Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deisel technical show ...not technician

And FYI

You must be registered for see images attach

Just sayin Russ

You must be registered for see images attach

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of attempting to be Lazarus (raise from the dead) I was wondering if any further information has been published about comparing the various cams available for IDIs? If so I can, or someone else, link the information to this thread so anyone wanting to know more can find it.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, how about an update now? :D

I have a bone-stock 7.3 IDI non-turbo and not looking to do anything super expensive or complicated (like adding a turbo, head studs, big pump)... would a cam change and turning up the stock pump be at all worthwhile?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read up.
If no reading up happens then i would say ,no

But then again I been wrong before

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been searching and reading, but almost everything I find has to do with turbo engines.

Although I have rebuilt a couple of old mechanical Mercedes diesels, overall I am not an expert on their care and feeding. My experience with repair and modification is all gas engine (some blown and turboed) ;)

I don't find cam changes to be all that bad when the cam is in the block... now a BMW DOHC is a whole different story, especially the V8's!

Another reason for not adding a turbo (besides the $2000-$3000 cost) is that I really don't want to have to dismantle a "plumber's nightmare" every time I want to service something on top the engine. Maybe I will just keep this simple and accept that my inexpensive stock IDI will get the job done even if slowly sometimes ;)

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a Banks Sidewinder(wastegated) kit, used if you can. The turbo sits far enough back that you can literally disassemble the engine with it in place.
You only have to take off the air cleaner/CDR tube(2 hose clamps), and the air box(1 hose clamp, 1 9/16 screw) to get access to everything.

I've left the turbo in place and pulled:
1. Injectors
2. Glow plugs
3. Intake manifold and valley pan
4. Lifters
5. Valve covers
6. Rockers and pushrods
7. Both heads, entirely, for gasket replacement.

It's nowhere near as bad as it might seem, and it's the #1 mod you can make to the truck that will actually do something. Take it from me; I was exactly where you were at 4 years ago. Now, a turbo goes on any IDI I really drive.

Note that the factory ford/ATS turbo isn't quite as good; it sits over the #7 glow plug and injector more and makes them a pain to get to.
That being said... it's still doable. I've done it.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice for any engine builder! I've always checked piston/valve clearances (and degreed in every cam) for over 30 years... none of them have collided so far including the 451 Mopar big-block I built with a .654" lift mushroom cam :D

Although it is surprising how far off some cams (and multi-indexed roller chain sets) can be. Just "dot to dot" is taking a chance.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An IDI is about .010" from failure, which makes it even more important. The clearances are /real/ tight at certain spots as the piston comes up.

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive been interested in a cam for awhile but i hear alot of horror stories about lifters failing or not pumping up after installing a cam. are the lifters reasonably priced?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok
So lets talk about this here cam and e.g.t's.

Screw easy,cheaper, faster, or better.

Egt is the key on an idi.
Ya need air.
Turn up the fuel screw on an n.a. idi and watch the pyro go up(you have a pyro right???!)
I have been in a cammed idi, its real nice, but the truck was not stock at all.
Ask idiot about heads and egt's.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what I've read when considering an aftermarket cam, I tend to agree with Wespaul, Macrobb, etc... Cam installation didn't seem as straight forward to me as the usual "bolt on" engine upgrades. I was intimated by the possibility of bouncing my valve train off the pistons. I've adjusted valves within tolerances, but have never done anything quite THAT drastic to alter engine timing. I'm sure I could install a cam assuming I followed the precautions you SHOULD take when altering the valvetrain. Bang for buck, it seems the cam is a hard one to beat. For me, the risk was not worth the reward when turbo kits are so plentiful. If I trusted myself to install the cam correctly the first time, I'd probably buy one from Russ. It should be noted I'm not nearly as knowledgeable OR experienced as several members above, so take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

Personally, I decided that for the trouble of installing a cam, i'd rather have a turbo. Bought a used factory kit, a new CHRA (another risk vs reward choice), and will install a superduty intercooler. I guess my headache isn't much less work than the cam install. Just more shiny stuff to clutter up the engine compartment! :Thumbs Up