R&D stuff

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a Banks Sidewinder kit($550 off craigslist) for the basis of my '88's setup - the flange is a T3(so any T3 turbo will fit); other components will need to move a bit depending on the turbo size.
In my case, the S360 needed an extra half-inch of V-band flange spacing compared to the stock TE06H, and of course I needed to modify the air charge to intake pipe.
The air intake(just an L with a hole for the CDR, with a 4" cone air filter) side was kept stock(ish).

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's 2450 for a turbo set up.
I have just over a grand into this.
turbos, headers, intake, plumbing, AND powersteering.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah I know... I'm going to be on the lookout for a used kit to save some money.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about this mega moose.
What kind of set up would you suggest with a stock sized turbo on my budget?
I wouldn't. not a street pump, your turbo wouldn't deliver enough air. but there are other choices.
I run a bull moose, and its great with a OEM turbo.
I smoke a bit under a load until the boost kicks in.

http://conestogadiesel.com/products/ford.html

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't. not a street pump, your turbo wouldn't deliver enough air. but there are other choices.
I run a bull moose, and its great with a OEM turbo.
I smoke a bit under a load until the boost kicks in.

http://conestogadiesel.com/products/ford.html

I was just looking at these.
I'm good with the bull moose, but the mister injectors for $785. :/ Would I be fine to run the stage 1 from r&d($380)? I'm definitely going to need new injectors for this build. For the smoke I'll be using the puff limiter from hypertech.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was just looking at these.
I'm good with the bull moose, but the mister injectors for $785. :/ Would I be fine to run the stage 1 from r&d($380)? I'm definitely going to need new injectors for this build. For the smoke I'll be using the puff limiter from hypertech.
Personally I would match injectors to pump builder. But that's just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told the r&d stage ones can be a bit smokey. I haven't seen any in person though. That being said I have seen Elijahs truck and the moose misters in his truck burn clean. Personally if I was you if you decide to go with an off the shelf used turbo kit I'd put in just a good set of reman injectors(no junk ebay ones) with a 90 or 100cc pump.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stage1's with stock pump never smoked any more on my truck than it did before, maybe even cleaned it up some had bb code before them. Now if you have a 90cc pump and injectors. Yes it will smoke any larger than stock pump will smoke I believe till the turbo catches up. My factory kit(upgraded intake wheel) smoke off the line but one the turbo spools a little it's just a haze. A smoke puff limiter would be a must if your worried about smoke or good control of the skinny pedal works well for me.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys here's what I think I'm going to do. Rebuild the engine with head studs. Make sure she's good and tight and within all specs, replace anything that is remotely worn. Buy the RD2-110 pump. And look more in depth into turbos, Probably stock for now.

As for the puff limiter, I love the idea of less smoke with the same amount of power.

As far as swapping out my na IP for a turbo RD2 pump before I get the turbo. Could I just turn "down" the set screw a flat or two? To limit fuel flow.

Just a heads up... The RD2-110 is a hybrid db2/db4 pump.. it produces 110cc at peak hp.. but over 130cc at full tilt. Unless you are planning on 300+whp.. it's more pump then you need.

Most seem to be more then happy with the RD2-90 in a street/ daily driver application.

As far as his drop-in turbochargers... they are "drop-in" replacements for the ATS 093 charger. Its a BW charger that will bolt on to the factory ATS pedestal and use all the ATS components.

The stage 1 injectors he sells are solid. A buddy of mine runs them and they make a bit more power down low and seem to give a cleaner overall burn. He's running them with a stock high mileage pump.

Justin is a pretty straight up guy.. so if you have questions pertaining to his stuff... give his shop a call and he'll tell you what ever you want/need to know. I've never had any issues with him and he stands behind his work.