.......

what do ya think,.?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Ford never put a Turbo IDI in a van. I have a 1989 van for $550, bad body. I will send you an Email.

Thanks for the heads up, Sounds like a good deal but I don't think it is what I want to do right now.

You should be able to sell it pretty easily!

Thanks again!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Darrin, If I were you I would just put new head gaskets in Big Ed and then rebuild the other one you have. That way you know that you have done it right, and it will hopefully last a long time. But, that guarentees sounds pretty good, but I really wouldnt want to deal with all of the hassle of it if it doesnt run good.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Darrin, If I were you I would just put new head gaskets in Big Ed and then rebuild the other one you have. That way you know that you have done it right, and it will hopefully last a long time. But, that guarentees sounds pretty good, but I really wouldnt want to deal with all of the hassle of it if it doesnt run good.

What he said.:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Plus how long it's gonna take to get the motor out of there without scratchin all that fresh purdy paint. Especially if'n ya gotta do it a couple of times.

Bob's gonna need a bigger lift to reach that high.LOL

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Well I guess I don't have to make that decision, While I was sitting on the pot, someone else bought it.

I just talked myself into purchasing it and when I got home and it was sold,..

oh well,.....

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I got home and it was sold,..

oh well,.....

While I'm not a particularly religious man, I do believe things happen for a reason

There musta been something about this....

I just did the headgaskets (for the second time on my '93) and it only cost me about $300 overall. My back won't be the same for a long time to come, but, the engine runs real nice...

Something will come your way...

Zigg :)

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
While I'm not a particularly religious man, I do believe things happen for a reason

There musta been something about this....

I just did the headgaskets (for the second time on my '93) and it only cost me about $300 overall. My back won't be the same for a long time to come, but, the engine runs real nice...

Something will come your way...

Thanks Zigg, I agree!

Thanks to Rob (f-two-fiddy ) for the heads up on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

sounds like a great deal but I am not shure I want a 6.9,..:dunno

what do yo think? what is the differnece power wise, and would everything from my 7.3 bolt onto it?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd take a used 6.9 over an equivelent milage 7.3 any day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online