R&D vs Type4 cam?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I dont have the cam specs, they dont supply cards for it .
A few years ago some members will remember a jerk ih New Jersey that wanted a cam card to have his machine shop "inspect it" to see if it would work. Well I happen to know that his machine shop ground cams and he was going to copy it and "put me out of business".
When I worked for evergreen we used this shop for engine work so I called them and asked about scenario. Suffice it to say that story has long since ended.
So the grinder doesnt give out the specs they developed for this cam, its also the exact grind they use on the 6.2/6.5 GM.
If you guys want to spec one out, buy one , go for it, a cam profiler is pretty spendy.
If I had the specs ,I would post them, I had some years ago I posted them so they are floating around somewhere.

Bottom line is if you want torque, use my cam, if you want midrange to high rpm power,WITH a stock type turbo, use Justins cam, his are designed to work best with his pumps and turbos.
I get 18-19mpg with my setup. I have no clue about any others.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind my dyno numbers are with a stock pump turned up with the fuel screw. Next dyno will be with a moose, then one of r&d ,s to see what a modded 093 can support.

Russ, how big of a Moose Pump and R&D pump are you planning to test? That should be interesting. I've never seen your cam with a lot of fuel thrown at it. That would be cool to do. :D

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally, there seems to be a misconception about the Stage 1 cam and the J2 cam being the same. The Stage 1 is pretty close rpm wise to the Typ4 cam. The Stage 2, which is being tested now, is a bit closer to the J2 cam. I'm not sure of the exact differences between the Stage 2 and J2 but I do think some of it is in the timing. Anyway here is a dyno thread with graphs of the Stage 1 and different injection pumps.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1342155-some-dyno-numbers-and-turbo-info.html

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the torque cam in my reman engine that I just built. And while it's all apart again due to a minor valve train issue (not related to the torque cam in any way), that cam made a serious difference. Currently, I am not running my 088 turbo with the hopes of running a bigger custom setup :) ....hopefully in the near future. But let me tell you, I was very surprised with the power that this engine makes with that camshaft in there, with it being N/A n all. Thx again Russ!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
No I dont have the cam specs, they dont supply cards for it .
A few years ago some members will remember a jerk ih New Jersey that wanted a cam card to have his machine shop "inspect it" to see if it would work. Well I happen to know that his machine shop ground cams and he was going to copy it and "put me out of business".
When I worked for evergreen we used this shop for engine work so I called them and asked about scenario. Suffice it to say that story has long since ended.
So the grinder doesnt give out the specs they developed for this cam, its also the exact grind they use on the 6.2/6.5 GM.
If you guys want to spec one out, buy one , go for it, a cam profiler is pretty spendy.
If I had the specs ,I would post them, I had some years ago I posted them so they are floating around somewhere.

I remember that individual and is why shops don't like to release their information.
I can vouch for Russ' Typ4 cam with a 100cc Bull moose and non gated Banks turbo made a huge butt dyno difference as I have been building a truck for a friend so I've had plenty of seat time on it. For out of the hole grunt and pulling, it's the cam to have.
Because of this, I also used the same shop to grind the cam for the Cummins and it pulled HARD with a 13k load behind it like it wasn't behind the truck.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should go back a ways and watch his vid ,something like" a nice drive" or something".
Showing the gauges and dash.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
super excited to run Russ's torque cam. no matter the specs.
hopefully i can get the engine compartment done this week!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well said Russ. I recall that fool and he was from New York. He purchased your cam and Mel's Moose pump. Then changed his mind of the build. Tried to seel this stuff on ebay with wild claims. He hand a pic of an intercooler that was taken in his home hallway leaning against a staircase hand rail. He did not like me mentioning he needed to stop attempting to sell something with grandiose claims as it was not correct. He was very mean to me and I'm a really nice guy. He hurt my only feeling too....:eek:;Really:D

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
You guys are really making me want to spend money I don't have right now to get another IDI for Bruiser and build it. Bruiser will see a lot of high torque/low engine speed situations (offroad). And the Enterprise's primary purpose is to take over Bruiser's on road hauling duties, namely the 8K fifth wheel camper, so also in need of lots of grunt right off the line. I need to win the jackpot :D

Russ, do you plan to do an injector test with your cam as well? There's lots of feedback with good stock spec'd injectors, but what about Moose Misters/R&D "stage 1" injectors along with the different IP's? Would be a very interesting bank of information to reference with the different setups.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He'd have to book a month of solid dyno time to go through all those permutations. If you are to do this right, it's not just swapping parts and doing dyno pulls (not that changing a cam is like changing a carb jet), really there is tuning and timing involved for each set-up to get it right. While I'd be waiting with baited breath, I'm sure the man has a life and limited budget for such things. Remember, this is a side job for Russ.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
To do it accurately, he'd need to use the same truck/engine with all the different stuff. That's a whole lot of wrenching and dough. Either way, seeing results for more than just one setup is rather exciting. I've been interested in diesels for a good while, but only rather recently got into one and I'm loving being able to absorb information again (like I got to when younger researching Ford truck gassers and suspension/modification. I could go on and on about that, haha.

If I hit the jackpot, I'll do all of the testing and post results for him/you guys :Thumbs Up

So...does anyone have those winning numbers? :D

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this thread gives me an idea for sharing next xmas.......a very merry torque cam Christmas? :santa:

it does have a nice ring to it.:)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowd fund a dyno project ...

Engine dyno

Cams

IP's

Do vids make it into a Powerblock type show n sell a 1/2 hr Diesel tech show to the network...

Just sayin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86